Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle:
2008 Acura MDX Tech (not ads)

Need some advise on wheel alignment. After replacing front struts and back shocks with KYB, checked all suspension items while at it and all was good. Took the MDX in for alignment and as per picture attached, looks pretty good to me but the truck pulls to the right. I went back to the shop for a recheck and they basically said the alignment was performed to Acura's specifications and will not redo based on the results. They advised me that it could be the struts, suspension parts or tires. It did not pull either left of right before changing the struts.

I rotated the tires first fronts to back, same issue, then left and right fronts swapped, same issue. Tire pressure before changing the struts and shocks I usually ran at 30psi cold because of the harsh ride the MDX had, now it's back to 32 Psi cold, I even alternate the psi (30-32) to see if there are any difference in pulling to the right. Truck rides even stiffer that before :( now but will live with it.

Any suggestions? do you think I damaged the tires running them at 30 psi cold for at least 1 year? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Tires should not be damaged by running at 30psi cold for a year.

The stiffness is to be expected- both because it’s a refreshed suspension & alot of forum members have commented on that effect with KYB. Personally, I can’t tell if it’s truly stiffer than an OEM new suspension. I’ve been paying attention as I want to do a full refresh and while we’d like stiff, we don’t want harsh.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
144 Posts
Have you ever measured your ride height at all 4 corners? Try parking on ground that you know is level, take a tape measure or a yard stick and measure ground to fender and see if the ride height is the same in the front and do the same for rears. If they measure up pretty close,I would go to another more reputable alignment shop that has a guarantee and have them re check it because it is really easy to cheat an alignment to have it all in the green for the print out. Uneven ride height(dead spring) could also attribute to a slight pull. Also remember, the minute you drive off the alignment rack and go around the block, the alignment will never be exactly the same as it was no matter how many times you recheck it but it should be really close.

Ps, I had KYB's for a few months until I switched over to coil over suspension with 32 way adjustable shocks and I couldn't really tell the difference between stock and the KYB's.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Since Firestone Autocare is a chain store/repair shop there is 12 mth warranty on alignment, I took the car in today to another location for a recheck and they did some adjustments now the truck feels quite normal.

Modded11MDX might be right, some cheating happened at the first location. Just to add I drive to Florida once a year and last year the same thing happened when I took the car in for alignment at the first location, I had to take it to one of their locations in Florida to have it rechecked and adjusted.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
main thing is steer ahead and total toe which made the difference. I'd call the original firestone and complain to the manager that you indeed were correct and it was not performed properly.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
144 Posts
Go get a rear camber kit so you can get the rear back within stock specs. Bought mine from Ebay but since I bought it back in 2018, it doesn't show up on my purchase history so I couldn't show you which one I bought. Looks like this though.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go get a rear camber kit so you can get the rear back within stock specs. Bought mine from Ebay but since I bought it back in 2018, it doesn't show up on my purchase history so I couldn't show you which one I bought. Looks like this though.

View attachment 117146 View attachment 117147
found these, looks good?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
if you aren't lowered or on coilovers, your rear springs are sagging causing camber...

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
144 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
This is interesting. So everything is simply bolt on? All the holes are ready? Why doesn't Acura include this part from factory?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is interesting. So everything is simply bolt on? All the holes are ready? Why doesn't Acura include this part from factory?

So the factory arm is non adjustable don't know why but since the alignment shows off it will definitely need adjustment to save the tires. User
csmeance mentioned sagging spring also which I believe it's the case because the bump stop is complete destroyed (bought it like this at 87k miles). Should I just change the spring and purchase a set of adjustable arms? or just the spring and recheck alignment? What you guys think? here's a link to moog "greaseable" adjustable arms which I might go for https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9USF43/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Thanks! How often would the factory arm go bad, do you need an alignment after replacing the springs, how much is an alignment? All these become relevant as to which way to go. Grease-able stuff are annoying. I have some Moog stuff on my cars that are grease-able. It was not pleasant to grease them every year.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
camber kit is a bandaid solution. Real solution is replace worn springs and bumpstops that are destroyed

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I think op's question now is whether to replace both.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
144 Posts
If you're going to replace rear springs and other parts, my vote is to just get this SF Racing coil over kit along with front and rear camber kits. In the end, you will be way happier and have a much better handling and looking MDX with fully adjustable suspension.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts