Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with over 50K miles on the X so far? or more? Any problems that have cropped up with the X? Being out for two years now, I guess those who have the higher mileage ones would know if there are any design / manufacturing flaws with the MDX.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Almost there .... 44K miles so far

I'm a latecomer, but have 44K (since Feb 2001). Lots of Vegas runs. No major problems. I do get the "brake clicking", Acura logo "ungluing" from the wheel center cap, some "mirror whistling", and one ugly door ding (above the BSM) :mad: .

Love the versatility (especially the 7 seats) and the fuel economy :) . A better fit for my growing family, compared to my parent's RX300 (which seems quieter on the highway).

I still have the original Michelin X-terrains and according to the dealer, the brakes are 5mm and 6mm (not sure how much time that buys me ... but I suspect that I'll be getting brakes and tires in a year).

I am also interested to hear about any high mileage X's and for those DIYs out there, where is the best place to order brake pads and possibly a serpentine belt? I'd like to keep a spare belt (belts?) handy.

Regards,

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey MDXLNT,

Where do you service your MDX? I only have 1000 miles on my X and I'm in your general vicinity. Just wondering if you prefer one dealer over another. Ever try Tustin Acura? I know they racked pretty poorly on the dealer rackings...

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Acura of Mission Viejo

Vehicle was bought and has been serviced at Acura of Mission Viejo. http://www.4acura.com

When I say "serviced" ... I don't mean everything. I do my own oil changes because I'm a Lubro Moly Motor Oil fan. I use it in my '87 Mercedes 300e which has 200,000 miles on it and now I use it in the X.

I'm planning on following the advice of many of the members here an plan to change the timing belt, water pump, etc. at 80,000 miles. I'm not sure I want to wait that long for the brakes and tires though. Been thinking about special ordering tires from Sams Club which is down the street from me. Still researching different types of brake pad and rotor combos.

Maybe I'll see you on the road... look for the the acuramdx.org sticker on the back window :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
MDXLNT wrote:
I'm planning on following the advice of many of the members here an plan to change the timing belt, water pump, etc. at 80,000 miles. I'm not sure I want to wait that long for the brakes and tires though. Been thinking about special ordering tires from Sams Club which is down the street from me. Still researching different types of brake pad and rotor combos.
Couple of questions and/or comments:

Why change the timing belt at 80,000? It is my understanding that Honda is conservative on its rating. I am not suggesting going beyond the MFG recommendation, but why change early.

I do agree on the water pump. As long as you are in there, it makes good sense IMHO.

Sounds like you are thinking about changing rotors [you wrote: "researching different types of brake pad and rotor combos"]. Why would you change the rotors at the first brake pad change?

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, good questions. Regarding the timing belt replacement at 80,000, it seems like a good compromise between 60,000 (severe driving conditions) and 105,000 (normal driving conditions). I'd hate to get stuck in the middle of nowhere having to pay full retail to get a timing belt changed. It's that comfort level.

Regarding the rotors ... I've never changed them at the first brake pad change, but my initial search on brake pads for the MDX came up with some so-called high performance pads and rotors. I'm not sure what "high performance" means and not sure if the pads can be used on the OEM rotors. In the past (other vehicles), I've always stuck with the OEM brake pads and have never had a problem. When I was much younger, I remember my dad purchasing non-OEM products and going with the non semi-metallic pads ... inevitably leading to squeaks.

I appreciate the questions, as they make me think. So, I'll report back in about 36,000 miles to let you know if I'm going to go for the timing belt replacement. My inclination for the brakes is just to go OEM brake pads.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
MDXLNT,

I'm sure glad you were OK with the questions. I have my "set beliefs" about maintenance and replacing good parts either way too early [seems a waste] or too late [not good].

The 3.x liter has been around a while [Accord, TL, RL, etc.] and I haven't heard of any early timing belt failures -- thus that question 'cause I am not aware of anything that would indicate a pending issue with the X.

My question on the rotors did indeed get an answer that was interesting = high performance pads/rotors. I haven't experienced any braking problems YET, so was curious what you were looking for.

You are way ahead of us on mileage, so please do provide updates -- I'd much rather learn from those who have been there.

Ohhhh, your comment on changing timing belt halfway between severe and normal -- would seem to me that the amount you are driving and the type [e.g. those frequent trips to Vegas] would put you more in the "normal category"?

·
Registered
89 Posts
srpbep,

I will continue updating as I slowly accrue miles on the MDX. In the last thousand miles, I've slowed down the number I've been adding ... started driving my "other" car which has over 170K ('87 Mercedes 300E). I guess I'm not looking forward to reaching 50K on the MDX, as I did not purchase the extended warranty.

Regarding the brakes, I've been considering "high performance" brake pads from a company in Costa Mesa, CA -- Porterfield Racing Brake Pads. I've never tried them and don't know anyone that has. I've only read about them in magazines and on the net. One of my neighbors races and suggests that I should look into cross slotted and drilled rotors.

Once I see the prices, I'm sure I'll make a quick decision
:eek:

I'll admit that my MDX has experienced pretty normal driving, just a lot of miles. I peek my head into the hood often enough, so realistically, I probably won't touch the timing belt and water pump until 105K (so I changed my mind about the 80K replacement). I, too, don't want to replace good parts too early.

Cheers,

·
Registered
70 Posts
Miles on X

Who has the most miles on their MDX ? :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm sure this doesn't compare to you '01/'02 owners, but I already have over 8000 on my '03 :mad: (lots of miles for only 5 months, but I love to drive my X!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm sure that this doesn't compare to most, but I'm just about to reach 45k on my 2001.
:eek:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I thought I was bad. I have a little over 6,500 on my '03 (took delivery 10/31/02). By the way, scheduled for 7,500 mile service on Monday and sure enough dealer tried to tell me that I had to have VTM changed. Backed off after I read him what was in the owner's manual indicating 15,000 for VTM change. Don't ever assume they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Not many on ours - 650 at 3 weeks. I love it and if I had the $$$, I would buy another one. Maybe I'll buy a TSX with next year...:2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
800 on my '03

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
10500 on my 02'

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I'm sure TheyCallMeBruce beats us all. In one road trip he clocked over 11,000 miles from L.A. to the Artic and back. What ya got now Bruce?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts