Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I'd go out and get a sandwich for lunch. I park as far as away at work as possible, just so I can have an extra walk in (Fitbit) and also, so that all the yahoos here don't park beside me and decide to swing their doors into my car... There is literally no one around me where I park, by my lonesome

So as I was walking to my car, I noticed from a short distance that there was a small pool of something under the car right underneath the middle of the car (which I guess is where the second row would be). I know if I had the A/C on, it would be condensation or something, but I have not used the AC at all, since it's still around 10 degrees celsius here this morning. I am somewhat glad that the pool of liquid was not under the engine bay so hopefully it's not serious.

I did pull the car up ahead and use my fingers to try to determine what the liquid was. It was not oily, and there did not appear to be any colour to it. It did not smell. I parked the car 3 hours ago. It definitely is from my car as nobody parks in that spot.

If this is indeed water, where did it come from? What's in the middle of the car that would leak this? Could it be something else that I need to get someone to check? I am not mechanically inclined, so stuff like this instantly freaks me out, especially given that I haven't even owned this thing for a month yet.

Any ideas? Am I panicking over nothing? Perhaps a squirrel took a pee under my car? Or perhaps the Lady Gaga music that I was secreting enjoying was not quite appreciated by the car, who decided to upchuck the liquid equivalent of bile? Hopefully it was the squirrel.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I'm leaning toward A/C condensation. Do you keep your climate control set to Auto? The A/C will still run in winter temps to help with window fog by drying out the air in the cabin. It might have been a little humid in your garage or just the result of the morning shower and jumping in the MDX soon after.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
i don't know much about cars, so if I had to guess, I'm going with the squirrel having taken a leak, just prior to feasting on peanuts- randomly spread along the ground! :29:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm leaning toward A/C condensation. Do you keep your climate control set to Auto? The A/C will still run in winter temps to help with window fog by drying out the air in the cabin. It might have been a little humid in your garage or just the result of the morning shower and jumping in the MDX soon after.
Hmmm...that is interesting, because yes, I do leave it on Auto, but the A/C is not turned on, but what you say makes total sense since it always runs in the car. I did soak a paper towel in it and it does appear to be water. I was going to wring out the towel into a glass and take a drink but I'm not that desperate (yet) to determine the cause.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hmmm...that is interesting, because yes, I do leave it on Auto, but the A/C is not turned on, but what you say makes total sense since it always runs in the car. I did soak a paper towel in it and it does appear to be water. I was going to wring out the towel into a glass and take a drink but I'm not that desperate (yet) to determine the cause.
It's not that hard to tell what a liquid is just from its smell, color, and consistency. Place a cup underneath next time you see it happen.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jeremy: If you use the Auto setting in the heating season, the A/C is turned on, too. As others have said, the air passes through the A/C system to dry it out so that we in the great white north don't fog up our windows with warm moist air. If you want to test the theory, push the A/C button and you will see that the display then says A/C off. Run that way for a while and see if the water issue goes away. (As an aside, my local dealer advised running the heat cycle with the A/C turned off to improve gas mileage by a little bit, since it stops the compressor from cycling on and off every few seconds while heating the car.)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Jeremy: If you use the Auto setting in the heating season, the A/C is turned on, too. As others have said, the air passes through the A/C system to dry it out so that we in the great white north don't fog up our windows with warm moist air. If you want to test the theory, push the A/C button and you will see that the display then says A/C off. Run that way for a while and see if the water issue goes away. (As an aside, my local dealer advised running the heat cycle with the A/C turned off to improve gas mileage by a little bit, since it stops the compressor from cycling on and off every few seconds while heating the car.)
Best left in full auto rear round...the compressor need that bit of oil circulating to keep it in top shape, plus your windows won't fog up in humid weather either.

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
594 Posts
Yes, it is water from condensation. The automatic AC system in this MDX not only controls temperature, it also controls humidity.

Reference: Page 179 from 2008 MDX Owner's Manual P/N 00X31-STX-6102

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.