Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members. I'm really curious to find out from other members what their heaviest load has been while trailering. Whether just a short trip across town or across the country. I'm seriously thinking of hooking up a 7000 pound load for a short trip. Any thoughts or concerns? I have the OEM hitch set up with both coolers.

·
Registered
497 Posts
With OEM coolers - 3,000 lbs boat & trailer. Hardly noticeable from an acceleration standpoint, it is noticeable from braking - I give it about an additional 20% stopping distance.

Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
First, you're thinking of exceeding the rated towing capacity of the vehicle by a factor of (probably) two. Second, and maybe most important, you'd be 2,000 lbs above the rated capacity of the hitch.

You'd certainly be at risk for damaging the chassis on the vehicle with this overload, and be somewhat at risk of having the trailer disconnect and cause damage and/or injury. And while I'm only an ex-paralegal, I'd be very concerned about your liability position and insurance coverage, should worst come to worst.

Frankly, you couldn't pay me enough to do this. If you decide you're going to, please post the time and route so I can be sure to be somewhere else :)

Best regards,

-Karl

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
jgen,

Wow, I don't really think you want to do this. This would be "disregard of manufacturer's stipulated maximums", thus "blatent abuse". Translates to kiss your warranty bye bye. Also, X tranny may be problematic [some including me are guessing this, but we are not positive]. So, why risk the tranny?

I would suggest that you go rent a truck or borrow a friends big Ford or Chevy pick-me-up and go pull that 3.5 Ton trailer. The big pickups are designed for it, the X is clearly not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. I decided not to take the chance and got a buddy to help me with his Dodge Ram. Still very curious though!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'd be most concerned with death....screw the warranty.

Seriously, the trailer would be driving the tow vehicle!

Unless the short distance you're talking about it to the end of the driveway...

Keep in mind that Acura recommends TRAILER BRAKES for any trailer over 1000 lbs (I think??)

Ard

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I decided not to take the chance and got a buddy to help me with his Dodge Ram. Still very curious though!

Ahh! Discretion IS the better part of valor.

Best regards.

-Karl

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE!

Hi fellow members! Believe it or not, I towed my boat across town (approx. 5 kms) with my 2002 MDX with factory tow package.
To be frank, it actually felt better than my friends big RAM, however, I didn't exceed 60 km/h. The braking was fine with the existing surge trailer brakes, I wouldn't want to try a panic stop though. My biggest concern during the trip was the hitch strength itself. I won't be doing this on a regular basis, however, the MDX would make an awesome tow vehicle for a load 5000lbs. or less.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
jgen...

You asked the same question about towing a few months ago. Like I stated back then, I knew it could be done safely - but only with considerable caution when doing so, or like Ard stated, the trailer will end up driving the MDX. To avoid that from occuring your trailer brakes must be in excellent condition and only drive at low speed (60 km/hr. max.) especially when turning. Transmission durability has become an issue lately so consider that and only tow such a heavy load over very short distances, as you did.

Regarding the strength of the trailer hitch on the MDX, the biggest worry in my mind (assuming the trailer brakes are in excellent condition) when trailering an excessive load is hitting a pothole or speed bump at too great a speed. Should that occur, the metal adjacent to the welds (on the MDX) could possibly tear due to the jolt. I've seen this happen to a 5th-wheel after hitting a unmarked speed bump here in Mexico. This occurred partly because the 5th wheel was heavily loaded. I know of other 5th wheels that were loaded down, driven at high speed, then hit a speed bump tearing the welds. The damage often occurs where the hitch (front part of the 5th-wheel) is welded to the frame of the 5th-wheel. Another problem area is around suspension components.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts