Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of bashing of the 2016 MDX model on youtube and on this forum but, I feel the 2016 model still has some pros worth noting. I recently purchased a 2016 MDX Tech Sh-AWD and overall satisfied with my choice. I saw a similar thread on a Honda forum and didn't see one here. If there is one then I apologize and please delete this thread. So here are my pros and cons on the 2016 MDX:

Pros:
1. 3 spoke steering wheel with easy phone call access and music selection buttons. I use the song skipping scroll wheel and mute button daily.
2. Great cabin space. Test drove the RDX and the MDX felt a lot more spacious in the front cabin
3. Easy 3rd row access
4. Great gas mileage. Mixed has been 22 - 23 mpg.
5. Plenty of rear room storage with 3rd row down. Have not had to fold down the 2nd row seats
6. LED headlights are very bright at night
7. Sh-awd. Pushed it in the corners and it rides great. Feels like my 07 SI with suspension mods.

Cons:
1. Navigation system and voice recognition/commands that are mis-understood. IMO. Acura needs to implement Apple car play and rely on Siri to do all the work.
2. 1 USB. Really?
3. Lack of milano leather choices in the tech model whereas the freaking TLX tech has that as standard.
4. Lack of capless fuel. I know this is a standard in 2017 but, I still want to list it out for 2016.
5. Push button shifter. My only complaint with this is not the selection of the buttons but, the occasional lag when going from park to reverse to drive.

What do you all think? I know the 2017 models includes a lot of options that were missing from the 2014+ models which I'm happy Acura listened to consumers.

My wife's 15 TLX and my 16 MDX
IMG_6408 by jpak8281, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I hate the fact it has a new inferior SH-AWD (3G) rear diff.. Granted it can overdrive more than the 2G but it has constant load friction disks which we all know not good for longevity and I like to keep my cars for long.
I hate it has a DI engine but not a Turbo or +325HP engine (Hello Sport Hybrid) we must remember that the competitors do have stronger engines.
I hate push button transmission (Cross fingers for the 4th Gen)
I hate the Dashboard with the dual screens but specially..
I hate the dial cluster with those 2 circles, Its funny when another screen would be better in its place going for 3 total screens in the dash.
I hate the ZF trans not because of the lurking issues which have been solved, Its whole shifting program working alright are royal crap makes it feel slow and unresponsive..

I love those beautiful LED headlights and Fogs (they look amazing) retrofit might be one of my future mods..
I love the exterior design and the new Diamond Grille and BOTH Exhausts.
I love the Adaptive Cruise Control < This is basically All I need of the new features of the late 2g and 3g
I love the speed of the automatic tail gate (This is notable coming from a 07)

That is my main issue.. I hate more about the 3rd gen that what I love about it.. And I don't even own one, that is why I might skip it altogether and wait for the 4th gen to upgrade my 2G..

·
Registered
115 Posts
hate the backup cam quality
hate that the headlight washer sprays allover my car when i just want to wash my windshield.

·
Registered
44 Posts
One major gripe - voice commands are mis-understood 100% of the time...anyone know why or have any tips?
Other than this, so far I LOVE it.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It speaks a language Honda created that is a derivative English but is only understood in rare instances when used by humans.

Ok but in all seriousness you just have to really annunciate and stick to their scripts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was never in a pre-17, but I think the ride of my 17 is harsh and unsophisticated over rough roads. We have bad roads here in the Northeast, and if I were below the Mason-Dixon line, I might not be so disappointed. The people on this forum that had a 1st or 2nd gen then went to a 3rd gen, how do you compare the early MDX's with your 16-18 model?

·
Registered
112 Posts
i hate the exterior. looks like a hyundai. i think the 2010-2013 were the best styling years, minus the nose of course.

does the 2016 transmission lug the engine like the 2nd gen constantly does?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
i hate the exterior. looks like a hyundai. i think the 2010-2013 were the best styling years, minus the nose of course.
And I purposely waited for the 3rd gen hoping Acura would tone up the styling a bit since I thought the 2nd gen was somewhat off in its proportions, which they did, thus I like the 3rd gen styling better than the 2nd gen - different perspective and both of our opinions are correct - for ourselves. And - I like the beak okay but I also like the latest front end design as well.

As far as Hyundai goes - I think they have some of the better vehicle styling talent out there so to say an MDX 'looks like a Hyundai' to me isn't a dig and most likely just speaks to how some Hyundai stylists liked the look of the MDX and may have mimicked it somewhat. For some awful styling, check out Lexus SUVs - ugly IMO although I'm sure many other must like them.

Regardless, this is a 3 year old thread that's probably better off left dead and a new one raised if one has current questions/comments in the area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts