Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which exterior/interior color do you all think makes it easier to maintain and looks nice? I understand that lighter interiors (such as parchment) can be really hard to maintain. But the 2015 MDXes don't provide a lot of combinations of interior and exterior colors?

For exterior colors, do you all prefer the lighter ones (White), darker (Black, Graphite) or the ones that are not mainstream (Maroon, Blue)?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I have a blue one. I wouldn't have considered a gray, black, or white one - especially gray. I chose it because I like the looks of the color and don't want a vehicle that's the same color as almost all of the rest of the vehicles on the road (gray/black/white). I really don't understand why so many people like gray but apparently a lot of people must like it, or at least will buy it because that's what's on the lot at the time they buy. But of course, this is all subjective.

The blue is a darker one, whereas I'd prefer a lighter blue, and it's not the easiest to keep looking clean. A lighter color doesn't show the dirt as much and black is by far the worst color for showing dirt. I simply wash it every now and then and wax it. The best way to keep any vehicle looking clean is to cover it - i.e. park it in a garage or use a car cover on it religiously. I park it outside and within 2 days it's usually covered with dust due to the area where I live so it frequently looks somewhat dirty. When I used to cover it, it would look clean for a very long time but it goes uncovered now because my wife usually drives it and can't/won't put the cover on/off.

I have a neighbor that has a black Tahoe that generally looks clean but that's because they have a detailer come by every week or two to detail the vehicle.

My Fathom Blue MDX has the Graystone interior and after 5 years and 52K miles it's still perfectly clean and looks pretty much the same as when it was new. It's taken no effort to keep it this way. I don't have little kids spilling juice and snacks in it though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've driven a Silver/Ebony 2005 MDX for last 13 years. MDX has been parked outdoor and color has held up pretty good and easy to keep clean. Have had a 2018 MDX Hybrid Advance White/Expresso on order for 8 weeks. My 1st white car in many years, if it ever arrives. Picked this color combo as they just appealed to me and wanted something different as I've had red, blue, black vehicles in the past.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had a 2009 black/ebony for 5 years and recently purchased a 2015 advance mdx crystal black/ebony. To me the black/black looks and feels the most luxurious and upscale so I would never go for a lighter color, especially interior. I really have a preference for black leather. I also have a 2012 Lexus IS 350 obsidian black/black interior :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
The New San Marino Red

I am now on my sixth MDX since 2000. I wanted something different and love my 2018 San Marino Red/Parchment Adv Hybrid. I would have preferred a bright metallic red, but Acura does not have near the color selection as Honda or other car brands. I now know I must keep it waxed to prevent the pain from oxidizing. My first 2001 MDX did have a nice Metallic Silver that I really liked.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a silver exterior and charcoal gray leather interior which is very easy to clean and maintain. If I am going to buy the next generation x, I would pick dark gray exterior and matching color interior. I prefer dark gray exterior to look muscular yet low profile. I do not like light color interior as it becomes dirty easily and hard to keep clean.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2012 mdx drivers seat is flaking and cracking. All the other seats are brand new. I was wondering if there's a defect. I'm only at 52k. I purchased it with 18k, and it had already started.
I wonder if you can just buy the outer leather instead of the whole seat from acura? Now that there's a dash kit for the mdx, I plan on keeping it for a long time. Just got to do my stereo upgrade. 2 or 3-way up from + sub, everything running active through an ms-8 or another processor.
I own a 2008MDX, white diamond pearl and parchment interior. I have found this combo easy to keep clean. Basic problem has been wear and tear on the driver's seat. I'm at 125K miles now.
Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Look up leather upholstery shops in your area on yelp, you can ask them if you can supply the leather as they are available on eBay, otherwise they may have to custom make leather bottom cushion, might not be that expensive but the one on eBay is under 200 bucks...

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I wonder if you can just buy the outer leather instead of the whole seat from acura?
Check with Acura on this. Car seats consist of the seat frame, the foam padding, sometimes things like a seat heater and potentially a side airbag, etc. plus the actual seat covering - i.e. the upholstery itself. This upholstery is normally two already formed and sewn pieces that attach to the frame and foam etc. via hog rings. This makes it not difficult to replace upholstery and doesn't require any cutting, sewing, etc.

I've redone upholstery in some of my very old (classics) several times and it's straightforward, easy, and not expensive. Extra care would need to be taken when airbags are involved - to the point where it's something I might avoid. An auto upholstery shop should be able to do the install and give you a price for installing OEM seat covers, i.e. the upholstery, on the seats, assuming the OEM covers are still available for yours. They wouldn't need to install 'custom upholstery' which would require cutting, sewing, much more labor, and wouldn't match what you already have. The OEM covers will match although due to dye lot differences it's possible it might be somewhat off from the passenger seat, armrest trim, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Check with Acura on this. Car seats consist of the seat frame, the foam padding, sometimes things like a seat heater and potentially a side airbag, etc. plus the actual seat covering - i.e. the upholstery itself. This upholstery is normally two already formed and sewn pieces that attach to the frame and foam etc. via hog rings. This makes it not difficult to replace upholstery and doesn't require any cutting, sewing, etc.

I've redone upholstery in some of my very old (classics) several times and it's straightforward, easy, and not expensive. Extra care would need to be taken when airbags are involved - to the point where it's something I might avoid. An auto upholstery shop should be able to do the install and give you a price for installing OEM seat covers, i.e. the upholstery, on the seats, assuming the OEM covers are still available for yours. They wouldn't need to install 'custom upholstery' which would require cutting, sewing, much more labor, and wouldn't match what you already have. The OEM covers will match although due to dye lot differences it's possible it might be somewhat off from the passenger seat, armrest trim, etc.
If those covers are available it would be great. I'll check when I get my next oil change and keep you guys updated.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have done auto seat work on a BMW. Not terribly difficult, but not fun. Seats are quite heavy, and cumbersome. I didn't replace the seat cover but I had to remove and re-install it in order to get at the occupancy sensor mat, passenger side. It seems that I also had to mess with a seat cover to get at motors/cables on the drivers seat, if memory serves. Not pleasant work, in my view.

Automotive seats/covers are something that you can pick up at a salvage yard, or they can get what you need through their network. For a 2012 these sorts of things should be readily available in your color, with no problems I should think(??). Worth checking into and comparing with new prices, if new is hugely expensive.

Also, I don't know what sorts of leather problems you are dealing with, but there are a number of ways that leather can be repaired. I live part time in Phoenix and there are many small auto upholstery shops with muchachos who are incredibly skilled, and reasonable. I should think that there are skilled people like this in most of the major metro areas, if repair is a possibility for you.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.