Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
So glad I went hybrid with my RLX and MDX before the pandemic hit. I average 25-26 mpg in my MDX and 28-29 mpg in my RLX. I still have my 11 MDX and it was $60 to fill her up with 91 Octane at Sam's last week.

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
over the weekend I whipped the MDX pretty hard down at the tail of the dragon. Really thoroughly impressed with the handling from the AWD system.
Is this near by the great smoky mountains? Been to GSM few times, but never been there. Gonna try it next time.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,634 Posts
Called Geico and it looks like I can afford 2 MDXs. And apparently, this is something I just learned: Geico gives an extended warranty for brand spanking new vehicles up to 7 years/100k miles. And also clarified that I would need to get a separate insurance for track days and track events, since the agent looked at my policy contract and told me track events are excluded from coverage.

yes, GSMNP is about an hour north east of there. lots of winding roads, and you'll definitely want to make sure your cargo is packed neatly. otherwise you're looking at having all your stuff scrambled.
So best bet is to get a Hotel and dump all the stuff in the room before hitting those curves?

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
And apparently, this is something I just learned: Geico gives an extended warranty for brand spanking new vehicles up to 7 years/100k miles. .
Is this new? I know Geico has "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance" for car insured within 15 months of new car purchase and less than 15K miles, up to 7 years/100K for small premium fee and it has $250 deductible for each claim.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,634 Posts
Just looked at my spreadsheet for fuel I spent this year so far, might do a dedicated thread (might be a rant), cuz $3k didn't even yield me 30k miles this year, whereas in a previous year (not 2020), $3400 yielded 36k miles.

Is this new? I know Geico has "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance" for car insured within 15 months of new car purchase and less than 15K miles, up to 7 years/100K for small premium fee and it has $250 deductible for each claim.
First time that I am buying a new vehicle (not pops) and on my own insurance policy. Its something I learned new yesterday about Insurance. But there is a greater chance I have to go to a different company to insure it for track use.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Just looked at my spreadsheet for fuel I spent this year so far, might do a dedicated thread (might be a rant), cuz $3k didn't even yield me 30k miles this year, whereas in a previous year (not 2020), $3400 yielded 36k miles.
The cost of fuel isn't even noteworthy in comparison to the cost of a new S model MDX. It's just a nit not worthy of tracking or getting excited by hypermiling to get a few more mpg on a tank. I don't understand being willing to pay the high cost for a new MDX, let alone a type S model, yet being this concerned about the cost of gas to the point of tracking it this closely. Of course, it's good to do a budget so in that respect knowing what's spent on fuel is a good idea. Maybe that's what your goal is.

In addition, fuel cost/gal is normally a wide ranging variable - more so than the mileage of the vehicle. You said your gas just crossed over $3/gal whereas in California where I live it's been over $4 for a long time. When I do my cross country trips the cost of fuel varies all over the place with the only constant being that California is always the highest. Just across the state line in Yuma the cost drops significantly and stays low all the way to the east coast and back till I hit California again. That's what outrageous state taxation will do. This variability in the cost/gal would be enough to make the end result of fuel cost/yr vary considerably - and then there's the variable of the miles driven, which aren't usually constant year to year either.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,634 Posts
The cost of fuel isn't even noteworthy in comparison to the cost of a new S model MDX. It's just a nit not worthy of tracking or getting excited by hypermiling to get a few more mpg on a tank.

In addition, fuel cost/gal is normally a wide ranging variable - more so than the mileage of the vehicle. You said your gas just crossed over $3/gal whereas in California where I live it's been over $4 for a long time. When I do my cross country trips the cost of fuel varies all over the place with the only constant being that California is always the highest. Just across the state line in Yuma the cost drops significantly and stays low all the way to the east coast and back till I hit California again. That's what outrageous state taxation will do.
I'm used to seeing prices in the mid $2s. And actually I'm not always hypermilling. These days I'm getting home by or before midnight. That's with just keeping my speed between 80 MPH and 90 MPH. It'll be a thorough and detailed analysis of everything w/ graphs included. Only difference is the stations used, as I only got my separate costco membership in Jan 2020.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,634 Posts
Got a phone mount today after being told training for work occurs while I'm driving home. Not sure why phone vent mounts doesn't work on the MDX, but i decided to mount this next to the 2nd screen and fits my 2nd phone (work device).

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,634 Posts
Almost wrecked my MDX few moments ago bc a Dodge Journey almost cut me off from the left lane to take an exit last second. I did got it on dash cam.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Snow state owners should drop and clean the spare tire every once in a while. I do not believe this one had been off since the car was built in 2014. These rims are somewhat hard to find as they only fit 14-16 MDX (17x4T 5x114.3). Chicago Wheel Service in Elk Grove Village sandblasted, powder coated, and mounted the spare back on for $85. Add another $10 for tire cleaner at Walmart and a $20 tip for the guy at Discount Tire who dismounted the rusty spare tire for free. So I'm all in at $115. Goodyear temporary spares in this size go for $275 at tirerack.

Before
Tire Wheel Locking hubs Motor vehicle Automotive tire

After
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Snow state owners should drop and clean the spare tire every once in a while. I do not believe this one had been off since the car was built in 2014.
Good suggestion.

The problem with the spare is it can fall into 'out of sight, out of mind'.

The other thing to do even for non snow area people like me - check the air pressure of the spare every now and then or else when you go to use it you might find it too low on pressure to drive on. At the same time as topping up the air pressure one can check the condition of the wheel as 'bustedknuckles' suggests.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I have full size spares on my 11 MDX and 19 MDX (full size spare in the garage for RLX with donut in car). I set the PSI to 45 so I only have to check it a few times a year.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I only have to check it a few times a year
I think checking a few times a year is adequate for any type of spare. Being down a few psi isn't a big deal. The problem is that some people go years without checking it. An acquaintance found out about this the hard way when he had a flat and went to replace it with the spare only to discover the spare was not inflated nearly enough to use. I suggested to him to check it a few times per year from now on and to buy and carry an inflator just in case (which I also have).

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I think checking a few times a year is adequate for any type of spare. Being down a few psi isn't a big deal. The problem is that some people go years without checking it. An acquaintance found out about this the hard way when he had a flat and went to replace it with the spare only to discover the spare was not inflated nearly enough to use. I suggested to him to check it a few times per year from now on and to buy and carry an inflator just in case (which I also have).
My thinking is my tires drop 1-2 PSI per month and the PSI can change by 4-10 PSI depending on temperature and/or altitude. I live at 5300 feet and can be at sea level or +11,000 feet in a day with all kinds of PSI fluctuations depending on direction of travel. Keeping my spare at 45 PSI covers more scenarios to get on the hwy faster at 80-85 mph when traveling without the hassle of having to add air.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A family of wire brushes, one can each of rustoleum self-etching primer, black gloss paint, clear coat, a roll of painters tape and finally the underside is looking better. Did the hard work a few days ago when I took the spare off. Several hours laying on my back working wire brushes around. Sprayed everything from the back axle to the rear bumper with woolwax undercoating. It's organic wax literally made from pressing sheep's wool and collecting the oil. Hopefully no harm. The center area needs more work so I avoided spraying there. Gas tank straps are looking bad and probably should be replaced or at least taken off and refinished.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you look closely along the rocker panel edges in picture 2 above you can see damage done by someone with zero knowledge of where to place a jack. Tried to pull them back down, but not budging. The rockers are vinyl so maybe a heat gun might soften it up enough to go back to the original shape. Otherwise around $350 for new ones. You don't notice it from outside.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,634 Posts
Not exactly today, but yesterday roughly the same time. Some inconsiderate broke FL law and passed me on the shoulder. I was able to find that exact dash camera recording right now since I downloaded 10 minutes of video prior to me calling FHP. If anyone has young drivers, tell them NEVER to use the shoulder as a passing lane. I am not sure if FHP gave a ticket to this VW Jetta driver.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,634 Posts
Just casually spotted a McLaren 570 at Costco during my nearly daily commute to the Costco gas station. Fortunately enough, our pump was right next to the McLaren and I had to leave my door open so my brother could hear that V8.

141 - 160 of 193 Posts