·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of music do ya'll listen to?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, I selected 'other', though I listen to pretty much all of those listed *EXCEPT* Country. Just can't stand that for more than 5 minutes. Tends to make me very crabby and have violent tendencies. ;)

Donna

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I selected 'other', though I listen to pretty much all of those listed *EXCEPT* Country. Just can't stand that for more than 5 minutes. Tends to make me very crabby and have violent tendencies.
That's pretty ironic. I was born and raised in L.A., and country is mostly what I listen to now (at least the contemporary stuff -- KZLA). You would think someone from TN would be a big country music fan.

I still listen to a lot of rock and jazz fusion, but mostly it's country.

Don

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
There's an awful lot of Other out there, currently in my player are:

Strictly Genteel (orchestral music by Frank Zappa, suppose that's classical. The Dog Breath Variations are particularly good)

Close to the Edge (oldies?)

A Didgeridoo CD (been trying to learn one for awhile)

One of David Lindley's Twang Banjo CDs

...oh yeah, and for Dale, my wife just got me a Hawai'ian CD (IZ Kamakakwiwi'ole - dynamite!)

not sure what these have in common, other than they avoid 4/4 time signatures...

·
Registered
89 Posts
kuroyama said:

That's pretty ironic. I was born and raised in L.A., and country is mostly what I listen to now (at least the contemporary stuff -- KZLA). You would think someone from TN would be a big country music fan.

I still listen to a lot of rock and jazz fusion, but mostly it's country.

Don
Yeah, I get that all the time, especially since I live such a short distance from Nashville, Home of Country Music! (takes about 30 minutes to get to the city).

What can I say, it's just not for me! I currently have three 60's instrumental (themes from the 60's shows, etc.) a Floyd Cramer, and two Celtic CD's in my player (sitting at the body shop as I type). Prior to that, it was Paul McCartney, Louis Prima and Keely Smith.

No apparent commonality between them, just like to mix up the music.

Donna

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I checked "Rock" - since that's primarily what I listen to - but I like all types - except rap & very "twangy" country.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
My musical interests span the gamut from Donald Fagen to Pat Metheny to Paul Oakenfold to classic rock, to classical and just about everything but country.

Gene Krupa was my great uncle, so I'm also partial to swing, and new age swing as well :D

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
My musical interests span the gamut from Donald Fagen to Pat Metheny to Paul Oakenfold to classic rock, to classical and just about everything but country.

Gene Krupa was my great uncle, so I'm also partial to swing, and new age swing as well :D
Do you play drums? Or did the apple fall a little further from the tree...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Good old loud Rock n Roll for me.

The Beatles
The Stones
Eagles
Rush
Van Halen
Police
Supertramp
Led Zep
AC/DC
Ozzy
The Who

etc. etc.

long live rock

:18: :26:

·
Registered
96 Posts
As my log-in suggests, I listen to a lot of classical gutiar music, but also quite a bit of other music. No hip-hop or rap, and no country pretending to be rock. Some books on tape. Just did "Red Rabbit" by Tom Clancy (very interesting yet incredibly slow and boring all at the same time).

·
Registered
572 Posts
anything but country, opera or classical.

Classical is fine, but bores me.

Country and opera both make me want to cry.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Guitarmdx said:
classical guitar music,
some Django Reinhardt, some Segovia, but I like to mix my music depending on whether I'm city driving or taking a trip: some Otmar Liebert, some smooth jazz, Beatles, early Stones, lots of my own burned CD's of what I call "non-Beatle Brit Hits mix" like Animals, Yardbirds, Cream, Kinks etc. Rod Stewart, Sting, also mixes of Beach Boys, Dylan, Eagles, and other American artists. I also have lots of modern versions of old Scottish songs, and of course, some Bagpipes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You want eclectic?

We're just a couple of old Deadheads, but in addition to the Dead we listen to:

Folk/Acoustic - Guy Clark, Nanci Griffith, David Grisman, Robert Earl Keen, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Jerry Jeff Walker, Lucinda Williams

Rock - Beatles, Stones, Neil Young, The Doors, Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Roy Buchanan, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Zappa

Cajun/Zydeco - Beausoleil, Buckwheat Zydeco, Tom Rigney

Blues - John Lee Hooker, BB King, Muddy Waters, and Little Charlie & the Nightcats, who played at our wedding reception in 1986

Bluegrass - Alison Krauss & Union Station, New Grass Revival, Seldom Scene, Jerry Douglas, Tony Furtado

Reggae - Jimmy Cliff, Peter Tosh, Bob Marley

Other - David Bromberg, Jimmy Buffett, Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal, Junior Brown, Merl Saunders, Emmylou Harris

No rap, no metal, (unless you count Zeppelin), and only subversive country.

Mrs. BigDog

·
Registered
257 Posts
dmcconaghie said:
Well, I selected 'other', though I listen to pretty much all of those listed *EXCEPT* Country. Just can't stand that for more than 5 minutes. Tends to make me very crabby and have violent tendencies. ;)

Donna
Ditto:4:

·
Registered
257 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
The great Gene Krupa. May he rest in peace. There was nothing better than when my dad took me to a drum off with Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich back when I was a very young kid. Ever since then I fell in love with drumming and basically I cannot go a day without banging away to my hearts content. Kinda like therapy: I get to hit stuff and not get arrested.

The fact that you are related to the great Gene Krupa is a very very special thing.

Other great drummers to look for
Dennis Chambers
Dave Weckel
Carter Beauford
Billy Cobham
John Blackwell
Steve Gadd

So many others to name but I will just stop there. If you appreciate good music (not the crap that gets airplay) please search those names on Google and check out their albums/mp3's.:29:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I listen to a bit of everything, but if I really had to choose, it would be just some great rock.

2003 SS MDX - cdn model - res,back up sensor,cargo net,Husky all weather floor mats and cargo tray

·
Registered
66 Posts
Listen to jazz mostly, i.e., Dizzy Gillespie, Gerry Mulligan, Count Basie, Charlie Parker.

Some may disagree with me but Kenny G is not jazz. I can't stand him nor rap music.

As for country....I think it is popular nowadays because it has been mixed with pop. Therefore I don't consider it "true" country music. There might be exceptions but somebody will have to tell me about that since I don't listen to it. I may be wrong about country but it is just an opinion.

I will confess that if I happen to be flipping channels and Shania or Faith are doing a music video on the country music channel, I will turn off the volume and watch the video.

:D

And to Jon and Tim

have you guys blasted Buddy's "Channel One Suite" on your X. I have and enjoyed it quite a lot :9:

and can't say enough about liking Gene Krupa in Sing, Sing, Sing. Especially in the Carnegie Hall concert.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts