Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a happy owner of a SS MDX for about a month now and love it. I'm 6'5" and have never been more comfortable driving a car than this one. I sat in a friend's Denali and, while that vehicle is considerably bigger, my head touched the ceiling!!

Anyway, back to the topic: why does the MDX come with such skinny tires? I think I once read that narrow tires means better at pushing water out of the way between the tire and the road. I think this makes intuitive sense (since there's less distance from the center of the tire for the water to get pushed out to the edge of the tire), but 6.5" seems a little extreme. Anyway, have any of you ever heard/read that Acura intended to have skinny tires for better wet-weather handling? Or, were they just trying to keep costs down (and profits up)?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Will

·
Registered
103 Posts
Skinny tires also mean less rolling resistence, and better gas mileage. Also, skinny tires and rims also mean less unsprung weight which makes the car ride better. It's a trade off between better on-road characteristics vs. off-road. Acura made the decision (and the right one) that few MDX's will ever see any serious off roading.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Very narrow indeed

When I was searching for a rim for my full size spare I could not even find an after-market 17x6.5:( The smallest I could find was a 17x7, so I ended up buying the OEM.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: Very narrow indeed

msu79gt82 said:
When I was searching for a rim for my full size spare I could not even find an after-market 17x6.5:( The smallest I could find was a 17x7, so I ended up buying the OEM.
What was the cost of your full size spare? How well does it fit in the under compartment?

I don't understand other than cost & weight why they went with the space saving spare tire.

Is there a poll on this forum asking how many switched out to a full size spare? If not, it would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: Re: Very narrow indeed

crete said:
Is there a poll on this forum asking how many switched out to a full size spare? If not, it would be interesting to know.
Well I did a search for a spare tire poll, found nothing, so I just started one. Hope it provides useful information to all.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
WilburNJ

Anyway, back to the topic: why does the MDX come with such skinny tires?

A major reason for having narrow tires would be to fulfill Acura's mission to defeat winter. Narrow tires are what you want in the snow. Wide, low profile tires are not what you want on the snow - they can lead to disaster.
:eek:

·
Registered
715 Posts
wilbur, check out the posts made be "Dubbedssmdx" if you are looking for advice on wider wheels and tires. He da man on this site.

A set of 19" Mille Miglia Actions with 255/50-19 Pirelli Scorpion Zeros would look verrrrry nice on your X.

http://www.tirerack.com to check it out.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts