Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 02 SS touring w/nav and have just noticed that the center caps on the wheels have a white "corroded" look around the outside edge. Had this same problem on our 2000 accord ex-v6 and they were replaced under warranty. Thought acura would have solved this problem but I guess not. Almost looks like water or whatever got under the clear film covering the cap.Searched but could not find anything similar. Anyone else have this problem? I only have 3000 miles and drove once in the snow.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
I haven't had this problem on mine, should be a warranty item.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I hope you haven't used any wheel cleaners....
They often damage the clear coat protection leaving you with something that resembles soap scum on a glass shower door.

I wax mine from day one. This facilitates easy cleaning and keeps the break dust from adhering.

Once damaged, I have found the only cure to be replacements....

Wax when new and at least twice a year and your wheel will keep that "new look" longer....;)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
JMT2003 & willie_z,

I use tire cleaner everytime I wash X. So far, I don't have any problem as what you describe. My X is almost 13 month-old and has over 18K miles on it.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The center caps are plastic, aren't they?

Either wheel cleaner ate them around the edges, or there's some other wax residue in the seam. Unless there's a "clear sticker" over the cap itself and it's just peeling off.

Pick at it and see what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is a common problem.

Our GSR has the problem. My 2001 MDX had the problem.

I had the dealer replace the center caps. I sprayed them with several coats of clear coat for wheels. Kept them nice.

I just traded for a 2003. I will remove the caps and do the same.

Cheers,
J

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks jhette and to all others who responded. will definitely get them replaced under warranty. I like your idea about spraying them with clearcoat. I wonder what Acura was thinking when they designed these. It appears that water is getting between the clear sticker and the plastic cap. same thing is happening to the wife's 03 TL.It's a shame because acura could have made the caps better for maybe 10 cents more per cap. Oh well but the mechanical aspects of the X are still better than any other SUV out there at the same price. Thanks again to all

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have a 2003 with 1800 miles on it and the exact same thing is happening to them. I agree that for a few cents more Acura could have prevented this. For about a hundred dollars more they could have built this car as the vehicle it portrays itself to be (lighted controls on the steering wheel, labels for high and low on the seat heaters, auto off headlights in both positions, etc., etc., etc.).:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts