Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this from Ebay for $60 and I want to clean it up and then lube with engine oil. It is from a wracked block of 2010 Ridgeline. Can I soak the entire assembly in acetone or brake cleaner? The whole assembly cost $1800 from the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Chem Dip. Walmart usually has a gallon for $26. stuff takes the carbon build up off pistons.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Why would you like to clean it? It doesn´t affect its performance and you wont see it again in many years.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can’t believe that whole rocker arm assembly cost over $2,000 from acura online part dealers and it doesn’t come assembled, you have to buy all the associated parts to make up the whole assembly. Each rocker arm (intake) costs $300! I am glad I found the whole assembly on Ebay for $60 that matches exactly. Will find out soon the condition of it when I receive it in a few days.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
That isn´t sludge though.. That is common J-Series heat stain, I have yet to see a single J-Series engine that isn´t stained in that way.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That isn´t sludge though.. That is common J-Series heat stain, I have yet to see a single J-Series engine that isn´t stained in that way.

I know what you mean. I had seen it on my rocker arm assembly when I was doing the valve adjustment. But this one from Ebay looks pretty dark and roasted.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have cleaned SBC heads by heating them up in my BBQ then hit them with dollar store oven cleaner.

Rinse then lube to prevent flash rusting.

Dollar Store oven cleaner = same Crap as Oven Off for a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I know what you mean. I had seen it on my rocker arm assembly when I was doing the valve adjustment. But this one from Ebay looks pretty dark and roasted.

bet if he changed his oil at 40% instead of 15% it wouldnt look like toast

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Incorrect.

To the contrary, changing your oil too frequently could make the condition worse.

Oil analysis shows that the Acura MID is quite conservative, and we still have life left in the oil even when the MID indicates a change. For most people, following the MID will yield a good compromise between protection and $$$.

(Changing too frequently than the MID indicates doesn't help extend engine life, and wastes $$$)
(Changing less frequently than the MID indicates may be possible, but you'd have to perform oil analysis, and that costs $$$)

Some interesting reading:
https://www.brianschreurs.org/neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1900212 said:
Why is it harmful to change the oil too frequently?
In a word; volatility. Oil volatility is at its greatest in the first 3000km after an oil change. After that the volatility reduces and the oil stabilises.

A lot of phosphorous is lost in the initial boil-off phase of new oil and it’s likely to be harming oxygen sensors and cats.

By changing your oil at 5000km, you are subjecting your engine to oil that is almost always in the initial boil-off phase. It's contaminating and filling your engine with gunk. Contrary to popular and uninformed opinion, oil that is 10,000 km old is not likely to be harmful, and would certainly be less harmful than fresh oil.

·
Registered
268 Posts

No. I am changing my oil at 10k miles and the MID said -300%, yes minus 300 percent!

Ha! I’m probably going to run my MID down till it says something to the degree of ‘DO IT NOW’ like 0% or whatever, don’t want to waste precious dollars!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I had to reset my Oil Change Reminder like 3 times in this oil change alone... 12K and counting (Knock on wood).

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would try using Throttle Body Cleaner or Carburetor Cleaner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
yep, typically front head looks like crap and rear would be fine. On my j35a7 odyssey using synthetic Mobil1 EP 5w20 oil at MID specified intervals, the head rocker assembly is not nearly as dark as the ones I have seen using regular dyno oil.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just received from Ebay and it is in pristine condition other then staining! For $60 vs $2,000 from the dealer!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts