Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my 2010 advance and there wasnt much of a maintenance history on carfax so I wanna put all new fresh fluid(70k miles).
What is suggested for tranny, diff, transfer case?
I got some Honda vtm 4 after reading some forum but not sure if that is correct at this point.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The official trans fluid is DW1, but Mobil 1 synthetic and Valvoline MaxLife synthetic are both great alternatives that I have plenty of miles on (150K+) with great results and some of those miles were towing above the GCWR on my Honda Odyssey which has the same trans. Each drain and fill takes about 3.3 qts. The transfer case uses 80W90 gear oil (.4 qt), officially called Hypoid Oil at Acura, easily found at any auto parts store. I just put Valvoline in my 2007 that I bought at Walmart ~$8 for 32 oz and I had about 14 oz left. The rear diff uses the DW1 trans fluid, so the Mobil 1 or Valvoline MaxLife can be used there. I just put Valvoline Maxlife in mine. It's usually easy to find at Walmart for less than $20.00 for a 4 qt container and you will need appox 3 qts.

Be ready for the plugs to be a bear to break loose. Both the drain and fill plugs for the transfer case and rear diff are 3/8" square drives that you put a ratchet extension into and you will likely need a cheater bar or breaker bar for, but when they break loose they really pop. Don't bust your knuckles! The drain for the trans is also a 3/8" square, but for some reason that one never seems to break loose as hard. The fill bolt on top of the trans is the same way, 17mm IIRC, and I have found it works best to use a single 1/2" extension to eliminate twist, but it still breaks loose hard and can be a knuckle buster.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Always open the fill plug first...always....

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
For the transmission fluid, fill it back up through the transmission dipstick. Find a suitable flexible plastic tube that will fit inside dipstick hole. It’s a little slow for the fluid to flow into the transmission but this is the easiest way. Stick with Honda ATF and differential fluid.

I am going to do mine this week.
I will need 10 bottles of ATF (3x3 flush) and 3 bottles of DIFF fluid from Honda. Here is my mdx

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=90852&share_tid=43974&url=https://www.mdxers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43974&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks for all the info.
I ended up getting 8 qts of dw1 and 5 qts of acura dpsf for the diff. I already had mobil 75w90 for the transfer case.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Always open the fill plug first...always....
Sound advice! I found myself doing that a couple of days ago for the first after I thought it through. Mostly because I was working on a high mile car with some corrosion issues, but always a solid plan.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I just finished doing a 3x3 ATF flush and differential fluid change this morning. I am good for another 35-50k miles. My old atf doesn’t too bad it still look a little brown pinky color

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
My fluids:

Trans: Honda/Acura ATF DW-1
Transfer: Mobil 1 LS 75W-90
Rear Diff: Acura AWD-DPSF (This is basically the only thing you should use here)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
My fluids:

Trans: Honda/Acura ATF DW-1

Transfer: Mobil 1 LS 75W-90

Rear Diff: Acura AWD-DPSF (This is basically the only thing you should use here)

Thanks. Question. 3.5 or 4 bottles of ATF for a final refill? And for the transfer case fluid how often you need to replace?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
My Trans has never filled up with 3 quarts so you really need to buy 4 quarts, It doesn't use the full 4q though more like 3.5-3.7q.

For the transfer case I settled for a 2year change since the Mobil 1 LS Stuff is really really good! you can probably change every 3 years no problem and it only needs +/-0.7q so you just buy a single quart. Manual says you should replace every 15K but that is for the OEM Honda HGO-1 Gear oil which is a very basic off the shelf gear oil so I would not use that change interval if you are using high quality stuff like the Mobil 1 LS.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
My Trans has never filled up with 3 quarts so you really need to buy 4 quarts, It doesn't use the full 4q though more like 3.5-3.7q.

For the transfer case I settled for a 2year change since the Mobil 1 LS Stuff is really really good! you can probably change every 3 years no problem and it only needs +/-0.7q so you just buy a single quart. Manual says you should replace every 15K but that is for the OEM Honda HGO-1 Gear oil which is a very basic off the shelf gear oil so I would not use that change interval if you are using high quality stuff like the Mobil 1 LS.

Thanks. I filled 4 quarts for the final refill and it’s perfectly in the middle of the HOT zone taken after 90 sec when the engine was HOT. I think it wanted 4 quarts on mine was because I let the old fluid drain out longer and until I saw tiny amount of dripping. Thank again skirmich! You and the folks in here are very helpful as always!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
When I did the ATF flush and changed the rear differential fluid I was going to do the the transfer case oil as well but I am not sure where are the drain and refill plugs and I didn’t have the oil handy. So are these plugs located close to the transmission fluid drain plug? Can you access to them without raising the car?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Transfer case sits almost below the firewall so its very close to the center console inside the car... You NEED to raise the car to access it.
There are 2 specific plugs in the transfer case unit, More like the rear diff? one is a fill plug and the lower one is the drain bolt. Always remove the fill bolt first!!
They use the same 3/8ths socket as the Transmission drain plug.

·
Registered
731 Posts
When I did the ATF flush and changed the rear differential fluid I was going to do the the transfer case oil as well but I am not sure where are the drain and refill plugs and I didn’t have the oil handy. So are these plugs located close to the transmission fluid drain plug? Can you access to them without raising the car?

It’s about a foot back from the transmission plug. There may be a shield covering it but you can see it.

I don’t remove the shield - I loosen the one bolt and use a 3” extension and then a paper plate to catch and guide the oil to the pan.

Wear gloves as that oil smells and is thick.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
It’s about a foot back from the transmission plug. There may be a shield covering it but you can see it.

I don’t remove the shield - I loosen the one bolt and use a 3” extension and then a paper plate to catch and guide the oil to the pan.

Wear gloves as that oil smells and is thick.

Thanks, Localbar and Skirmich ! You are right there is no need to remove the plastic shied at all. And I didn’t even raise the car either but it was a very tight squeeze to get underneath for a small guy like me. I crawled from the front of the vehicle and undo these two bolts without much trouble using one foot gas pipe from homedepot as a breaker bar. I find this one foot gas pipe is very useful for medium size bolt like those used to hold the brake caliper. The hard part is trying to squeeze the oil from the container into the transfer case even with the clear tube adapter. I don’t have a hand pump.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I thought a hand pump was labor intensive but the squeeze bottle method is the pits. I keep meaning to buy a separate hand pump for it but then I convince myself - “squeezing is not that bad” until I have to do it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts