Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I'm coming out of an 05 Odyssey Touring and looking at an 04 MDX Touring. Odyssey was totaled by a deer, so I'm looking for a similar priced vehicle to replace it, with the insurance check.

We can downsize a bit now, because the kids are older and we no longer need 2 carseats.

The MDX we found is at a dealership. It was locally owned and lived its whole life here in the Midwest. 2 owners and 169,000 miles. 52 service records, all at either the local Acura dealer or the local Honda dealer. Timing belt at 100k, transmission service at 100k, and lots of little stuff here and there. Differential service, etc.

Current dealer ran it through the shop and did a few things, new front rotors and pads, restored headlights, new battery, wipers, nitrogen fill tires. Tires are 1 year old. Can't remember what else right off hand. They say no issues.

It's Sandstone with Saddle leather and super clean inside and out. It's got some rock chips on front edge of hood, but pretty much blemish free otherwise. Interior in excellent condition, back seats look like they've never been sat in.

Bose, but no Nav or DVD.

Anything in particular I should be looking for?

Oh yeah the drivers airbag was replaced at Acura in 2015, but there's still an open recall on the passenger side.

Price is $4995.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Front bearings/ hubs replaced at 110k. Other than that mostly just routine maintenance, fluids and stuff. Differential flushes, etc.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Sounds good but really, Downsizing? The MDX is almost the same kind of vehicle.
Wouldn´t a more MPG friendly sedan or coupe be more appropriate? Perhaps a 4cyl TSX?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good but really, Downsizing? The MDX is almost the same kind of vehicle.
Wouldn´t a more MPG friendly sedan or coupe be more appropriate? Perhaps a 4cyl TSX?
We're having a hard time giving up the van and aren't keen on downsizing much. We have 3 kids, one in a car seat, on up to teenager. We're always hauling kids and gear around. With Scouts and sports and everything else a sedan just doesn't work for us.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me. I know I wouldn't sell my 225,000 mile '04 for that kind of money (and might not get that much if I did). ;-) They're very reliable vehicles - as long as the previous owner(s) kept up with the scheduled maintenance, chances are good you'll drive it for well over another 100,000 miles, or until your next deer incident. ;-)

Oh, and BTW... most folks consider NOT having navigation a feature - it locates the (important) AC/Heat controls onto the screen, and we've had quite a few folks lose those controls when their screen flamed out. OTOH, the "non-nav" systems seem to be bulletproof - and hey, we all use our phone apps to navigate anyway (way better than 10+ year old tech).

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
For that amount of money sounds like a nice deal if the Timing Belt has been taking cared of.
As for the NAV? You aren´t missing much, that old Acura NAV is pretty worthless now.. Any Map based GPS on your phone will be eons better... And as habbyguy commented, If the NAV screen goes on the 1G you lose your A/C Controls.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For that amount of money sounds like a nice deal if the Timing Belt has been taking cared of.
As for the NAV? You aren´t missing much, that old Acura NAV is pretty worthless now.. Any Map based GPS on your phone will be eons better... And as habbyguy commented, If the NAV screen goes on the 1G you lose your A/C Controls.
Thanks! Oh yeah I'm glad it does not have NAV.

We live way out in the middle of nowhere and my wife has a 30 mile daily commute on rural country roads, to somewhere even more remote. She frequently takes my 4 wheel drive, so it would be nice for her to have AWD.

It's almost inevitable that another deer collision will happen, so we only keep used vehicles for her commuter. If not a deer it will be an owl, vulture, raccoon, coyote, turkey, pheasant etc. That road is like Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom, and she has to drive it sunrise and dusk, 6 days a week. In 10 years we've hit 5 deer, 2 were total losses.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Man here in So-Cali the only things we have to worry in the road are dumb Jaywalkers....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read somewhere to watch for suspension problems on first gen MDXs. What specifically should I look for?

As far as the transmission goes, other than checking for nice red fluid, what should I look for while driving?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I can't think of any real big suspension issues - like any car, if it was driven in snowy (salty) conditions, rust can affect everything under the vehicle, including all the suspension and drivetrain components (and exhaust and the body, too).

On the transmission - just be hyper-aware of what's going on. You'd be looking for any sign of a "slip" between shifts (even if you don't feel it, you might see the tach jump), or bumps / jerks while shifting up or down. Because of the MDX's weight (4400 pounds) these issues can be a little muted, but you want to be aware that anything you DO feel could be a sign of future problems. Those problems could be solved with a fluid change, a new external component or two, or possibly a rebuilt transmission. One of the common issues is the torque converter whine - you'll only hear that when the car has shifted into torque converter lock-up (D5 only), usually at 50-60mph. It's not really indicative of a potential problem, but probably won't get any quieter. You can check whether the noise is a torque converter by shifting into D4 - if the sound goes away (due to the torque converter unlocking in D4), you know that's what it is.

Check the AC/heat and vent controls - they do fail fairly regularly. Cycle them through their ranges to make sure you can make the air come out where it's supposed to, and that you get good heat and AC flow out of each vent (including the rear, which is a separate system).

Oh, and run the windows all up and down - the window regulators do fail, though they're cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't think of any real big suspension issues - like any car, if it was driven in snowy (salty) conditions, rust can affect everything under the vehicle, including all the suspension and drivetrain components (and exhaust and the body, too).

On the transmission - just be hyper-aware of what's going on. You'd be looking for any sign of a "slip" between shifts (even if you don't feel it, you might see the tach jump), or bumps / jerks while shifting up or down. Because of the MDX's weight (4400 pounds) these issues can be a little muted, but you want to be aware that anything you DO feel could be a sign of future problems. Those problems could be solved with a fluid change, a new external component or two, or possibly a rebuilt transmission. One of the common issues is the torque converter whine - you'll only hear that when the car has shifted into torque converter lock-up (D5 only), usually at 50-60mph. It's not really indicative of a potential problem, but probably won't get any quieter. You can check whether the noise is a torque converter by shifting into D4 - if the sound goes away (due to the torque converter unlocking in D4), you know that's what it is.

Check the AC/heat and vent controls - they do fail fairly regularly. Cycle them through their ranges to make sure you can make the air come out where it's supposed to, and that you get good heat and AC flow out of each vent (including the rear, which is a separate system).

Oh, and run the windows all up and down - the window regulators do fail, though they're cheap and easy to replace.
Awesome info! Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts