Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As time has passed and I have become more familiar with my 22 MDX Advance, I have become even more baffled by the criticisms of the TTI. With Acura Voice, Alexa the HUD and the apps on the steering wheel, I find that I hardly ever have to interact with the TTI while driving. Mostly, I use it when I am stationary at home and I am tweaking the ambient light or balancing the volumes from the audio system. If i have to use TTI while driving, it's probably to change the active cell phone to mine or vice versa which is a very simple process or accept a new navigation direction that I asked Alexa or Acura Voice to find for me. I can change my preset radio stations with the scrolling wheel on the steering wheel; I can use Acura Voice to access the others; I can make calls and answer the phone same way etc, etc.;Lots of things I can do without touching the TTI. In short, I hardly need to touch TTI while driving, hence my befuddlement at the griping and it's supposed inconvenience and difficult to use nature.

Are there some useful features I could access while driving that require TTI that I am missing? So far it seems to me that for most trips, between Alexa, Acura Voice and the apps + HUD, TTI might as well be locked out and I wouldn't miss it.

Your thoughts.

·
Registered
463 Posts
As time has passed and I have become more familiar with my 22 MDX Advance, I have become even more baffled by the criticisms of the TTI. With Acura Voice, Alexa the HUD and the apps on the steering wheel, I find that I hardly ever have to interact with the TTI while driving. Mostly, I use it when I am stationary at home and I am tweaking the ambient light or balancing the volumes from the audio system. If i have to use TTI while driving, it's probably to change the active cell phone to mine or vice versa which is a very simple process or accept a new navigation direction that I asked Alexa or Acura Voice to find for me. I can change my preset radio stations with the scrolling wheel on the steering wheel; I can use Acura Voice to access the others; I can make calls and answer the phone same way etc, etc.;Lots of things I can do without touching the TTI. In short, I hardly need to touch TTI while driving, hence my befuddlement at the griping and it's supposed inconvenience and difficult to use nature.

Are there some useful features I could access while driving that require TTI that I am missing? So far it seems to me that for most trips, between Alexa, Acura Voice and the apps + HUD, TTI might as well be locked out and I wouldn't miss it.

Your thoughts.
the worst thing I find about the TTIP & the InfoT. system is that, you cannot play Music on a Flash Drive while using Android Auto (and I suspect Car Play too). You have to disengage your Phone Connection by going thru a sequence (not just hitting the Icon on the Home Screen). It's not that I use that with any frequency, ( I don't take many long trips now being retired), but it is a PIA nonetheless. I agree with the use of Alexa, great and easy help, command a place or address and Alexa sends it to the NAVI which I find more than acceptable. The Voice Assist is good as well. I get very sketchy WAZE service with dropouts and reboots. And the TTIP pad becomes avery slow mouse pad when AA is being used.
Yes, no fingerprints to worry about, but to me in an ideal world...Acura should have included Both: Touch Pad and Touch Screen ( I believe Lexus does?). FTR, I use the steering wheel controls to a great extent too. My last gripe is that IMO, Acura should have included easy, peasy push buttons for Radio selections : AM, FM, XM, USB, etc. that was in my previous Infiniti cars (2013 M37X, 2016 QX60 ) and my 2019 Acura MDX. I'm Old School, sometimes, Older is Better, but that's me. A Passenger is unable to tune to a radio selection - which reminds me.....Honda /Acura were famous for eliminating a Volume button which has made a return !!. They should have done the same with a Tuning Knob !! Old School talking. Bottom line: I really LIKE the car (I use LOVE for people). Hope you do too!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the worst thing I find about the TTIP & the InfoT. system is that, you cannot play Music on a Flash Drive while using Android Auto (and I suspect Car Play too). You have to disengage your Phone Connection by going thru a sequence (not just hitting the Icon on the Home Screen). It's not that I use that with any frequency, ( I don't take many long trips now being retired), but it is a PIA nonetheless. I agree with the use of Alexa, great and easy help, command a place or address and Alexa sends it to the NAVI which I find more than acceptable. The Voice Assist is good as well. I get very sketchy WAZE service with dropouts and reboots. And the TTIP pad becomes avery slow mouse pad when AA is being used.
Yes, no fingerprints to worry about, but to me in an ideal world...Acura should have included Both: Touch Pad and Touch Screen ( I believe Lexus does?). FTR, I use the steering wheel controls to a great extent too. My last gripe is that IMO, Acura should have included easy, peasy push buttons for Radio selections : AM, FM, XM, USB, etc. that was in my previous Infiniti cars (2013 M37X, 2016 QX60 ) and my 2019 Acura MDX. I'm Old School, sometimes, Older is Better, but that's me. A Passenger is unable to tune to a radio selection - which reminds me.....Honda /Acura were famous for eliminating a Volume button which has made a return !!. They should have done the same with a Tuning Knob !! Old School talking. Bottom line: I really LIKE the car (I use LOVE for people). Hope you do too!!
You write: "My last gripe is that IMO, Acura should have included easy, peasy push buttons for Radio selections : AM, FM, XM, USB, etc..... A Passenger is unable to tune to a radio selection"

I don't mean to be harsh, but your statement is indicative of the problem that most complainants have. The fact of the matter is that with the Cabin Control app which you can download on to your phone, a passenger anywhere in the MDX can control the audio system (except volume) and other functions (Rear Climate Control, Navigation, Social Playlist, Sunshade Control).

The problem may be that there are too many features which we have to learn to use properly. When you do, most of the complaints go away. The video below shows how to use Cabin Control and hence how to control the audio system.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In fairness, I do not use CarPlay so all its glitches are of no concern to me, but I think all those glitches would still be there if TTI, as it is presently set up, gets a touch added to it or goes completely to a touch screen mode. I think ( I don't know for sure since I don't use it) the problem is the integration of the Acura infotainment system with Apple CarPlay. If the integration remains as it is, having a touch screen would not improve the user experience, I don't believe. But then again, I don't use CarPlay so I could be way off base.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The touch pad solution requires significant amount of cognitive effort becuase it's very a different activity from what everyone of us is used to or using on the daily basis. This is why everyone is asking for (and getting in other brands) touchscreens. We're using them in some many other places every moment of our lives. It takes a fraction of a second for me to swipe and select something on a touchscreen.

It's an unintuitive task requiring lots of brain cycles to figure out 1) where the touch pad is (which I can't see when I'm looking on a road) 2) where did my finger land on the touch pad (which I can't see when I'm looking on a road) 3) why the f%&($ thing is not scrolling in the (otherwise natural) direction I want it to. 4) why is it moving when I push on it causing me to miss the button I wanted to push on.

Android Auto is at another level of frustration with the track pad, because it, again, behaves differently from your phone and Acura's interface.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I find the TTI pad to be a clone of a touchscreen just in a more comfortable, safe and easy to reach area. And no fingerprints on the screen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The touch pad solution requires significant amount of cognitive effort becuase it's very a different activity from what everyone of us is used to or using on the daily basis. This is why everyone is asking for (and getting in other brands) touchscreens. We're using them in some many other places every moment of our lives. It takes a fraction of a second for me to swipe and select something on a touchscreen.

It's an unintuitive task requiring lots of brain cycles to figure out 1) where the touch pad is (which I can't see when I'm looking on a road) 2) where did my finger land on the touch pad (which I can't see when I'm looking on a road) 3) why the f%&($ thing is not scrolling in the (otherwise natural) direction I want it to. 4) why is it moving when I push on it causing me to miss the button I wanted to push on.

Android Auto is at another level of frustration with the track pad, because it, again, behaves differently from your phone and Acura's interface.
I guess the point I am trying to make is that Acura gives us so many options for executing the various infotainment related functions that I barely put in any significant amount of cognitive effort regarding the TTIP when I am driving, hence my question: what functions exactly are you performing that require interacting with the TTIP that demands so much cognitive effort and have you read the manual to see if there aren't two or three other more convenient ways of doing same? Often, as I pointed out to Almatti above, by properly using other existing features on the MDX, the TTIP's quirks to the extent they exist can very easily be bypassed.

Almatti (see above), apparently was either not aware of Cabin Control, or his passengers were not using it. Indeed, if one's passengers have to use the TTIP to find a specific radio station instead of using Acura Voice or Cabin Control, I can see the amount of cognitive effort it will take but that is not exactly Acura's or TTIP's fault when they've provided such a convenient by-pass.

I know it's not going to happen, but it sure would be nice if an Acura rep would come on here every now and then to explain some of the advantages of using the new tech and features they have installed. The sales people either don't have the time (auto reviewers certainly don't) or often the knowledge to do so. It might save them all the negativity. Just dropping a 600 page User Manual on the internet and hoping everybody reads it clearly is not working to their benefit.

Again, I am not here to defend TTIP with regard to its interaction with Android Auto or CarPlay. I use neither of them. but as I said earlier, I don't believe changing to a touch screen while keeping the underlying interaction program would help anybody with using these two features.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Hybrid Advance
254 Posts
I've figured out how to handle most functions on the TTI on my 22 RDX (same interface as 22 MDX). I agree that it largely works fine everywhere except Android Auto. And I hear similar complaints with Carplay.

Android Auto requires repeate swipes because Google thinks the car uses a 3rd gen MDX joystick and moves one icon at a time (unlike the Acura menus which work fine with the 1-to-1 tap zones). I rely on Android Auto for phone calls and navigation, and this makes the Android Auto experience extremely slow/cumbersome. If Android Auto had a mouse click interface to mimic the TTI on Acura menus, it would be fine.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I guess the point I am trying to make is that Acura gives us so many options for executing the various infotainment related functions that I barely put in any significant amount of cognitive effort regarding the TTIP when I am driving, hence my question: what functions exactly are you performing that require interacting with the TTIP that demands so much cognitive effort and have you read the manual to see if there aren't two or three other more convenient ways of doing same?[/B

Almatti (see above), apparently was either not aware of Cabin Control, or his passengers were not using it. Indeed, if one's passengers have to use the TTIP to find a specific radio station instead of using Acura Voice or Cabin Control, I can see the amount of cognitive effort it will take but that is not exactly Acura's or TTIP's fault when they've provided such a convenient by-pass.

I know it's not going to happen, but it sure would be nice if an Acura rep would come on here every now and then to explain some of the advantages of using the new tech and features they have installed. The sales people either don't have the time (auto reviewers certainly don't) or often the knowledge to do so. It might save them all the negativity. Just dropping a 600 page User Manual on the internet and hoping everybody reads it clearly is not working to their benefit.

Again, I am not here to defend TTIP with regard to its interaction with Android Auto or CarPlay. I use neither of them. but as I said earlier, I don't believe changing to a touch screen while keeping the underlying interaction program would help anybody with using these two features.

Acura Now, Yes, i am unaware of Cabin Control usage. I will give it whirl. I will also try using Voice Control more frequently to control various aspects of the features. Your comment about the sales people don't have the knowledge to instruct on the usage of TTIP (or any other integral feature of the MDX) is interesting and poignant. My Salesperson at Curry Acura in Scarsdale NY (who is No longer there !!) was conducting "classes" every Friday morning who called to reserve a "seat". But that emphasizes my gripe that a less digital saavy person like myself, needs Instructions top use the features and InfoT system. I did once go to the class to help explain how to use a Hotspot on my Google phone so that I can access Alexa. I decided to engage AT& T 's service for the year at a discount after the first 90 days of free mobile service. It was over zealousness on my part, because i really don't use Alexa much in my travels - but it does work very well for obtaining NAVI info and sending the directions to the car's NAVI system.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Acura Now, Yes, i am unaware of Cabin Control usage. I will give it whirl. I will also try using Voice Control more frequently to control various aspects of the features. Your comment about the sales people don't have the knowledge to instruct on the usage of TTIP (or any other integral feature of the MDX) is interesting and poignant. My Salesperson at Curry Acura in Scarsdale NY (who is No longer there !!) was conducting "classes" every Friday morning who called to reserve a "seat". But that emphasizes my gripe that a less digital saavy person like myself, needs Instructions top use the features and InfoT system. I did once go to the class to help explain how to use a Hotspot on my Google phone so that I can access Alexa. I decided to engage AT& T 's service for the year at a discount after the first 90 days of free mobile service. It was over zealousness on my part, because i really don't use Alexa much in my travels - but it does work very well for obtaining NAVI info and sending the directions to the car's NAVI system.
Didn't mean to Bold that narrative :(:(

·
Registered
398 Posts
I dont like getting a touchscreen all greasy and having to wash it, so I am liking the TTI. I worry that it will eventually suffer some sort of friction based wearing of the surface, so hopefully its not terribly difficult to replace. My only complaint is how CarPlay uses it differently. If they could get CarPlay to use the same model, it would be perfect. As it is, its hard to remember initially after switching, as even the scrolling is backwards.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try to use Alexa more often. You'll be hooked on it. Until I got the MDX, I knew almost nothing of Alexa's capabilities. Now it's becoming my favorite feature. I have access to most of the music that I would ever want to listen to and I am relying less and less on my USB music collection. All I have to do is ask Alexa to play a particular song or a particular artist or a particular genre and off it goes. Which gets me back to the complaints about CarPlay (Android Auto) and USB drives etc. For those who have this problem, just ask Alexa to play what ever type of music or a particular song and you'll get what you want. Unless your music collection is particularly exotic (Australian Aboriginal wedding songs😂), you'll probably soon find that you do not need your USB music collection any longer. Indeed, Just as with cassette tapes and CDs, it would not surprise me if this USB feature disappeared soon.

I understand the problem. Technology is moving faster than a lot of us can adapt to. But Acura has to keep up. Yes, my cassette tape collection is no longer useable in my cars, but now with Alexa, I have access to an even wider collection of music, a lot of which I never had on my cassette tapes. Calypso any one?:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
what functions exactly are you performing that require interacting with the TTIP that demands so much cognitive effort and have you read the manual to see if there aren't two or three other more convenient ways of doing same? Often, as I pointed out to Almatti above, by properly using other existing features on the MDX, the TTIP's quirks to the extent they exist can very easily be bypassed.

We mostly use Android Auto. Scrolling through 150 podcast episodes on the touchpad is with your kids screeming in the back seat is... challenging. Selecting one may be sometimes evven harder. All for the kids. Maybe that's a parenting problem.

If you are referring to controlling the car through a phone app, while inside, I'm not sure I'm finding it very appealing or useful. "Make sure you download this special Acura app and connect it to car's WiFI before you join me on this trip". Won't fly with 7 and 5 year olds.

I acknoledge that Honda gives us multiple options to control the car functions. They are not providing the one that's most common, though (for a reason). In MDX, becuase the screen is fo far away, yes, it would be less practical to implement a touchscreen. But that should not be an excuse for a poor implementation of the touchpad. Maybe they should shrink the oversized modes wheel that takes 1/3 of the center console and move the screen down?

Before the MDX we had an Atlas. It had incredibly easy to use interface. Intuitive. Worked perfectly with AA and CarPlay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I never use my TTI in my 09 Acura TL Tech. Maybe the newer cars are better than mine, but I don't want to have to memorize a bunch of specific phrases just to get the car to do something, nah, I just use buttons, it's just as quick anyways, so why bother? Yeah, I know, I'm old fashion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never use my TTI in my 09 Acura TL Tech. Maybe the newer cars are better than mine, but I don't want to have to memorize a bunch of specific phrases just to get the car to do something, nah, I just use buttons, it's just as quick anyways, so why bother? Yeah, I know, I'm old fashion.
I have a 2012 TL and believe me, those old voice commands requiring specific phrases were indeed a chore. Not only that: they hardly ever get your instructions right. The voice commands in the 2022 MDX are far, far superior to what you and I had. I mostly communicate with the system using natural language and 99% of the time it understands me and responds correctly... and I speak with a foreign accent! Using Alexa is really like having a human assistant! And I know the front passenger can also instruct Alexa so the driver, if they have a passenger, can concentrate on driving and let an adult passenger (wife, adult kids) run the "non-essential" systems if the driver wishes.

Additionally, with Cabin Control on their phones, ANYBODY, ANYWHERE in the car (with the driver's permission), can have full access to the audio system, change channels or radio stations, play the USB music etc. etc. as they desire. They can replicate all the navigation commands (Find, Previous Destination etc.) and control the rear climate setting, again relieving the driver of these responsibilities if they wish not to be bothered.

It is for all these reasons that I hardly ever interact with TTIP especially if my wife or adult kids are in the car. I am not saying TTIP is perfect. My point is Acura provides so many ways to by-pass interacting with it if you wish, that it's quirks, whatever one believes they are become almost irrelevant to using the car's features.

Oh, and "msu", I agree with you. I would not give Cabin Control to my 5 or 7 year old. Other than actually driving the car and controlling the audio volume, Cabin Control does almost everything else. Too powerful for a 5 year old.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts