Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems Pandora is supported fairly well on 2017 MDX models...

anyone using anything else for offline audio? Google Music, Spotify, iTunes, Aha, regular old USB flash drive?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Podcast via Bluetooth phone + XM, and USB SD card reader for personal music. As strange as it sounds, if I need to find a random music while on the road, I just Youtube it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
XM, then usb, then HDD, then pandora.

The USB is Slooooooooooooooooooooow. I have about 16GB of music on it, but it is so slow to navigate. The interface is horrible. Not all my music is on disc, so I cannot copy/rip everything to the HDD.

I like that Driver 1 and Driver 2 have separate favorites. Unfortunately, when I get in (as driver2), it sometimes thinks I am Driver 1. I hit the unlock button on Fob#2 before starting. That is my workaround.

·
Registered
54 Posts
XM, then usb, then HDD, then pandora.

The USB is Slooooooooooooooooooooow. I have about 16GB of music on it, but it is so slow to navigate. The interface is horrible. Not all my music is on disc, so I cannot copy/rip everything to the HDD.

I like that Driver 1 and Driver 2 have separate favorites. Unfortunately, when I get in (as driver2), it sometimes thinks I am Driver 1. I hit the unlock button on Fob#2 before starting. That is my workaround.
that's typical of usb drives..they take super long to load with anything over 5gb. i installed two in my dad's cars and they are the same way, so slow that we ended up making a "short commute" usb and a long commute usb.

i'd recommend buying a used 32 gb ipod touch and plug it into the usb port. it's super fast and the interface is great on the car screen. you never have to touch the ipod other than to load more music and it always charges when you drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
that's typical of usb drives..they take super long to load with anything over 5gb. i installed two in my dad's cars and they are the same way, so slow that we ended up making a "short commute" usb and a long commute usb.

i'd recommend buying a used 32 gb ipod touch and plug it into the usb port. it's super fast and the interface is great on the car screen. you never have to touch the ipod other than to load more music and it always charges when you drive.
Funny thing is that in my Genesis, the USB is quite snappy. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap ipod touch. I have a ipod classic. I'll try that too. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

What software are you using on the iPod? iTunes? or just using it as a USB flash drive somehow?

·
Registered
54 Posts
What software are you using on the iPod? iTunes? or just using it as a USB flash drive somehow?
i use itunes to load my songs and playlists on the ipod with a computer, and then play through itunes on the ipod to the car's usb port in the center console. the ipod is always plugged in

·
Registered
5 Posts
Certainly not FM radio....I have a 2016 MDX and reception is the worse of any car I have ever owned or driven. Returned car to dealer several times to check radio and antenna and was told poor reception due to small triangular antenna on passenger side loading area, plus they had the nerve to suggest that no one listens to FM any longer, since XM radio has come about. Very dis-appointed in Acura.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My choices I use are:
1. Pandora
2. XM
3. DVD Music (MP3) Collection, over 50 GB of Ol' Skool. When it was safe to download collections of music.
4. USB.....for those quickie recordings or borrowed songs

Never used the HD...don't even know how....Never FM.....don't like commercials.....LOL

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a ipod classic. I'll try that too.
Keep the iPod Classic!!! Personally I really dislike Acura's navigation of USB drives. But the iPod control is at least acceptable - I would prefer to be able to control from the iPod itself like my JVC radio provides, but as I said it is acceptable when you use both screens. The iPod lives in the console box, out of sight. I upgraded mine with a 128GB SSD (previously 80GB HDD); I could have gone with 256GB SSD but I don't have that much music. The upgrade kit I bought on fleaBay had a larger Li-Ion battery to take advantage of the extra space available with the smaller drive. I highly recommend this upgrade! Anyone with a broken iPod should look into this, as the HDD is usually the cause of failure. Also, the SSD is much more robust.

Greg

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I just stream audio almost exclusively (I have an AT&T unlimited data plan).

I rarely listen to FM or AM and especially not digital FM since it's too spotty and cuts in and out in the hilly area where I live.

I tried the XM when during the free period, which came in somewhat handy on a coast to coast trip I did with it, but I got bored with their lack of selection so I never signed up for it.

-- Note to auto manufacturers - figure out a way to offer XM via an easily removable antenna rather than saddling all of us with the ugly shark fin XM antenna for a product probably most of us don't actually want.

I've used the CD player/HDD but I'm tired of any of the music I have so I rarely listen to it. I've listened via a USB stick before but not much.

For streaming I use a variety of sources from my iPhone. For music I usually use Accuradio, sometimes Pandora, sometimes Aha (although Aha always seems finicky as to whether it'll work decently or not), and have used some other sources. For listening to Rush Limbaugh or some other talk radio I stream it via a particular radio station's app - a radio station that's on the other side of the country, but have also used iHeart Radio.

I was quite surprised at just how well streaming has worked on coast to coast trips. Every now and then there are some spots with spotty coverage so I have a bit of silence then, which is fine, but the vast majority of the country is well covered on freeways, even in the middle of nowhere, so streaming works well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got a 2014 with Tech Package as my company vehicle, which replaced a 2010 Base MDX. Using an aux cord in the 2010 I could stream Pandora through the radio, but I cannot get the 2014 to let me play Pandora through any connection....aux cord, bluetooth, or Pandora input....what am I doing wrong?

I am trying to use an iPhone 6s.

When I am connected to the car with my phone, the screen on the phone now displays a black background, and the word pandora, and then there are two opposite facing arrows, and below that it says Accessory or something to that effect....

I finally figured out how to do Pandora on my 2010, and now with the 2014 I am back to the beginning again!!!! Please help...

Best Regards,

Scott

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got a 2014 with Tech Package as my company vehicle, which replaced a 2010 Base MDX. Using an aux cord in the 2010 I could stream Pandora through the radio, but I cannot get the 2014 to let me play Pandora through any connection....aux cord, bluetooth, or Pandora input....what am I doing wrong?

I am trying to use an iPhone 6s.

When I am connected to the car with my phone, the screen on the phone now displays a black background, and the word pandora, and then there are two opposite facing arrows, and below that it says Accessory or something to that effect....

I finally figured out how to do Pandora on my 2010, and now with the 2014 I am back to the beginning again!!!! Please help...

Best Regards,

Scott
You should be able to select Pandora as one of your Audio Sources. It will be listed the same as FM, AM, HDD, etc. If you live in Canadian it won't be listed as an available Audio source.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have used my iphone7 to play my saved music, just tell the USB connection query that it is an ipod, and it brings up the music. Haven't played too much with it, just put in on shuffle mode, and let her go

1 - 20 of 33 Posts