·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That's your camshaft.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Folks, that is your problem if you a ticking noise! Just open up your valve cover and look and I bet you will see defective or wear on your camshaft. I saw mine in the front and I wasn't sure what it is and didn't look for more or take any pictures but I felt something is not right so it got stuck in my head. So I searched on line and BINGO! Now I am praying it is not getting worse or will do any damage to the engine.

Fortunately, it is on the front side and if I decide to take it a part again it would be easy. As for the back who knows if there is any wear camshaft because you can't see it. I don't think this is a DIY but if you have a link if it can be done with DIY please share.

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
How many miles does your MDX have? Any extended warranty? Are you the original owner? Is it possible the engine was run low on oil or changes were not done regularly?

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many miles does your MDX have? Any extended warranty? Are you the original owner? Is it possible the engine was run low on oil or changes were not done regularly?

80,000 miles and no extended warranty. Changed oil every 3k with Mobil 1 synthetic. Now I am starting to change oil every 8-10k with Mobil 1 EP. About a 2 years ago I was running low on oi, oil level at the bottom line. At that time I didn't know the X is consuming oil so I never check. I have have 2008 TL and i never checked oil because oil always stays to the top line between oil change. And another incident where I started the engine without oil for about 10-20 sec. forgot to refill oil after oil change. Other than that I always used synthetic oil.

The good news is the ticking/knocking noise is not related with the engine ( pistons, rings, bend valves ). This was confirmed when I tried to disconnect the coil one by one and no change in noise. After I adjusted the valves the Ticking/knocking noise seems to quite down a little but not eliminated. If the camshaft is permanently worn (minor or severe). The worn on mines is minor. why would the valve adjustment make the noise less quieter? At this point I not going to do anything, not going to replaced the camshaft. If the noise will get louder then I re-evaluate the situation. For the past 2 years the ticking/knocking noise pretty much remains the same, not louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The good news is the ticking/knocking noise is not related with the engine ( pistons, rings, bend valves ). This was confirmed when I tried to disconnect the coil one by one and no change in noise. After I adjusted the valves the Ticking/knocking noise seems to quite down a little but not eliminated. If the camshaft is permanently worn (minor or severe). The worn on mines is minor. why would the valve adjustment make the noise less quieter? At this point I not going to do anything, not going to replaced the camshaft. If the noise will get louder then I re-evaluate the situation. For the past 2 years the ticking/knocking noise pretty much remains the same, not louder.
The pictures you posted (I understand these are not yours) are quite severe and warrant immediate replacement.

Without seeing your specific camshaft, I cannot comment.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The pictures you posted (I understand these are not yours) are quite severe and warrant immediate replacement.

Without seeing your specific camshaft, I cannot comment.

I will probably open the front valve cover again to check for more worn camshaft. Question. Why inside the front valve assembly has very dark oil stain compared to the back side. The back valve assembly look almost it doesn't have any dark oil stain at all. Is it because the front cam running hotter and generating a lot of heat and friction? I read online and most of the worn camshaft are from the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I will probably open the front valve cover again to check for more worn camshaft. Question. Why inside the front valve assembly has very dark oil stain compared to the back side. The back valve assembly look almost it doesn't have any dark oil stain at all. Is it because the front cam running hotter and generating a lot of heat and friction? I read online and most of the worn camshaft are from the front.
Probably due to Variable Cylinder Management (VCM).

https://www.acura.com/rdx/modals/variable-cylinder-management said:
Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®) automatically changes the V-6 engine to run on six or three cylinders, depending on driving conditions, resulting in significantly improved highway fuel efficiency.
  • During startup, hard acceleration, hill climbing or when high output is required, the engine operates all six cylinders. At low-speed cruising on city streets, the engine will shut down one cylinder bank (which has three cylinders on one side of the “V”) and operate on the remaining three cylinders.
  • Active engine mounts improve engine smoothness while the engine is running on three cylinders.
  • The system monitors throttle position, vehicle speed, engine speed, gear selection and other factors to determine the correct cylinder activation for the operating conditions. The system also monitors catalytic-converter temperature to make sure it remains in the proper range to keep emissions low.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Why would your camshaft be bad?
Can you search a picture online showing the condition you have?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Camshaft damage is SOOOOOO RARE.
Unless the engine has been neglected Honda does not have an easy procedure to replace it.. To remove the camshaft you have to remove the head.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.