2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,634 Posts
Installed GROM Vline VL2.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: NVAKeith

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
The A12 service popped up at 15% on my MDX last week. Totally forgot about when my last oil change was and it was in Sept of 2020. I switched to Mobil 1 at my first oil change at around 9,000 miles ( +26,000 miles on the MDX now). So far, I haven't burned during my oil change intervals of +9000 miles. Checked the cabin air filter and did a rotation and balance.

Purchased snow chains because the kid and I will be making a road trip from NM to WA before Xmas. Depends on the weather on which route we take. We are planning to hit Las Vegas/Reno if weather isn't too bad in Flagstaff or Donner Pass near Reno. Moving the rest of his stuff up there he left behind from his frist moving trip for his new job after graduation with his MBA this December.

Reactions: datechboss101

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,634 Posts
The A12 service popped up at 15% on my MDX last week. Totally forgot about when my last oil change was and it was in Sept of 2020. I switched to Mobil 1 at my first oil change at around 9,000 miles ( +26,000 miles on the MDX now). So far, I haven't burned during my oil change intervals of +9000 miles. Checked the cabin air filter and did a rotation and balance.

Purchased snow chains because the kid and I will be making a road trip from NM to WA before Xmas. Depends on the weather on which route we take. We are planning to hit Las Vegas/Reno if weather isn't too bad in Flagstaff or Donner Pass near Reno. Moving the rest of his stuff up there he left behind from his frist moving trip for his new job after graduation with his MBA this December.
Is there any noticeable difference with keeping the oil for that long?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Other than the oil looking really dark. It probably helped using full syn oil and with the mileage being 70%-80% city driving under 50 mph. The 3.0L isn't stressed as much because of the 3 electric motor helping out.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
There's no way to notice a difference in the performance, if that's what you mean, from keeping the oil for a long time. I actually went just over 10K miles once due to being on a cross country road trip at the 0% point, which usually seems to be calculated at around 10K miles for the way my MDX is driven, although I do the oil change prior to the 0% point for every time except this one time.

There would have to be serious issues with the oil before it could cause any noticeable issue and I don't think it'll happen with any modern oil, especially full syn oil. Where an oil related issue 'can' be noticed is if the oil level gets too low due to leakage either externally or internally. Eventually a low level will cause problems you'll hear and feel and the longer one goes on oil without checking the level every now and then the greater the chance of hitting an issue of it being too low to the point of causing problems. This wouldn't normally happen in 10K miles though unless there are already issues with the engine (ext/int leaks).

·
Registered
507 Posts
I run my vehicles till the info system says change. typically between 7500-10,000 miles. Mercedes, GM, Acura, On each of them I periodically send a sample to blackstone labs for analysis and TBN analysis (Total base number, how much additive package is left). Outcome has consistently been "you can easily extend the change interval". everything looks good. Now 3 of the vehicles have been long term, One at 190K I sold it and no oil use and good analysis. Two have hit over 250K miles again, no increased oil usage, good analysis results. The others have all gone over 100K and going strong when I got rid of them.

Oil and engine technology has gone a LONG way since the 60's. Fuel injection and O2 sensors have kept fuel dilution out of the crankcase, ring seals are better, and oils are much better.
And of the vehicles mentioned above two that are over 250K miles have used "conventional" e.g. non full or partial synthetic oils since new.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
My RLX hybrid oil life is 60% and the last time I changed the oil was Dec of 2020. I also switched to Mobil 1 for the RLX and it would be +/- 2 years if I wait for the the M.I.D. 15% notification. Thinking about changing the oil in the RLX and not resetting the M.I.D. oil life %. I'm always worried resetting the M.I.D. between 100%-20% will also reset any 1-6 service code I can't see yet.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My RLX hybrid oil life is 60% and the last time I changed the oil was Dec of 2020. I also switched to Mobil 1 for the RLX and it would be +/- 2 years if I wait for the the M.I.D. 15% notification. Thinking about changing the oil in the RLX and not resetting the M.I.D. oil life %. I'm always worried resetting the M.I.D. between 100%-20% will also reset any 1-6 service code I can't see yet.
Acura (and most other mfg) say change the oil at least every 12 months, regardless of what the oil life says. GM actually takes that into account in the oil life monitor by dropping the oil life by either 2%/wk or by use info. so one doesn't need to remember the last time oil was changed. What effect resetting the MID before the 20% has i don't know but I did reset mine in March 2021 at 1 year when it was at about 50%, and it came up with what I expected for service code when oil life was down to 10% this last october.

Prior to Covid, None of my vehicles would go more than 6-9 months before needing an oil change, Since covid, it's been the 1 year thing, until this summer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
used my MDX to return the U-haul trailer I was using, since my excursion blew the engine... 350 miles with 2100 lbs and it was fine.

I will say it made the blindspot monitor on the left side a little over-active, but that's better than under-alerting.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,634 Posts
Definitely this is a first for me. Driving through a prescribed burn where the smoke literally came onto the highway. Cabin got that burn/smoke smell. Also, two Palm Beach deputies were there.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Everyone, I called 1800 battery and replaced the battery on a mdx 2016 tech package, I also replaced the key fob battery .
Now, I need to reset the anti theft display that keeps on showing up when I start the car.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,634 Posts
Just got my 2 year registration renewal today in the mail. FL tags expires on the birth date of the register owner either every year or every 2 years, right at midnight. So now I got little over 26 months of registration before I need to renew again.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
460 Posts
Picked up my MDX from the dealership after a free oil change(CPOs get first oil change free). What a waste of time... drove 25 miles(one way) during rush hour to drop the vehicle yesterday and picked up the loaner, total 2 hours. Went to pickup my MDX, another 2 hours.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Picked up my MDX from the dealership after a free oil change(CPOs get first oil change free). What a waste of time... drove 25 miles(one way) during rush hour to drop the vehicle yesterday and picked up the loaner, total 2 hours. Went to pickup my MDX, another 2 hours.
It's far quicker and easier to just change the oil myself in the driveway - and I know with certainty that it was done correctly.

Not everyone is willing to DIY but doing an oil/filter change on the MDX is easy to do.

·
Administrator
2018 MDX SH-AWD
61 Posts
Performed the B12 service and replaced the liftgate switch last week. All told, only cost me about $120.

It was the first time since I purchased the vehicle used several months ago that I had to do any service. I couldn't even get a filter cup wrench on because of the inadequate clearance between it and the frame rail. Horrible. Good thing I also have filter pliers.

The switch was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
460 Posts
It's far quicker and easier to just change the oil myself in the driveway - and I know with certainty that it was done correctly.

Not everyone is willing to DIY but doing an oil/filter change on the MDX is easy to do.
I had the dealer do because of first free oil change and also wanted to get couple issues checked out. I am DYIer for a while now.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I had the dealer do because of first free oil change and also wanted to get couple issues checked out. I am DYIer for a while now.
Good. I was just keying off of your 50 miles of driving and 4 hours spent to have a 'free' oil change done. It sounds as if you wanted them to check on other stuff as well though so maybe you were planning on taking it there anyway.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Took our new to us baby home. This is our 4th MDX. We had an 04 (bought new), 07(leased),08 (CPO). We sold our 2013 Pilot trg awd when I bought a new truck this year. Wife missed the 8-seater. I wanted a van, toyota hybrid awd,but she wanted an suv. Gotta make her happy. Tonight we bought another CPO 2019 base AWD, bronze/espresso, roof rails, trailer tow pkg for 5k#, extended warranty. My wife loves the color!
I was planning to buy a new pilot, but dealers want us to pay MSRP + $3500-$8000 added accessories and markup!
So mdxers, I'm back!:cool:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Took my 19 MDX in for alignment check with Firestone (lifetime warranty). The last time I took the MDX in to Firestone was at time of purchase back in April 2019 when I had 1/2 of the 14 adjustment points in the yellow or red when it rolled off the transport. I only had two readings in the red (steer ahead, driver's rear toe) that was adjusted into the green. The rear camber is always in the red.

161 - 180 of 193 Posts