Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
How hard is it to drop the tranny? Any special tool or lift for this job? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, an actual lift, in fact. I’ve never removed an engine myself on this, but you could probably take the subframe down with the engine and tranny still on it, slip the tranny off, then do the seal, slap it back together and put it all back in the car. It’s one hell of a job, if I had to say...

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, an actual lift, in fact. I’ve never removed an engine myself on this, but you could probably take the subframe down with the engine and tranny still on it, slip the tranny off, then do the seal, slap it back together and put it all back in the car. It’s one hell of a job, if I had to say...

Ok. But for this method to work the car has to be jacked up really high beyond your regular jack stand?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok. But for this method to work the car has to be jacked up really high beyond your regular jack stand?

Yup, I’d say at LEAST high enough for the engine to roll out under the front of the car, on a set of floor dollys. I’d say, maybe 3 feet? For me I’d rather have the ability to stand up under the car while wrenching away, but that’s just me

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, I’d say at LEAST high enough for the engine to roll out under the front of the car, on a set of floor dollys. I’d say, maybe 3 feet? For me I’d rather have the ability to stand up under the car while wrenching away, but that’s just me

Sounds like only a repair shop can do it because they have a lift.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I will pass this project in the event I will have a leak. What is a price range for this type of repair?

I can’t say I know for sure, but it isn’t cheap. Possibly more than the t-belt job! My dad had a tl with a bad rear main seal and he sold it before it was a serious problem

·
Registered
268 Posts
Any picture of where that seal located ?
What is the part # for 2011 mdx?

I don’t have a picture of it on the engine sadly, but if you took the transmission off and the flywheel, it’ll be there staring you in the face.

This is what it would look like.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i meant the mainshaft seal INSIDE the trans. it involves all the work of the rear main seal with the added fun of splitting the trans case halves. when i built my engine i had a leak from this ****er and had to pull the entire motor and trans AGAIN then separate the motor and trans AGAIN then split the trans case AGAIN to replace this $5 seal that I PUT IN BACKWARDS THE FIRST TIME. it was a real FML moment and i cannot think of a ****tier seal to have to replace honestly. it isnt common to leak i was just throwing it out there lol.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i meant the mainshaft seal INSIDE the trans. it involves all the work of the rear main seal with the added fun of splitting the trans case halves. when i built my engine i had a leak from this ****er and got to pull the entire motor and trans AGAIN then split the trans AGAIN to replace this $5 seal that I PUT IN BACKWARDS THE FIRST TIME. it was a real FML moment and i cannot think of a ****tier seal to have to replace honestly. it isnt common to leak i was just throwing it out there lol.

Well I’ll be damned... yeah, that would be worse!

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
656 Posts
I will do the engine rear oil seal this coming weekend. I am planning on just dropping the transmission while holding the engine from above like described in the service manual.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.