Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasted a bunch of time last few days looking for my wheel lock key, so this might help others or myself if I ever dare to loose that key again!

It's not hard to take off wheel locks

Route A - Destroy the wheel locks:
The EZ way - Tire shops will take them off $5 ~ $10 each wheel
Tool Collector - Buy damaged bolt/nut remover tool Sears $20 ~ $60
The Hard way -Hammer a 12 point socket onto wheel lock, try not to damage your wheel

Route B - Keep your annoying wheel locks:
The EZ way - Acura dealer has master keys. $40~$50 for a replacement key
The Book keeper - If you have Lock ID, McGard will sell you a key for $14.99, 5~7 days shipping
The Hard knock - If you don't have Lock ID, have the dealership test with their master keys. There is a part number on the key, and a color code for each key. Give McGard that info. Pay your dealer expensive maintenance works you don't need afterwards.

Once I get my replacement key, I will prime it and paint it bright orange. Makes it easier to spot on the side of the road. :eek:

Please feel free to add any other info you may have here to share...

Reactions: TonyN

·
Registered
432 Posts
Once I get my replacement key, I will prime it and paint it bright orange. Makes it easier to spot on the side of the road. :eek:
[/QUOTE]

OR order a second spare:p
I got 2 keys when I bought my used acura wheel locks. Now that you mentioned this I am buying a second key for my other ride.
Good info.:cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the good information - I think I will also order a second key for both my vehicles.

Once I get my replacement key, I will prime it and paint it bright orange. Makes it easier to spot on the side of the road.
Or on the tire shop counter or on my garage shelves... that's another good idea. It's very easy to forget to put the key back in the glove box.

I have heard a few stories where people have left their key on the tire after torquing it and drove off...

Is wheel/rim theft a big problem or are wheel locks another dealer rip off ? I bought wheel locks for my wife's CR-V primarily to lock down the rear mounted spare which would be easy to steal...

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Is wheel/rim theft a big problem or are wheel locks another dealer rip off ?
Well, they're not a ripoff. You get what you pay for. And dealers don't push them; even when buying a car new, you usually have to ask for them, and they're a low dollar item. OTOH wheel/rim theft is not a big problem, especially with stock wheels. I've had wheel locks on several cars in the past, then finally stopped using them because they turned out to be more trouble and I realized wheel/rim theft was highly unlikely.

OTOH if you spend several thousand dollars on bling bling aftermarket wheels and you want peace of mind that they won't get stolen, then you might want to get a set.

I bought wheel locks for my wife's CR-V primarily to lock down the rear mounted spare which would be easy to steal...
That's another situation in which you might want wheel locks, even if you only use them on the spare.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I trash wheel locks! I worked as a Tech for years and never had anyone come in with there wheels gone. We did alot of tires a week. I found that the wheel locks are more of pain in the butt than anything. When I buy a car the first thing I do is get them off my car. that just my thought on wheel locks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
A lot depends on where you live and what kind of wheels you got on ur tires. I got stock everything and also took off the wheel locks when I first got the car.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I've had wheel locks on several cars in the past, then finally stopped using them because they turned out to be more trouble and I realized wheel/rim theft was highly unlikely.
I may go this route, too. I have them on all three of the Acuras and I don't think it makes sense anymore (if it ever did).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my area all my new vehicles came with wheel locks from the dealer over the years, not as an option. Never paid extra for them.

If you have fancy wheels, even if you have two different wheel locks on each wheel a determined thief can and will still steal them. (not speaking from personal experience fortunately)

If you never park by a bad neighborhood, you probably won't need wheel locks. Wheel locks are for a tiny peace of mind from opportunistic / amateur thief.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wasted a bunch of time last few days looking for my wheel lock key, so this might help others or myself if I ever dare to loose that key again!

It's not hard to take off wheel locks
Route A - Destroy the wheel locks:​
The EZ way - Tire shops will take them off $5 ~ $10 each wheel​
Tool Collector - Buy damaged bolt/nut remover tool Sears $20 ~ $60​
The Hard way -Hammer a 12 point socket onto wheel lock, try not to damage your wheel​

Route B - Keep your annoying wheel locks:​
The EZ way - Acura dealer has master keys. $40~$50 for a replacement key​
The Book keeper - If you have Lock ID, McGard will sell you a key for $14.99, 5~7 days shipping​
The Hard knock - If you don't have Lock ID, have the dealership test with their master keys. There is a part number on the key, and a color code for each key. Give McGard that info. Pay your dealer expensive maintenance works you don't need afterwards.​

Please feel free to add any other info you may have here to share...
Thank you so much for your detailed instructions, I just found out I loss my wheel-lock key and was worried how to get it off my Acura MDX as I wanted to do tire's rotation and what to do when it's time to change the tires. You're lifesaver, I do appreciate your post here very much. God bless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts