Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have 390,000 miles on my 2005 MDX and it runs great. Getting some body rust, but hope to make it to 500,000 before it looks to bad. Doesn't use a drop of oil.
I envy you..I loved my Gen 1, but literally rotted out from underneath me after about 150k miles. Now in a '16 about to roll 90K miles. Overall, the '16 feels less sturdy than my '04, but I also moved away from PA to NC so rust shouldn't be an issue. I want to keep this one until at least 200K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 2005 Honda Pilot, which is a close cousin to the MDX, and it was going strong at 240K miles before a bad driver hit me and totaled it. I had just washed and waxed it too the day before :(

I have a 2014 MDX now, too early to say how it will hold up and if electronics compared to 2005 are an issue or not over time. What I can tell you is technology or not, there are things that will wear out over time and need to be replaced above 150K miles. By then if your car is paid off and still looks good in the driveway, you may choose to fix these things vs. sell the car. There is the timing belt replacement every 100K miles or so, which is $1K , maybe more for the MDX. Your brakes and rotors will need to be replaced in the 150K range- that's about $500. If you live in a hot climate, Honda A/C units are durable but they will go out 8-10 years of use, that can be up to $1,400 if all the components are shot. And the one I hate, is when the catalytic converter goes out. If you live in an area that requires the safety inspection to not have any engine lights / codes to renew your registration, you can't get around this. The car runs fine but the cost for bank1 + bank2 + labor will set you back another $1K - $1,500. I never had any suspension issues with the Honda Pilot, but I understand now with the MDX the manufacturer struts are not cheap to replace. I have had stabilizer arms and engine mounts that needed to be replaced, but these are not major costs, and usually happen at an age when your car is already paid off.

I think when your engine or transmission starts to go, then you really should consider getting rid of the car vs. making incremental repairs. Really if you just change the engine oil and filter regularly on a Honda/Acura, it should last well over 200K miles. And when an engine does go, it wears out slowly so you will see over time oil use increase or dark exhaust smoke passing by the cylinder rings. it's usually poor maintenance if you hear about a car engine that seizes up when running - like skipping replacing the timing belt !

Even though mechanically your car may last a long time, if your interior starts degrading- lots of carpet stains that won't come out, ripped / cracked seats, headliner starts sagging, etc. - then you may not want to keep the car anyway. Major upholstery work is not cheap either. And of course there is the outside body too. Depending on what part of the country you live, body parts may give out before your engine does.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts