Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my front ADS shocks is beginning to make noise.
I'm going to replace them in pairs.
I'll scrap the bad one.
Is the good one worth anything, like $50 - $100?

·
Registered
155 Posts
It is not easy to determine which one is "bad' and what life is left in the rest. I left them with the mechanic, I did keep the rear ADS springs and fittings in case the replacement springs were too firm. The replacement springs were Ok so that was not necessary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
To you guys that have converted your ADS to manual, my hat is off to you. I have 82k on my 2010 Advance and the front struts sound clunky. I would like to keep the ADS Function but I can't afford to spend the $ to replace them. Therefore, if any of you guys ended up with one or more good ADS shocks or struts after your conversion, please PM me as I am interested in buying them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Doing all the labor installing someting used that may or may not work is not a brightest idea though. Converting to a standard schocks is a great idea though. I cant wait to remove those stupid ads schocks from my car

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To you guys that have converted your ADS to manual, my hat is off to you. I have 82k on my 2010 Advance and the front struts sound clunky. I would like to keep the ADS Function but I can't afford to spend the $ to replace them. Therefore, if any of you guys ended up with one or more good ADS shocks or struts after your conversion, please PM me as I am interested in buying them.
If they're $800 ish new- uninstalled, how much is a used one worth?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not easy to determine which one is "bad' and what life is left in the rest. I left them with the mechanic, I did keep the rear ADS springs and fittings in case the replacement springs were too firm. The replacement springs were Ok so that was not necessary.
Were both of your fronts making noise or leaking?

I'm thinking about selling my front passenger one, but don't know how much to ask for it.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
One rear I tossed and the other is sitting in the garage. I'm hoping someday there will be a more cost-effective alternative.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can understand buying a used ADS shock, if you plan to sell the MDX, in the near future.
The dealer will use every excuse available to lower your trade in value and there is a $1,100 loss in auction value, between a base w/tech and a sport w/ tech.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Doing all the labor installing someting used that may or may not work is not a brightest idea though. Converting to a standard schocks is a great idea though. I cant wait to remove those stupid ads schocks from my car
I have the tools and skills to change MDX struts or shocks pretty quickly. I am also a retired mechanical/electrical engineer, so I should be able to analyze a used shock/strut and estimate its remaining like. Also, the ADS system, though admittently failure prone and costly to repair, has real functional and safety advantages. Finally, I can guarantee that you will take a hit when you trade in an altered MDX. Therefore, the idea to use used ADS struts/shocks, if they are available, to maintain the ADS system may be a brighter idea than you suggest.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I drive my car into ground so value of one with or without ads means nothing to me. I am looking at 2007 mdx with sport pkg going for same price as tech pkg ones. I never understood sport suspension on MDX and if i knew this forum before hand i would have never gotten sport model. If i wanted sport ride I would got M3 then but to each his own. After all i am against buying USED tires brakes struts and shocks. These are safety items.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I replace mine on MDX 2007 by regular on all 4 sides last week. I installed KYB G-Excel and its pretty good for the moment.

The inly issue is the Sport mode light which still on on my dashboard...,

·
Registered
155 Posts
Were both of your fronts making noise or leaking?

I'm thinking about selling my front passenger one, but don't know how much to ask for it.
One front ADS was clearly clunky (harsh sound). I had 70,000 miles on it so I changed out all four. There was no leakage but there was definitely a problem. I am quite satisfied with the OEM regular replacements.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts