Votes: 35 81.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I know color is totally a matter of opinion, but I'm struggling with my own personal opinion, so I would like to hear some rational reasons from others...

We really like Granite Green, but obviously that's not an option anymore. We're now trying to decide between Havasu Blue, or Sage Brush, instead. Those are the only two options in consideration because:

- We don't like the saddle interior, so the saddle colors are out (otherwise Red Rock would've been a no-brainer)
- My husband's current car is white, and it gets dirty easily, so white's out.
- Black is too, well, black. The MDX looks very impressive in black, but I'm not sure I can maintain it as it should be, nicks/scratches are more visible, etc. (not that I plan on getting nicks/scratches, but I'm trying to be realistic. :rolleyes: )

The dilemma now is as follows:
- Havasu Blue is a neat color, but kinda light. I feel like the color is too soft for the X. But it'll be easy to maintain, and nicks/scratches won't show up so much.
- Sage Brush is a very interesting color, in the sunlight. Otherwise it looks like a dark charcoal. My current car is charcoal... We also get into similar maintenance/visibility issues as with black.

I know others are having this same dilemma - HB is too light, SB is too dark (sounds like tastes great / less filling).

So what do you think? I'm particularly interested in the thought process behind your opinion.

Thanks in advance for opinions,
Ioana. :confused:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Archimedes1:

___In regards to HB, just make sure you can live with that color for both the short and long term. Also, don’t forget about what may happen at trade in time. I saw a HB Pilot a few weeks ago and I personally shook my head as to why such a color was offered but I also understand that many do love it! It’s just that there are not that many that love it today and you may find far fewer owners liking it in the not to distant future. I would simply hate to see you fall into the “use to” camp after spending close to $40,000 or more … When you head out on a trip in a SS/MB/BP or similar X in 3 or 4 years, you know that those color choices will look as good to you as the day you purchased your X. The HB on the other hand … well, that one may not be quite what you hoped for 3 or 4 years from now but this is just my opinion. We have an 03 TW (my wife’s choice) w/ Quartz on order and that is about as bland as they come so take my opinion with more than a few grains of salt if you know what I mean … Than again, TW only needs a hose down and its relatively clean in comparison to what the BP owners have to go through.

___Another way of expressing the aging of an automobile color/style would be to imagine a radically styled new vehicle. The Cadillac CTS’s sculpted front end comes to mind. It looks great to many today but what will everyone think of it in 5 years? I see enough of them on the road in my daily travels and I don’t like them already but when I first saw the pic’s in the magazine rack (it may have been Popular Science from sometime last year?), I thought this was Cadillac’s answer to attract the 30 and 40 something’s! After seeing it up close more than a few times, I am not so sure now. I would simply hate to see you fall into the same predicament just a few short years down the road. Purchasing a color that is generally considered to be safe for most will almost guarantee that you will not have any issues with it either other than wondering for the rest of that vehicles life span if you had purchased the wrong color in the first place ;) I hope you do not …

___Good Luck with whatever color you decide to choose.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Where's SS?

Hello archimedes1,

Obviously I'm partial, but I don't see Starlight Silver in your considerations. Any particular reason why?
:8:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
archimedes1 said:
Hi Everyone,

- My husband's current car is white, and it gets dirty easily, so white's out.
- Black is too, well, black. The MDX looks very impressive in black, but I'm not sure I can maintain it as it should be, nicks/scratches are more visible, etc. (not that I plan on getting nicks/scratches, but I'm trying to be realistic. :rolleyes: )

Thanks in advance for opinions,
Ioana. :confused:
I have both a black & white vehicle & I have to tell you, white is by far the easiest to hide dirt. Black isn't hard either (after 4 coats of Zaino) but, the white can go for a longer period of time without showing the dirt as much.

Now - I do recall that you didn't want saddle interior, so back to the question. I would have to choose sage vs HB. I saw a HB pilot yesterday & no offense to those that love that color, but it didn't look that nice to me. I also agree with xcel - if resale is important, the 4 colors that historically have the best resale are white, black, silver & red (not necessarily in that order).

Good luck - the bottom line to your decision is this........buy what YOU think looks the best :4:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
IMO the sage brush is "closest" to GG. The HB will look cleaner longer, since it's lighter. However, as others have commented, I'm not a fan of the HB color on the X. If you really like it, then that's all that matters, but @ resale time there'll prolly be a smaller population of potential buyers for you...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think HB is not a bad color, it just doesn't do anything for the Pilot or MDX. Like wearing a piece of clothing that doesn't flatter your body type. Of course, I am partial to SS :D . I have seen the Pilot and MDX in HB, but I haven't seen a sage brush pilot yet, to get the full effect. In pictures the sage brush just seems too brown.
You need to visit some acura/honda dealerships and see these colors in person.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I have not seen Sage Brush so I will not place a vote.

However I have seen the HB and it is close to GG. In fact in earlier HB threads with photos we could not tell then apart in the pictures. In person in certain lighting conditions the HB shows a lot of blue. At other times, in other light, there is a striking resemblance to GG.

From your comments stating SG has a charcoal appearance, I would suggest that Acura sees the HB as replacing GG.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SS and resale values

mdxxxx - SS goes on and off the list. On the one hand, it's an attractive, solid color. On the other hand, it seems that half the vehicles on the road these days are some sort of silver. I think I'd like something a little more unique. However, as undecided as we are, don't laugh if we end up going for it anyway. :rolleyes:

Ms. MDX - I agree with you that HB somehow doesn't fit the X. That's what I meant by saying it's too soft - the term "girly" comes to mind, although being a girl, I might be shooting myself in the foot saying that.

I also agree with your assessment of SB - I happened to see a SB Pilot in Dallas when I was there on business last week. It was parked next to a black Pilot, and it was mostly sunny out (a bit hazy maybe). I had to do a doubletake - my initial reaction was, "they need to wash that Pilot - it's so dusty that it's not even black anymore - strange that they'd display it in that condition." Then I realized that it was actually a SB and not a black at all. That gives you an idea how dark it is (for those who haven't seen it), and as you can tell, my initial reaction wasn't great. But, up close, the color is surprisingly interesting.

Thanks to all who mentioned the resale value - it's crossed my mind, but I haven't really considered it. Maybe we need to put more weight on that factor.

Please keep the ideas coming - I really appreciate the input!

Ioana. :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think that Sagebrush is closer in that it is a very neutral color. I think HB is more of a "bright" color (although at times it appears to be just silvery). If you want something different from your other car, I would go with SS or Black over HB (just my opinion). I might have gone with black but I already had black so I went with GG.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
- I agree with you that HB somehow doesn't fit the X. That's what I meant by saying it's too soft - the term "girly" comes to mind, although being a girl, I might be shooting myself in the foot saying that.
That's the PC way of saying it. My way is this...

Any man who actually wants that color, not settles from some other circumstance (wife, out of stock, whatever), should have his testicles surgically removed.

The best color on the lot is Aegian Blue Pearl that's on the TL/CL Type-S. I think it would look good on the MDX.

Rob

·
Registered
81 Posts
We were in the same boat a few months ago when we were looking for our 2002. I loved the GG, but the color was already discontinued. HB is (IMHO) not a good color for the X. We ended up getting redrock pearl and we absolutely love it. I know you said you don't like the interior color, but I think the tan leather is beautiful. If you like the red, I would reconsider. It is a great color combination. We always get compliments on it.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi RobSJ:

___You don’t hold back, do you ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
TheRobSJ said:

That's the PC way of saying it. My way is this...

Any man who actually wants that color, not settles from some other circumstance (wife, out of stock, whatever), should have his testicles surgically removed.
Rob
:19: :D LMAO!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sage Brush on Odyssey

Go to a Honda dealer and check out the color on an Odyssey. This color is not far from the GG at all, and that is why I have ordered it. Personally the next best color is the silver.

I'm just wondering how the Quartz interior will look.

Black is WAY overdone and only looks clean for an hour.

·
Registered
117 Posts
no offense HB owners..

ioana,
i remember we had a similar discussion in the past... i.e, when i was freaking out about which color to choose. in my opinion, i think you should get the Sage Brush rather than HB. i've seen the HB on an MDX and it just didn't turn me on. if they just turned it down a notch it would've been better, it was almost fluorescent.
SB seems more neutral/unisex ... goes both ways if ya know what i mean. :D

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Very intersesting to read the posts. I myself have not seen a HB on the road and only have a paint chip from the brochure to go by. It does not look "girly" looking at the paint chip but could very well look different on the MDX. I noticed a used HB in the classifieds here and I don't think it looks that bad. I think it would look better with accessories like running boards , tail deflector, and fender flares to give it a more "manly" look to appease RobJ. If in fact the color looks more "girly" do you think they were trying to target specific genders? Would the color hurt resale that bad? Amazing they could sell it at an inflated price in first place then? Saw an MDX that looked like a Hunter Green today and was not at all impressed with that at all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hockeyplayer said:
Very intersesting to read the posts. I myself have not seen a HB on the road and only have a paint chip from the brochure to go by. It does not look "girly" looking at the paint chip but could very well look different on the MDX. I noticed a used HB in the classifieds here and I don't think it looks that bad. I think it would look better with accessories like running boards , tail deflector, and fender flares to give it a more "manly" look to appease RobJ. If in fact the color looks more "girly" do you think they were trying to target specific genders? Would the color hurt resale that bad? Amazing they could sell it at an inflated price in first place then? Saw an MDX that looked like a Hunter Green today and was not at all impressed with that at all.
Hi hockeyplayer,

Points well taken. If you want to see a whole vehicle in HB, either try the Honda dealer for a Pilot, or if you have a good monitor, build yourself an MDX on the acura.com site, and click on HB to see the picture - I think that's a pretty good representation of the color.

I really do like the color, I'm just not sure I like the color on the MDX. I guess the best way to explain it is reaction - when I first saw a black and a red rock, I thought, WOW! When I first saw a HB I thought, Oh, that's interesting.

I think a light blue is a standard color to offer - not sure how much gender-aiming Acura was going for, although it seems like the HB owners on this site are predominantly female.

As for resale value, I don't know that the color would impact the price of the vehicle as much as the market audience. Meaning, if you find someone who likes the color, it'll sell for the same price as another color X in comparable condition - problem is it's harder to find someone to like the color.

Ioana.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Decision made!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all who voted and provided your insights. I'd like to let you know that we've decided to go with Sage Brush. The deciding factor for us was the 03 brochure, which shows two pics in SB. The X looks a lot better in that color than the Pilot.

Add to that the doubt that was infused on HB, and there you have it. We also think the new Quartz interior is really cool!

So, thanks again,

Ioana. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts