Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pass this along for general information for those considering wheel locks. I got a set from Tim long ago but never (as far as I know) had them "tested" until this last Saturday.
My sharp eyed daughter mentioned that one tire seemed low and the tire gauge indeed indicated it was ...... just enough that I wanted to get it tested for a slow leak.
Took it by a local major tire shop and asked them to remove the tire and test it.
As I was relaxing reading old Car & Driver mags in the waiting room the service tech sought me out and said, "please tell me where you have your tire key, I've looked everywhere and tried everything and I can't get the tire off."
I felt bad that I had forgotten the wheel locks but very good that even a tire dealer didn't have a tool or "master" that would bypass the lock.
Meep Meep
(PS - I keep mine in the little headrest box in the rear, seems like a pretty good place).

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Oh there is a master but it ruines the lock and most of the time the wheel itself :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Totally agreed with RoadRunner. The storage in the back is perfect to hide the wheel lock key. :D

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I keep mine in the jack compartment

There is a little spot in the lack compartment that works fine for the key.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Quite some time ago I believe our good old lost friend Paul aka Acura4Life reported an attempted theft of his wheel(s) - apparently, regular lognuts were removed, and only the key prevented them from stealing the wheel(s).

However as a part of that discussion it was mentioned that "crooks" can use an oversized nut-driver to hammer it over the lock and...

I am sure that RR's tire dealer just did not want to 'deface' the car.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
vip9 said:
Quite some time ago I believe our good old lost friend Paul aka Acura4Life reported an attempted theft of his wheel(s) - apparently, regular lognuts were removed, and only the key prevented them from stealing the wheel(s).

However as a part of that discussion it was mentioned that "crooks" can use an oversized nut-driver to hammer it over the lock and...

I am sure that RR's tire dealer just did not want to 'deface' the car.
These are all deterrents. If they want it bad enough they will take it. The only devices or methods 100% effective against theft are illegal. But they can be discouraged, and that's the best we can hope for.

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To JTM - Centreville

Hey, I just noted your hometown Centreville, Virginia. Wow, that brings back memories. I grew up in Manassas and our band used to do the Fireman parades all over that part of the state. Centreville used to be a pretty small spot in the road but I guess it probably has grown since then. Lots of good memories, especially making out with the majorettes in the back of the band bus on the way home :12:
Meep Meep

·
Registered
928 Posts
the wheel locks are for your own added 'piece of mind', nothing else. just as The Club - they may stop some drunken teenager that just wants to unscrew something quick (given he has a socket wrench to start with the regular nuts in the first place!)
a) due to irregular size of MDX's tires they are not in a high demand
b) GYs are not that popular around, unless it's another (fallen) MDXer looking for a full-size spare
c) if i had dubbs+chrome, i'd be worried and would look to spend on a higher security wheel locks (if such a thing exists), other than 'one key fits all' (maybe some 500 V shockers :12: or something)

·
Registered
671 Posts
This thread has gotten a bit goofy! I think the lowered 'X looks like crap!

·
Registered
238 Posts
A good pair of Vice Grips will remove just about any set of OEM type wheel locks. Of course it mars the finish of them pretty bad, but I know for a fact that it can be done because that's how my friend's rims got stolen. The theives were nice enough to leave the old locks laying on the ground and there was a nice indentation where a pair of rounded jaw Vice grips had been locked to them. Sad but true... If somebody really wants your wheels they can get them. Wheel locks are a nice deterrant and add enough time to the equation to make it less attractive. Beyond that, if they get 'em, that's what insurance is for...

·
Registered
238 Posts
DaleB said:

Those would sell like hotcakes in California! Acura is missing out on a big chunk of market! Just a heavier tint on those windows.
I'd like assure everyone that the percentage of Californians that are lowriders, gangbangers and wannabe pimps is actually very small. Nobody I know with would be caught dead in a lowered SUV. :D

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
This thread has gotten a bit goofy! I think the lowered 'X looks like crap!
You got that right, I will never ever understand why someone would lower a SUV, it plain looks stupid! A touring car and sports car hell even a econo car. But a SUV pfftttt.

·
Registered
238 Posts
DaleB said:
I live in south San Jose, nothing would surprise me! :D

Actually, someone reported seeing one 'dressed out' on 580 one time.
I hear ya. I've seen some people do some really stupid things to their otherwise nice trucks. I about laughed my ass off one day when some guy with a lowered Chevy pickup threw some bags of cement in the back and then got stuck on the driveway leaving Home Depot. :rolleyes:

Why on Earth would somebody LOWER a truck? I can't think of a better way to screw one up. Makes no sense to me. It's like taking one of the best things about an SUV and then ruining it. I can't wait for me Wife to get rid of her Lexus ES300 so I don't have to hear it scrape the driveway everytime she backs it in. And it's not even lowered!!! :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
you guys missed the point...
body drop is not just lowering suspension, it's adding hydraulics to it to allow lowering the body all the way to the ground - thus a body drop!

i was suggesting it as an alternative to wheel locks... ;)

think 't it, how 'd ya remove the wheels, if the truck has zero clearance... :2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts