Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Repace wheel locks on my 2010 MDX Tech?

• Yes, replace them. They're cheap insurance and worth the hassle.

• No, don't replace them. Thiefs aren't after wheels anymore and they just slow down tire rotations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized my wheel locks are gone. I have a hazy memory of my tire shop telling me they had to break them off a few years ago, and I just plain old forgot to replace them. So, I started shopping around, and as y'all probably know they're not expensive at about $20 for a decent set.

But I was thinking, are they even worth the hassle? I've obviously lived through a few years without them. Granted, not too much travel or driving lately due to COVID... Are wheel thefts even much of a thing these days? I know catalytic converters are more of a target currently.

Are a 2010 MDX's OEM wheels worth anything to a thief? Should I replace the wheel locks on my 2010 MDX Tech?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have them on my MDX. That said, I also figure that any thief worth his tools will have bought the same socket that I bought to remove them. I can just hope that they slow the thief down while he looks in this large collection to find the Acura one. :)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I have them on my 11 MDX with aftermarket 20" rims. Nothing will stop them if they want my +8 year old rims bad enough. I just figure the wheel locks will slow them down enough to look for something easier.

Reactions: NoSalt

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think it's worth the tiny little investment. You never know when interest will suddenly peak again in wheel thefts. All of a sudden in Toronto, we're setting records for carjackings at gunpoint with no way to explain the sudden spike. You never know.

This was a while ago, but a coworker had his wheels stolen and the thieves pushed the car off the blocks for fun instead of leaving it propped up. So the car was left flat on it's belly. Another person I knew (not my friend) cracked a rim doing donuts in a parking lot, so he ripped off a neighbour's rim to replace it.

You just never know. Spend the change, spare the headache.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
You can also say that about anything; but, we still lock our cars, lock doors at home, have alarm systems, have insurance, use PIN numbers, have ID badges, and password protect online log ins. I don't know if my $20 aftermarket wheel locks saved me or a waste of money in the last +8 years; but, my 20" RonJon rims are still on the MDX after +150,000 miles and multiple trips coast-to-coast.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs

Reactions: NoSalt

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can also say that about anything; but, we still lock our cars, lock doors at home, have alarm systems, have insurance, use PIN numbers, have ID badges, and password protect online log ins. I don't know if my $20 aftermarket wheel locks saved me or a waste of money in the last +8 years; but, my 20" RonJon rims are still on the MDX after +150,000 miles and multiple trips coast-to-coast.

View attachment 120969
View attachment 120970
You're right. The benefit (or lack of) is intangible until something happens to indicate whether or not it helped. If you never know whether it helped, you just lost $20. I wouldn't be crying about $20 falling out of my wallet. Nice to see your X has served you well! Mine has too.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts