Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now my setup is, cat----(mid muffler removed replaced with straight pipe)----resonator at the rear of the car...doesnt sound how i expected i need something clean but deep no drone...

should i remove the cat and have 1 muffler at the rear?...or leave the cat and replace the resonator with a magnaflow muffler? if i do all that il probably pay for full exhaust somewhere...thanks guys let me know what ya think

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a 79 Chevy Malibu that I went cat and no muffler and it sounded like a grain truck. I don't know what this would sound like though.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Not to mention no cat will cause an instant failure in any state that does inspect cars.

You gotta figure that some really smart engineers went to a lot of work to design and build an exhaust system that is efficient. Making random changes isn't likely re result in anything good, IMHO... maybe do an aftermarket cat-back system from someone who actually engineers their exhaust systems, and you might get good sound. But chances if you just start replacing exhaust components with straight pipes it's gonna sound raunchy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It would help to know the model year in question, here. For instance, your engine likely has three catalytic converters -- one at each cylinder head, and then one further downstream ahead of the mid-car resonator. Since you said you had "a resonator" at the rear, I'm assuming you have an earlier model with single exhaust? Our 2005 has dual exhaust at the rear. I think that started in 2004 -- that's something you could consider: split the system at the rear and install two high flow mufflers.

In the end, it's a Honda V-6. You can get only so "deep" with the exhaust note. It'll never sound like a burbly V-8.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a 2002 acura mdx, and yes thanks for the advice, also i had 2 use 2 pipes instead of 1, while i cannot weld at the moment what can i used to clamp those 2 pipes together? they are the exact same size and come up about 1 inch short of touching....

thought about exhaust clamp thing but that wont seal it....needs some kind of exhaust mesh or something idk any ideas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm having trouble picturing your setup in my head. Perhaps a photograph posted here would help us understand what you're working with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts