Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Underpowered and VW maintenance prices and reliability are incomparable to Honda´s
But basically really REALLY underpowered coming from an MDX.

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I can't comment on power (haven't driven one).

But I am not aware of any compelling reason to even try it. What is special about it?

From what I know, it seems to be an entirely unremarkable vehicle from a scummy company that doesn't deserve your money. Maintenance will certainly be both expensive and a nightmare to perform DIY.

I don't know you personally, 2001BlackUbmMdx, but based on our previous interactions I believe you're a DIYer -- either out of necessity, or a frugal nature -- and a VW product simply is not compatible with either.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen a lot of them on the street and just curious what is your thoughts. The styling is better looking than the Pilot, IMO. I know VW vehicle is known to be an unreliable car. It’s a whole new DIY world and it’s will be like starting from square one.

The MSRP: $32k-45k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
From what I can tell, the advantage with the VW is interior space compared to equally priced vehicles. Even the Tiguan was grown in size over the years. It would fit more if someone wanted the space/ease of a kid friendly minivan; but, wanted something more sporty like a SUV. Very hard to look cool in the minivan for us old dudes.

·
Registered
754 Posts
As recently as ten years ago, the car companies that could be trusted for reliable 1st year production models were Toyota and Honda.
The other companies didn't get their cars right, until the third year of production.

Regrettably, Honda no longer has an excellent 1st year production model reputation, anymore.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The engine is very old but reliable. The Toyota-sourced transmission is not very satisfying. Read here

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/802-camry-8th-generation-2018/1635302-xse-v6-exit-review.html

The AWD is not very exiting but seems to be usable and reliable. The body is quite strong for the budget and it is very roomy. VW also gives 6 or 7 years of warranty. So surprisingly, except the component from Toyota, it seems pretty good to me. I would do a test drive. If the transmission does not bother you, seems to be a good choice.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
BTW, forget about performance

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Your link is for the Camry XSE qqzj?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Same Aisin 8 speed AT, right? I am surprised about the reviews too.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I drove an Atlas not long ago and was surprised at how slow it was, It felt like an older Pilot (2G) with the 3.5..
I mean there is some power there as the 0 to 60 is just 1.5s slower than my MDX but at highway speeds it feels like its missing a pair of cylinders there is JUST BARELY passing power and the transmission takes decades to downshift.

Again this is probably because I drive my MDX way harder than the average Joe but I am expecting the same level of performance or more from a brand new SUV.. The new Pilot for example? is way faster than my MDX hands down.

But again this is the opinion of someone that is using his SUV like it was a sports car.
For the average joe this might not be an issue at all.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Again this is probably because I drive my MDX way harder than the average Joe.....But again this is the opinion of someone that is using his SUV like it was a sports car.
I expect performance is a big reason why many of us on here bought the MDX (in addition to reliability & aesthetics) - a bit of selection bias going on for sure!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
For sure! my 2 biggest concerns were SH-AWD and the mighty J37.. All other stuff was secondary.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I drove an Atlas not long ago and was surprised at how slow it was, It felt like an older Pilot (2G) with the 3.5..
I mean there is some power there as the 0 to 60 is just 1.5s slower than my MDX but at highway speeds it feels like its missing a pair of cylinders there is JUST BARELY passing power and the transmission takes decades to downshift.

Again this is probably because I drive my MDX way harder than the average Joe but I am expecting the same level of performance or more from a brand new SUV.. The new Pilot for example? is way faster than my MDX hands down.

But again this is the opinion of someone that is using his SUV like it was a sports car.
I remember the VR6 engines have very good low rpm torque for NA engines. What it is lacking is the torque at high rpm. So a lot of what you seem might be related to a very lazy transmission. In contrast, the new Honda 10 speed AT seems promising. That is why I am very interested in the 4th gen MDX. If Acura can perfect the transmission on Accord and Odyssey and pair it with a tried and true J35, I might give it another shot. The only thing I need to do is to find a way to shut down the cylinder deactivation system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts