Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to add these headrests... but i am not entirely sure how to go about doing it? Would the main video wire run down from the silver pole into the seat and from there along the floor boards..?

Any ideas would be great....
:)

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In action....

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am in the process of installing right now headrest monitors, etc.

Basically, I ran the wired down through the seat, using loom tubing to protect it and plastic tie wraps to keep it neat in there. I cam out the bottom near the cushion pivot point, and down under the carpet. Depending on what you are installing, there is a fair bit of room under both front seats for equiptment. (I have an amp under one, and a VCR under another). The "Brains" for most of my stuff is located under the middle row seats, again, coming up through the carpet under there. Relatively easy to do, just takes some time to "feel" your way under the carpet. I totally gutted the interior of my MDX , taking out all seats and Carpet for ease of wiring, but you may not want to go to that extent.

The backs for the seats pull off at the bottom, you need to pull hard to un hook the clips, then the top is just hooked in, with no clips.
Order some from Tim first though, since these clips break upon removal, and you need 2 per side to re-install.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
What's the point of having a screen in the drivers visor?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got mine at autobarn.com, about $850 for the pair which included the headrests (which tilt) and 7" screens installed and shipped.

Haven't yet hooked them up, as install in a work in progress, but other members have had good things to say about them. Installation quality is as good as I could hoped for.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Curtsan:

Are you done with installation. I would like to know more about it.

How did it go and where did you place DVD player etc. etc.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Installation is basically complete, and I hope to take some pictures this weekend and post them all.

I am still awaiting carpet to cover the sub box.

As far as monitors, the vizualogic headrest monitors are excellent.

I wired in rocker switches into the B pillar, so that they have a bit more control on powering them on, without having to use the remote control. I am also putting in a "4 in/4 out" A/V switcher , with a small push button switch for each output (monitor) again, mounted to B pillar. This way, the kids can select whatever source they want, with the need of a remote control...(to get lost or broken)

As mentioned, the small cable went dopwn through the headrest post, and through back of seat, with loom tubing around it. I cam out the bottom hear the hinged point of seat and under carpet through cut outs for power sear wiring. I ran this wire under the carpet up under the middle row seat to where it converges with the A/V switcher and other "brains". the monitors have a little control box, so that is where I mounted them using plastic tie wraps to the underside of the sear. Not much room under there, but they are very small anyway.

DVD player is an Alpine 6 disc DVD Changer mounted under passenger seat facing towards the front. Quality is awesome, and it also changes CD's as well. Although, I will be still using a 6 disc Alpine CD changer mounted in the glove box vertically. Since I am also using wireless headphones, one thing that has been good is that the middle row can utilize the DVD player to play CD's and listen to music through the wireless headphones, without actually turning the main sound system on, or can listen to other source...hadn't even thought of this originally...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Curtsan,

I have seen these headrests on the Autobarn site and they say that they are the OEM headrests, is this true? I know that there is a subtle difference between the '02 and '03 headrests, is this apparent with the ones from autobarn? Also, did you get the wireless headphones from them too? Are the monitors very apparent from the outside? I just would not want anyone walking buy and get that itch to take them.

Thanks,

·
Registered
509 Posts
Curtsan,

How did you mount the changer in the glove compartment? Did you remove the whole thing and drill the mounts inside? I am planning to install my dvd player in the glove compartment, but I am having a hard time trying to remove it.

Charles

·
Registered
291 Posts
lilpun,
For the most part , they are very OEM, in terms of leather , color, stitching, etc...the only thing different is the shape is slightly wider to accomdate the 7" monitor. To be honest, If I was doing it again, I would opt for a 5.6" monitor, since the viewing position is less than a couple of feet, and the picture, although great, is "right there" in front of you...dare I say too big??? The monitors have very little edge beyond the actual LCD screen, so I guess this is how they can squeeze that big monitor into the headrest...but asside from the wider shape, all else is totally factory in look and feel...you would think it is made by Acura... I didn't really notice a difference in 02 (from memory) to my 03, but these are different (in shape being wider) than both years...the shape difference is noticable, but not unattractive or anything, just wider...More of a "traditional" shape to the headrests...

My wireless headphones are purchased from a local Alpine dealer
(NHS-251 I think) They are an infrared headphone with volume and dual source. Sound is emitted from a small transmitter mounted just behind the sunroof. The sound quality is amazing, however, range of use in the vehicle is fairly limited to middle row only....any more than a few feet away and it starts getting staticy...where I understand that RF headphones have much better range of distance and location, although slightly less in sound quality....I would probably choose RF again if doing over...and avoid the static sound when out of range by bending over or something...I'm sure sound quality for the kids would be just fine...

The monitors are quite visible from exterior when off, and a real attention getter when one....I am trying to see if my wife would be willing to sew me a slip cover to put over the headrest when not in use, from saddle vinyl or velour....???

flrmnd_mdx

CD changer is basically just sitting there right now (part of install not yet done) but my plan is to make a mounting base which the changer will bolt to with side supports, then make two sides to cover the sides of the changer, in the exact shape and profile of the inside of the glove box....given the wedge shape of the inside of the box, it should drop in and get tighter the more it goes in....no screwing into the actual glove box at all. If still a bit loose, I may use some velco here and there, but I don't think this will be an issue. It would also have a faceplate to look somewhat flush mounted.

The Alpine changer uses one cord only, so I drilled a 1/2" hole in the bottom left hand corner of glovebox from inside , and ran my cable up from behind the center console (like where the pass. side heater vent for feet is) and up into the hole . The cable is hidden by the way the glovebox overlaps the dash area a bit. I plastic wire tied it so no slippage and insured there is no pinching or binding....all A-OK so far...I did not remove the glovebox at all for this....I used cardboard to firstly get the exact shape of the inside of dash profile, then will be making out of MDF and covering in black to match. The changer itself only takes up the left 2/3rds of the width of the glovebox, so I will still be using the remaining area for storage area, with my custom made box around the changer making for a divider....kind of hard to explain....I'll post pictures when all complete....

Great questions, and thanks for asking...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts