Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone loves these posts, I know. I had an '01 base, and sold it. Just bought a winter car, '05 mdx touring with nav. I got is crazy cheap, so I've got a little room to make it nicer again. Maybe.
What sort of things should I look for on this as potential issues?

It's a 195,000 car, with pretty good maintenance history. I don't see where timing belt was ever changed, but I'm sure that would have to have been done by now, right? TPMS light is on, which is no big deal. Nav just tells me to check disc. From what I've seen, I'll need to send that to Alpine to have them fix it? Or just give up the backup camera? I don't care one bit about that nav part, I'd just use my phone anyway...
Beyond that, it's got some noise in the struts, so they'll probably need to be looked at. Tires are 3 months old, interior looks like they raised farm animals in it, but it's otherwise appearing to be well maintained and in okay condition. Northern Ohio, so you know there's some rust, but nothing major underneath. Doesn't appear to be any leaks, a/d and heat work...

Anything I should check or anything?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Other than the issues you mentioned, and BTW I would assume nothing on the timing belt, the transmissions from mid 2004 through 2006 had the worst issues fixed, but still need regular fluid changes and it doesn't hurt to boost the cooling for the transmission. Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic is a much better alternative to DW1 IMO, but if the fluid looks black like it's been ignored ease into it with a drain and fill every 5K so you don't "shock" it. Otherwise that era is one of the more reliable high mileage Hondas on the road.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Here’s a link to Acura owners and you can look up service for various mileage intervals and cross check if the previous owner had them done. The other big one item to check for is a valve adjustment due at 105K miles. (The site is useful in case you need to get radio and navi codes.)

http://owners.acura.com/service-maintenance/minder

Besides the maintenance listed:

-Check/clean the throttle body
-Check the large compliance bushings in the lower control arms for cracks. Turn the wheels out and look between the wheel and cab.
-Brake pads

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts