Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 65 mph, my RPM is at 1800 (5th gear). I want to verify if this is normal or too low. (07' MDX/5-Speed Trans)

What's your RPM?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Things must be boring this morning.

While this is a frequent topic of discussion on boating borums (on a boat engine rpm and speed is effected by many different things) I have never before seen it as a topic on an automobile topic.

Engine rpm is pretty much fixed by mechanical linkages. The engine rpm that you see the day your vehicle should be the same as that rpm you see the day you sell your vehicle.

George

·
Registered
348 Posts
That didn't answer his question George and frankly I have heard this topic of discussion before on this forum and it might be a concern to the OP.
Techm8n: I have an 03 and so it's not the same but my rpm is in a similar range at that speed. Supposed to save on gas for highway driving. Hopefully someone with an 07 will chime in also.

·
Registered
451 Posts
techm8n,

I cannot help with the specific question as I now have an '11 (6-speed transmission) but I can tell you that your RPM reading at 65mph sounds about right with what I remember on my '09.

Acura made the final gear (5th) run pretty low RPMs at cruising speed in order to obtain better highway MPG. I'm reasonably sure that your reading is right on the money.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone with an 07-09 mdx chime in and verify?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks. I thought I was having transmission issues.
No worries; for what it's worth, there's no sort of transmission (or other drivetrain) problem that you can develop that would result in lower RPM's for a given road speed. Any issue that would affect this ratio would raise your RPM's, not lower them. (the torque converter not locking, for example). The only way to lower the RPM's is to make a gear somewhere in the chain BIGGER.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just went and check on my friend's '08 and 65 mph is a smidgen below 2000, so I would say 1800 about right. Not too bad for a big vehicle.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a ODBII Bluetooth reader and I am using my android phone running Torque to view the data.

Using cruise control I can set the mph to 64.6 or 65.2 ( not exactly 65 .)

At 64.6 the RPMS are around 1902 - 1910
At 65.2 the RPMS are around 1915 - 1923

NOTE: on the odometer of the MDX the needle is around 67 mph.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a ODBII Bluetooth reader and I am using my android phone running Torque to view the data.

Using cruise control I can set the mph to 64.6 or 65.2 ( not exactly 65 .)

At 64.6 the RPMS are around 1902 - 1910
At 65.2 the RPMS are around 1915 - 1923

NOTE: on the odometer of the MDX the needle is around 67 mph.
Hey mesalum,

Where did you get the ODBII Bluetooth reader. I want to get one too. I have a Sprint EVO 4G Android phone.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had some Amazon gift cards and found one on Amazon.

I am still learning Torque. But so far Torque has connected every time I have tried. It's very user friendly. I leave the OBDII scanner plugged in all the time to the port. It has an led and if I was going to leave the MDX parked for long periods of time I would take it out.

I was also looking at the Kiwi PLX ODB2 Bluetooth device but it's $100. I got the above device for $45. There are warnings at the Torque website about the $25 units on eBay. They fail very easily.

There is a free version of Torque with some features disabled, but enough to see if you like it. The paid version is like $4.00.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had some Amazon gift cards and found one on Amazon.

Amazon.com: ELM327 BLUETOOTH OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER VAG-COM CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAR CODE READER: Electronics

I am still learning Torque. But so far Torque has connected every time I have tried. It's very user friendly. I leave the OBDII scanner plugged in all the time to the port. It has an led and if I was going to leave the MDX parked for long periods of time I would take it out.

I was also looking at the Kiwi PLX ODB2 Bluetooth device but it's $100. I got the above device for $45. There are warnings at the Torque website about the $25 units on eBay. They fail very easily.

There is a free version of Torque with some features disabled, but enough to see if you like it. The paid version is like $4.00.
Where's the OBDII connector in our MDX located? And what year is your MDX?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a 2007 MDX Tech (as seen in my signature :) )

The OBDII port is under the dash on the drivers side around your right knee as if you were sitting in the seat. If you slide your hand down there you will feel it.

The only issue I thought I would have is my leg hitting the OBDII reader because it's about 2.5 inches long and sticks down when plugged in. But I have not bumped into it yet.

One cool feature about the Kiwi unit is it has a cable that plugs into the port and then you can put the reader somewhere else.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 2007 MDX Tech (as seen in my signature :) )

The OBDII port is under the dash on the drivers side around your right knee as if you were sitting in the seat. If you slide your hand down there you will feel it.

The only issue I thought I would have is my leg hitting the OBDII reader because it's about 2.5 inches long and sticks down when plugged in. But I have not bumped into it yet.

One cool feature about the Kiwi unit is it has a cable that plugs into the port and then you can put the reader somewhere else.
Cool, thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts