Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go to Sam’s Club! For $39.99 they make them look great and warranty it for 5 years. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Save your money, you don't need a kit. Plus none of the kits provide true lasting protection. They will be cloudy again in several months to a year depending on your garaging and daytime sun exposure.

I've been playing with several sets and have pretty much dialed in the process. Get some wet/dry sand paper in 400 and 800 grit variety and a can of clear spray paint with UV protection. I used this. Begin by taping off around the headlight and then cut a hole the right size/shape in a large garbage bag and use that to protect the area around the headlight. Using the garbage bag is much better than newspaper or similar because of wet sanding and rinsing. Start with 400 grit and wet sand the headlight until the oxidation is removed and you have a uniform appearance across them entire surface. Rinsing during the process occasionally to view progress is a good thing. Then progress to 800 grit and wet sand until you have the entire surface once again uniform and smooth. It can help to make the last pass with the 800 grit in a horizontal motion to create light ridges to help the clear coat to grab better and not run. Rinse well, blow out any water in the crevices around the light and dry off then wipe with a micro fiber cloth soaked with acetone and give it a minute to dry. Now you are ready for clear coat. The real key is very, very light coats, especially the first couple. Resist the urge to spray heavy enough to leave a smooth finish. Over applying will cause the paint to crack as it dries. Wait 10 minutes between coats and apply 4-5 thin coats and the last coat you can go a tad heavier to smooth out the finish if you want, just don't get carried away or it will run. Again, I can't emphasize enough the light coats and 10 minutes between coats. It's harder than you think to wait lol.
Nice tip, I will try it next time as well. I just repolish headlights with my left over turtle wax headlight restoration. Polishing part was ok but their sealing wipes weren’t good so this time I used Maguire’s coating spray, and I really love the finish,

·
Registered
32 Posts
For "permanente" restoration, my method has been to wet sand with P600 sandpaper and then shoot with 3 layers of Spraymax 2K clear. Sometimes I can find it at local auto body supply, but amazon has it for pretty decent price with prime shipping.

Spraymax 2K Clear Coat

3M 600 Grit Sandpaper

Side note: just due to local supply availability, I've been using a box of Norton 600 grit paper which has done well. I don't think the grit is a uniform as 3M nor does it seem to last as long, but it gets the job done. Also you'll probably want to have a good backing pad for the sandpaper when you wetsand. I have both the Meguiar's block along with some KXK assortment for a lot of my detail jobs.

KXK RID sticks

Meguiar's Sanding Block

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I went with the SYLVANIA headlight restoration kit. Everything went nicely except the last step which applying the clear and I didn’t do a good job apply the clear coat evenly, have some streaks. I will have to wait for 72 hours and re- sand with 2000 grit and reapply the clear coat. Here are the pictures before and after

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
818 Posts
Looks good in the pics!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks really nice. The same is on mine MDX. Anyone tried to cover it with transparent wrap? I'm going to use oracle oraguard270 with uv protection... will see.

Wysłane z mojego EML-L29 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
818 Posts
Looks really nice. The same is on mine MDX. Anyone tried to cover it with transparent wrap? I'm going to use oracle oraguard270 with uv protection... will see.

Wysłane z mojego EML-L29 przy użyciu Tapatalka
I considered that. Just remember that before the wrap goes on you have to have the headlight completely buffed out and shiny. The wrap will not act the same way as paint on top of a sanded surface. The wrap is best applied to new or headlights that are still in good condition.

Reactions: soul

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
KBS Coatings has a nice kit with a permanent clear coat that I used on my wife's car. The headlights were so yellow I almost bought a new pair. Tried many brands but it always came back worse after a few months since I was not using a clear coat. I liked the results. The only drawback is you have to be really, really careful not to over apply the clear coat, otherwise you can see streaks that can not be removed unless some serious sanding is involved.

Here is link to the product with a demo video

·
Registered
6 Posts
I considered that. Just remember that before the wrap goes on you have to have the headlight completely buffed out and shiny. The wrap will not act the same way as paint on top of a sanded surface. The wrap is best applied to new or headlights that are still in good condition.
Thanks!
I believe that it's quite ok. Let me show you the result after polishing:

Two days ago I used some insect remover and it destroyed my headlights. Fortunately they were not in perfect condition so finaly I could polished them. I used Menzerna system (1000, 2500 and 3000) and budged polisher.

Now it's time to wrap it. I'm afraid that shape of the headlights is quite difficult to cover it with oragourd. Will see tomorrow...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks!
I believe that it's quite ok. Let me show you the result after polishing:

Two days ago I used some insect remover and it destroyed my headlights. Fortunately they were not in perfect condition so finaly I could polished them. I used Menzerna system (1000, 2500 and 3000) and budged polisher.

Now it's time to wrap it. I'm afraid that shape of the headlights is quite difficult to cover it with oragourd. Will see tomorrow...
Yeah odd shape and low/high bump shape heading is tough to work on.

No matter how ultra smooth your headlights after sanding and polishing you must apply the UV clear coat or else you are wasting your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 33 of 33 Posts