Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some serious help.
I have an Acura 2004 MDX TOURING with Bose and navigation.

Car toys put in a Kenwood 994s system and an adapter for the steering wheel audio controls.

1: The audio controls don’t work and car toys knowingly installed the adapter knowing it didn’t work. The installer told me so. This ticks me off. He said he’s been doing this for 20 years and that there’s NO working adapter. The up vol works sort of and the down vol rarely works. I’m thinking bull crud. There’s got to be a way to make it work. And I’m thinking why in the world would you install something you know doesn’t work?

2: This is the big issue. The heater now makes a weird sound behind the glove box area. This never happened before. Not when I got the car and it had the stock unit. The installer says all he did was install the Kenwood head unit. That’s it. And the steering wheel audio control adapter. He did find the plug in for the heater. Plugged in I have the sound. Not plugged in there’s no sound. But then the heater don’t work. It only puts out hot air. Changing the temp buttons from 60 and up makes no difference.

3: When in reverse there’s a high pitched sound now. I don’t remember ever hearing this before the Kenwood. And the Kenwood is not playing anything. The sound don’t come rhrough speakers but I don’t know where it’s from. Just not from speakers. It only happens when I put it in reverse.

What should I do? Can I get working wheel audio controls? Is car toys full of crud? Is the Kenwood why there’s this heater noise now? Is the Kenwood why there’s the noise when in reverse?

If you only put in the new head unit and don’t mess with anything else how in the world can this cause these noises?

I’m taking my car to Acura before the return policy time is over at car toys to see if Acura can fix all this.

What should I do? I really need to know ASAP.
Thanks all.

I recorded the heater audio issue in my voice memo app on my iPhone but don’t know how to share it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just did my own stereo install. I tried an Axxess steering wheel adapter. Even using their custom instructions it did not work. Took it out and sent it back. Don't know if the PAC works or not.

As to the noise your hearing with the heater on. Does it change with fan speed? Wondering if the tucked the SW adapter somewhere against a duct and vibrating.

The only tie in to reverse would be if you a rear camera. Did they install one?

·
Registered
961 Posts
3: When in reverse there’s a high pitched sound now. I don’t remember ever hearing this before the Kenwood. And the Kenwood is not playing anything. The sound don’t come rhrough speakers but I don’t know where it’s from. Just not from speakers. It only happens when I put it in reverse.
May be the rear pad wear sensors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just did my own stereo install. I tried an Axxess steering wheel adapter. Even using their custom instructions it did not work. Took it out and sent it back. Don't know if the PAC works or not.

As to the noise your hearing with the heater on. Does it change with fan speed? Wondering if the tucked the SW adapter somewhere against a duct and vibrating.

The only tie in to reverse would be if you a rear camera. Did they install one?
I forgot to mention.
The heater doesn’t have to be on. If you hit the off button up top the sound is still there. The heater speed don’t make the sound do anything different nor does the temp control. I have recorded the sound but I don’t know how to upload it from my iPhone. I saved it from my voice memo app to my iCloud and local phone. 30 seconds. The phone saved it as I think .m4a or something.

When pushing the gas pedal or cruise controls on and engaged the high pitched sound is there. I have heard a high pitched sound from race cars but not a normal car. I’m scared Acura will say it’s normal. I have major ocd and anxiety disorder.

Turning the steering wheel there’s a thump sound every so often. You can hear it and feel it. Like there’s notches in it or something. It’s only if you turn the wheel far not like small amount.

There is the stock nav screen with stock backup camera. Nothing added to the new Head unit which is below the stock nav screen.

I still have the stock CD player but it’s not installed.

What does PAC mean?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Perhaps a ground loop? I'd unplug the new stereo and see if the problems go away... If so, you got a bad install!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps a ground loop? I'd unplug the new stereo and see if the problems go away... If so, you got a bad install!
Thanks. How do I do that? Unplug the new one. Do I need any tools?

I’d love to try this.

Does anyone know how to get my sound file from my iPhone here without using a computer? I really want you all to hear it. I could text or maybe email if someone pm me.

I took video. 37 seconds. Publish to you tube but it’s been 20 minutes or so and the photo app on my iPhone still says publishing. Any video I publish to you tube like this always takes like a half hr even for 4 mb. Stupid. And my upload speed is WiFi plenty fast. Don’t know why Apple has to take so dang long.

The video is called

Acura 2004 MDX Heater sound

Maybe you can find it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I googled the
And up came some stuff even from this site. But I don’t know if it’s the same.
Now I know how to upload via you tube on my iPhone so the video is there. Please have a look and let me know what y’all think.
It’s called

And my name on you tube is Buggs1a.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Please just link the video :)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That is bizarre. If a stereo install causes that then they really had to mess up.

I guess disconnect the stereo to either confirm or rule it out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure what I’ll do. I’m not going to mess with it unless it’s way easy. I’ll look at the link you gave me.

I don’t have a clue about this. I only know with stock hu no issues. After the Kenwood hu install i have this issue. That’s all I know.

I’m going to have car toys take back the adapter. I’m also complaining to the manager that the installer put the adapter in knowing it would not work. That’s totally wrong and upsets me a lot.

I’m lost though. Don’t know what to do.

Edit.

I’m so sorry that at times I can be confusing. I have a hard time thinking of what to say. Like when I say I don’t know what to do but maybe I sound like I do know what to do.

I do know what I’m going to do. But I am nervous and anxious.

I’d like to share with everyone something about myself. I hope by sharing this people can kind of get a sense of my difficulty talking here and get a tiny bit of understanding. Why I may sound confusing at times etc.

I have Tourette Syndrome.
Aspergers Syndrome.
ADHD.
Anxiety Disorder.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Lack of self control sometimes.
Lack of Discipline sometimes.
Learning Disability.
Depression.

I’m an awesome guy because of the Lord. But I struggle with being social so please forgive me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Where did you buy your equipment? I got my head unit from Crutchfield along with the steering wheel control adapter and line converter. All of it was pre-wired, so all i had to do was plug in the harness and splice in a couple little wires for wheel control , and it works perfectly fine. The weird sound could be anything but sounds like a short of some sort. It would have been a lot easier for you to order from Crutchfield and do the minimal installation yourself, along with over the phone tech support, they would have liikely walked you through the simple process. As it stands, I would negotiate a fix with whoever installed your setup. DOnt pickup your car without testing everything and being completely satisfied with their work

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you buy your equipment? I got my head unit from Crutchfield along with the steering wheel control adapter and line converter. All of it was pre-wired, so all i had to do was plug in the harness and splice in a couple little wires for wheel control , and it works perfectly fine. The weird sound could be anything but sounds like a short of some sort. It would have been a lot easier for you to order from Crutchfield and do the minimal installation yourself, along with over the phone tech support, they would have liikely walked you through the simple process. As it stands, I would negotiate a fix with whoever installed your setup. DOnt pickup your car without testing everything and being completely satisfied with their work
I got this stuff from car toys. I mentioned that.
I am not comfortable doing any type of car install etc.
Crutchfield is not an option because they refuse to sell me anything. They told me last year I can’t do business with them anymore after some headphone returns I made.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Crutchfield is not an option because they refuse to sell me anything. They told me last year I can’t do business with them anymore after some headphone returns I made.
Now that’s a story I want to read...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now that’s a story I want to read...
Lol.
I bought some headphones from them and returned them for various reasons. Then they told me I can’t do business with them. I tried to order something and heard nothing from them. Found out they canceled it without telling me. I asked. Then they said they refuse to do business with me.

My mother is taking over now with my suv and the car toys issues. I have a lot of anger and I don’t want to take it out on car toys so I’m having her take care of it. I would get on their case and possibly swear and stuff. So I’m better off having my mother help.

She wants to have car toys take out the adapter and refund it. And she said she’ll complain to the manager how the installer put it in knowing it don’t work. I would fire him. But my mother won’t get that harsh with car toys. She’s more polite then me. I’d want to let them have it. Anyway she then wants Acura to look at it and see if they’ll fix it or if they say the hu install did it. I think it’s common sense. Before car toys no heater sound or whatever it is. After car toys problem.

Anyway she’s going to take my car to car toys tomorrow and do this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took the vehicle to Acura. $2200 to fix and do routine maintenance. Time belt normal like $1200 but for Feb $899. Anyway. Now I feel $6500 wasn’t so great for this car when I need to spend over $2k to do stuff. Makes me want to sell it and get another more taken care of MDX or something for $7k or so. But I don’t know if that’s even possible.

No sound issue when I was at Acura. Ticks me off. It’s guaranteed to start making that noise when I turn it on. But never happened when I got there so I have no idea what to do now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.