Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
421 - 430 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,070 Posts
How can you complain about someones driving while you are behind the steering wheel and video taping the Toyota driver who has 2 brain cells? I would like to here your explanation for such behaviour.
I was at a red light. Said idiot hogged up two lanes when we had the green light. Took pics when I was completely fully stopped. I’m just too tired to grab the dash cam footage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
What's the upgrade for and what's involved in it other than the ground?
It involves changing out the POS & NEG cables. from the alternator to the battery, and the engine GROUND with a larger/thicker (lower Gage number) power cables/wire.
This will improve the electrical system, of the car, if you want to add power hungry upgrades (like an high power aftermarket amplifier or off road lights)

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,070 Posts
It involves changing out the POS & NEG cables. from the alternator to the battery, and the engine GROUND with a larger/thicker (lower Gage number) power cables/wire.
This will improve the electrical system, of the car, if you want to add power hungry upgrades (like an high power aftermarket amplifier or off road lights)
Is it possible for you to do a write up for this?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I really like my heated steering wheel for those extremely chilly mornings. It needs a Low/High setting instead of an ON/OFF button. The heated steering wheel will get extremely hot to the touch in a few minutes and you have to turn it off (think summer time parked in the sun hot).
heated steering wheel is nice in cold days, I wish there was a cooled steering wheel as well for the hot summer days!

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,070 Posts
heated steering wheel is nice in cold days, I wish there was a cooled steering wheel as well for the hot summer days!
I need this too lol. I come to an oven by the time my shift ends. Perks of a dark colored MDX, lol

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Problem solved! Next world peace...

Toy Fawn Technology Snout Stuffed toy

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Thanks for the response.

Adding thicker wires won't actually improve anything if the current wires (pun intended) can already handle the current delivery capability of the alternator to where the loads are. If the existing cables are undersized for the load 'and' the current delivery capability of the alternator then an upgrade would be warranted, otherwise it's a waste of money and effort. In addition, it's the entire circuit to the load(s) that need to be accommodated regarding current carrying capability which is more than just the power/ground of the battery and alternator and engine ground.

Unless someone does the math, including the alternator capability. load points, and intermediate wiring, it sounds like an exercise in futility. But maybe you've already done that. Did you change out the alternator for a higher capacity unit?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Adding thicker wires won't actually improve anything if the current wires (pun intended) can already handle the current delivery capability of the alternator to where the loads are.
there's a hidden benefit of this upgrade, and that is that the upgraded cables are usually a lot more corrosion-resistant than the OE braided strap

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
there's a hidden benefit of this upgrade, and that is that the upgraded cables are usually a lot more corrosion-resistant than the OE braided strap
I guess if nothing else, someone who does an upgrade like this probably will pay a lot more attention to the condition of their cable connections than the average owner. It's appalling what I see when I stop to try to help people stranded in their cars (while I'm walking) with the condition of the corrosion around the terminals and battery posts. And most people have no idea there even is an engine ground strap/wire never mind where it's located or why it's necessary.

421 - 430 of 430 Posts