Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 MDX with the dreaded piston ring issue that is consuming oil. I have been cautious of how much oil is in it and have been doing more frequent oil changes. However I noticed recently, expecially when it was in the upper 90s that my transmission was acting a little funny. hesitating to shift. It seems to be acting normal now, but I looked under the car and noticed the below leak. Is this engine oil or transmission fluid? I checked the trans fluid and it is a little low on hot, but the leaking fluid does not look pink.

I am taking it into the dealer on Saturday so just wanted to get a heads up of what it could be. If it is engine oil then I guess it could be a rear main seal. Regardless this is not going to be a fun repair.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
188 Posts
Exact same issue here as well with 2010 Elite at 134,000 km. Although mine does not leak, tranny and engine oil consumption are a issue has it shifts weird with the first 2 or 3 gears and oil being eaten every 2 months. What can we do to fix this? I might take it to Acura and do a compression test or oil consumption test ..

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
as you said, it is not atf b/c not pink.
if you have not changed engine oil recently, it won't be engine oil either b/c it looks very clean.
since it is in the front of the car, it is not rear diff fluid
So if oily, it can only be transfer case gear oil.

just touch it using your finger to see if it is kind of more sticky than engine oil as gear oil should be.
if it is not sticky at all, you probably got AC water there.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I agree it doesn't look like ATF. It looks like engine oil.

It looks like maybe the fluid is leaking out of the torque converter case, past the cover. But it might just be dripping down from above, as if someone was being a little sloppy dumping engine oil in the thing every week.

This thread is from another forum and refers to a first generation MDX, but it might be apropos. But as previous poster noted, that oil is clean.

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself/174759-mdx-rear-main-seal.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did think it was strange that the oil looks clean. If that is what it is. I will also note that I have not spots on my driveway from leaks. Which seems strange to me. Perhaps it is gear oil. I will find out more this weekend.

If it is the rear main seal I am not bothering with fixing it because it really just needs an engine overhaul with the piston ring issue.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.