Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rapid approaching 15K miles so I wanted to check what Acura requires for service by going to the customer link off Acura.com. I am too lazy to open the glove box and fish out the manual to read. Much to my surprise the Owners Link scheduled maintenance does not include a VTM fluid change at any mileage but the online owners manual did. What's the deal here guys? I called three dealers to get a price for it and one said it includes a VTM fluid change which is a total crock in my book. Quotes were as follows:

McGrath of Wesmont - $240 (includes VTM change)
Continental of Lisle - $140
Joe Rizza - $301

This is essentially for an oil change, tire rotation and a few inspections. Since I have some warranty work I am going to take it Continental who will put in synthetic oil for another $30 which is not bad and less than what my quick change place now charges.

What are other's 15K service experiences and why is there a different set of service requirements in the manual versus Acura's Owners Link?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Me to

My maintenance light is on for the 15k and I'm stuck in the same dilemma. My dealer has some sort of canned package that I think is upwards of $300.00. They add stuff like coolant flush and replacement, VTM, etc. I also think this is a bunch of BS. Because of location I don't have a lot options with dealers. I also want to get the thud and mirror tsb's done at the same time so I'm thinking it will have to be an over night deal and I want a loner. The last two times I have been there they never even hinted "would you like a loner while you wait". Oh....this ought to be fun!:mad:

Niles

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
For what it is worth ...

... I would recommend following the old-fashioned printed version in the glove box, which I will do starting at the 24K mileage mark.

For myself John Eagle Acura gives all new owners the first two years (24K) regularly scheduled maintenance free, so I didn't worry too much about it:D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: Me to

nwaring said:
My maintenance light is on for the 15k and I'm stuck in the same dilemma. My dealer has some sort of canned package that I think is upwards of $300.00. They add stuff like coolant flush and replacement, VTM, etc. I also think this is a bunch of BS. Because of location I don't have a lot options with dealers. I also want to get the thud and mirror tsb's done at the same time so I'm thinking it will have to be an over night deal and I want a loner. The last two times I have been there they never even hinted "would you like a loner while you wait". Oh....this ought to be fun!:mad:

Niles
Just have the dealer do the items in the maintenance schedule! Sure, they will recommend a bunch of crap, and make you feel like a criminal for not spending money.

Heck, 15k is engine oil + filter, rotate tires and inspect brakes when the wheels are off, VISUALLY INSPECT a bunch of other items. Should be one to 1.5 hrs.

Try to resist the service writers...

rail's link is right on-

Ard

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys I know its a rip but...

Like Ard, I too used to do fluid changes and tire rotations myself and thoroughly agree that dealer routine service constitutes petty larceny. However fluid disposal, my time's value and the need for some warranty work are the reasons for my willingness to bend over and grap my ankles at the dealer cashier's window this time.

However the other posed question is the conflict between what is on the Owners Link maintenance list and the owner's manual. Is the conflict just simply a bust or has Acura changed its thoughts on service since the Owners Link makes no mention of the VTM fluid change requirement that most of us had done at 7.5K miles. Since the dealers will not give you a straight story has anyone else noticed the difference between the two maintenance schedules?

The MDX is the only 4WD/AWD vehicle that I have ever owned that required differential fluid changes within the first 30K miles and question the need even though I had it done to comply with the warranty.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: Guys I know its a rip but...

remery said:
Like Ard, I too used to do fluid changes and tire rotations myself and thoroughly agree that dealer routine service constitutes petty larceny. However fluid disposal, my time's value and the need for some warranty work are the reasons for my willingness to bend over and grap my ankles at the dealer cashier's window this time.

/B]

...well, hopefully you'll at least get a reach-around...

I've not messed with the owners link- I imagine the binding document is the manual. I agree, Acura should make sure they are in agreement, whichever is correct. If I had to bet, the marketing flunky that generated the website stuff took an exisiting maintenance profile and modified it- perhaps missing the VTM at 7500?

AS far as maintenance goes, the VTM4 is unlike most other systems. Those that use locked transaxles (classic 4x4) use a regular transfer case with gear oil (and long change intervals). The full time AWD systems (Audi/BMW?) use sealed viscous fluid (silicone) differentials which need no maintenance. The latter suffers from a loss of efficiency and attendant lower fuel economy.

I agree it is weird, and a bit of a pain, but given the technological characteristics of a electromagnetically controlled AWD system, not unexpected. It should be a consideration for new owners as far as maintenance costs go- the dealer charges can add quite a bit to the cost of ownership.

I've owned a Ford AWD, a Dodge 4x4 and a Ford 4x4, and this is the most labor intensive of the pack. let's hope it last longer than the Ford AWD!

Ard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts