Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I posted this in the Detailing Forum, but wanted to cross-post for more coverage. -cbarry
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have gotten an unfortunate number of dings in my MDX in 3 locations:
A) Front bumper, rock kicked up on highway-- paint is chipped.
B) Rear bumper, scratch and paint chip (parking lot I guess)
C) Driver's door-- couple of minor door dings, and 1 slightly deeper one.

Questions:
1) Should I try to get insurance to pay for the repairs of these dings/scratches? (I have never had dings in my car before, so sorry if this is a stupid question)

2) I am soon going to be participating in the Zaino group order. Is it necessary to apply touch-up paint before Zaino-ing, or can I go ahead and apply before touching up. (Still need to buy touch up paint!)

Thanks so much,
cbarry

·
Registered
91 Posts
insurance?

I don't think the insurance company will pay for small dings and nicks as they would consider it as normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Better to touch it up before Zaino'ing but if ya don't, ya don't. When you're ready to touch it up, remove the Zaino from the chip area w/isopropyl alcohol before painting.

Several of us have had success w/DentPro or DentWizard to remove dings. AAA has a deal w/DentPro for 10% or 20% off (can't remember).

·
Registered
45 Posts
My insurance would cover the door dings and rock chips as either a "hit and run" or "comprehensive" claim.

However, they would also open a seperate file for each incident--meaning I would have to pay a whole new deductible for each ding or chip--hardly worth it.

That is, unless I could convince them that some incompetent driver at the shopping mall moved their car back and forth banging their door all the way ;).

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
BSM

cbarry,

Have you considered Body Side Mouldings for future purposes?

·
Registered
580 Posts
door dings--

I got my second ding taken out yesterday at a paintless dent removal place. He also took of a scratch and touched up 2 chips for me. It only cost $75.00. The last time I got a ding and a scratch out he only charged me $50.00. So it's not too expensive, unless you have to go every 3 months to get it done.

Good luck!!:)

Lmeans

·
Registered
426 Posts
Re: door dings--

lmeans said:
I got my second ding taken out yesterday at a paintless dent removal place.
lmeans, I agree with you, if you have someone that can do a good job with the paintless dent removal it is by far the best way to go. I just don't like the idea of a body shop getting a hold of it if you can avoid it. And they usually will have your vehicle back to you in a few hours verses a week or so.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: Re: door dings--

RGWomack said:

lmeans, I agree with you, if you have someone that can do a good job with the paintless dent removal it is by far the best way to go. I just don't like the idea of a body shop getting a hold of it if you can avoid it. And they usually will have your vehicle back to you in a few hours verses a week or so.
I third agree...Paintless ding removal is the BEST thing on earth.

I recently had three dings and they removed it. ITS A MIRACLE!:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Paintless dent removal

I was wonder if any of you that have had Paintless dent removal done could answer these questions for me as I am considering doing it:

1.) Is the dent really absolutely invisible as they advertise?

2.) Does them drilling to get behind the dent bother you, and has there been any problems with this as far as it being too noticeable or rusting?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had the dings removed from my Windstar minivan. I could not tell they were ever there when it was completed. I had about a dozen dings from various sources. The person had a special tool they used to reach the dings from the window, without any drilling. I dont know if the same would be true with the MDX.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Both of my door dings...

...were in the door and he just went down the outside of the window. The first time I just stood there and watched him. It's kinda interesting how they do it. They just heat up the metal and push it out and buff it up. You can't see where the dent was at all. The second time he kept it inside for a couple of hours so the metal wasn't cold so I didn't stay to watch. I trusted him the second time around because he is so good.

RGWomack, I totally agree with you. I wouldn't trust my vehicle to just anyone. But I guess sometimes you don't have a choice. But if you can go to someone that owns their own business they really do care about what they do because they want to keep your business. Go to some Jo Blow that works for someone else that just wants a paycheck sometimes really don't care about what they are doing.

But I think if you can stand there and watch the first time they are confident in themselves enough to do a good job. Good luck to all that has to get the dings out still.

Linda

1 - 11 of 11 Posts