Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the Zaino threads and have received my first Zaino order. After a complete inventory (I bought many items), I started to plan my attack. Maybe I overlooked something, but I didn't see anything in the instructions or in these threads about what to use to clean and polish the wheels (not the tires). Can I use the polish I use on the finish? Did I fail to buy something from Zaino?:confused:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I don't think you missed anything: Zaino doesn't have a wheel polish.

I just wash w/z7 (after the rest of the car -- the wheels are the dirtiest part, afterall). Typically I z6 them too (along w/my sidesteps) but you could z2 if you wanted.

I find a wheel brush is very effective at getting into the nooks and crannies between the "spokes" and the grime 'n' brakedust comes right off.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
KBD431 said:
I have been following the Zaino threads and have received my first Zaino order. After a complete inventory (I bought many items), I started to plan my attack. Maybe I overlooked something, but I didn't see anything in the instructions or in these threads about what to use to clean and polish the wheels (not the tires). Can I use the polish I use on the finish? Did I fail to buy something from Zaino?:confused:
I use Mequiars wheel cleaner and it works really well. During the wash..I spray the Meguiars cleaner on the outside of the rim and the inside of the rim...Let it sit for like a minute so it can lip the brake dust and grime from the road then I spray it off with the hose. Then I would use the Absorber or Chamois to detail the wheels. This work excellent.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
KBD431 said:
KBD-

Do you have pictures of your Overhead TFT monitor and DVD installation set up in your MDX? I would love to see how it is mounted and whether you are happy and have any complications with it. Please advise.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Never having gotten into "detailing," I spray the wheels with Simple Green, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and rinse it off with a hose. Later, when the wheels are dry, I wax them with Meguiar's Liquid Cleaner/Wax (maroon bottle) -- the same stuff I wax the car with. It works.

·
Registered
715 Posts
No, Zaino does not make a wheel CLEANER (I use P21S for that, or anything that is safe for all wheels), but as far as POLISHING, Z2/Z5 and Z6 work very nicely. I use them on lights, windows (outside), and most exterior stuff.

Just make sure you use a separate applicator and towel/rag to buff your wheels.....you do not want the brake dust and stuff contaminating your other applicators.

Do it and next time you wash your MDX, note that water sheets off the wheels (and tires, too, if you use Z10) as easily as it does off the body.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've used a variety of products (including Simple Green) but found that Meguair's Hot Rims works the best for me. I was amazed after I used it for the first time because it cleaned off gunk that I thought was permanent!

If you're wheels aren't that bad, it actually does a pretty good job of cleaning even without brushing. It's a bit more expensive (mostly because I use it up a bit more quickly), but it's worth it :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts