Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

What's the best Fuel Cleaner to use?

25K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  hondacuraplanet 
#1 ·
Just curious what y'all recommend for a fuel cleaner.

#2 ·
From similar threads most will say Techron or Seafoam. I have used both and have had no engine issues. I typically use Seafoam two to three times a year with high mileage vehicles and boats.

Also some folks believe that no additive should be used.

#5 ·
I just tried Bg 44k Fuel System Cleaner on all three vehicles. I still have it in and trying to get down to under 1/8 of a tank before I fill up. I usually run 91 octane at Sam's club and don't have any issue with mpgs/power. The RDX and TSX are very close to 120,000 miles and I'm just over 55,000 miles on the MDX. I will keep track of my daily mpgs to see if it changes over the next few weeks with Bg 44k.

#11 ·
that's a very broad question, At minimal.. follow Acura's service schedule, If you didn't buy it new and are just starting off with it and have no old service records.. Start off by changing everything to start a new baseline.. then follow a fairly strict schedule. another member has a very rigorous schedule elsewhere on this site.. its about bulletproof.

#10 ·
if it makes you feel better, TECHRON is pretty hard to beat, GM even has it rebranded with their own part number on it ! Seafoam is oldschool but it works. if your running 91 or better fuel all the time you don't need it, however if your trying to clean up a neglected motor frequent oil changes and techron in the fuel for a bit are the two safest proven methods.

#15 ·
I saw found this article about carbon build-up for DI engines mostly caused by Turbos, PCV, cylinder deactivation systems, bad spark plugs, or even bad fuel spray: Why Direct Injection Engines Develop Carbon Deposits

I wonder how the Acura/Honda DI engines are doing long-term with carbon build-up? It might be too early to tell. I've heard VW/Audi/BMW DI engines having problem with carbon; but, most were turbo DI. There still might be a need for some type of DI port cleaner inside the combustion chamber if the long-term data sees a problem. Just not sure if the current port injection cleaners will do any good going directly into the +1000 degree cylinder chamber compared to being sprayed on the intake valves? Might have to do it like the good ole' days by taking off the air cleaner and spraying into the revving engine air intake to get the back of the valves?

Another reason to love my 11 MDX without DI.:29:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.