Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
401 - 420 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Took the X to the Honda dealer for an OC & TR. Basically dealer is now asking BMW prices for a simple OC & TR. This is literally my last time having any dealer do an OC on my X, due to coupons no longer existing for a cheap OC & TR. However, they had switched to Honda branded oil, so wanted to give that a try and see how well it'll stack up to against Castrol & Mobil 1. I looked at Costco and sure enough the only 0W-20 they carry is the Kirkland Signature in 2x 5qrt jugs. I might end up having to buy the oil from WalMart to get 6 qrts of 0W-20 instead.

From experience:

Mobil 1 runs clean until ~6500 miles or so
Castrol Magnatec runs clean until ~5500 or so

I will see how long the oil will last here.

Previous OC was on Castrol and changed at 20% with 5,949 miles on it.
Honda branded oil?
Do you mean the bulk oil dealers buy or the actual bottle oil Honda and Acura dealers sell?
If bulk, it used to be Conoco / Phillips when I retired from AHM. The branded bottle oil was produced by Idemitsu …. which was a good oil. That was back a few yrs ago, not sure if it’s still the same. Honda and Acura dealers can use whatever brand oil they want though, as long as it meets Honda specs.

As far as oil looking dirty after so many miles …. this is not a good judge if the oil is still good or not. Having it lab tested is the only really way to determine this.
The oil in my 15 Accord V6 with 60K miles looks clean even after 5000 miles, but my 20 MDX with 18K miles looks dirty after only 3000 miles ….. and I use Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE Full Synthetic in both with a Fram Ultra filter.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,070 Posts
Honda branded oil?
Do you mean the bulk oil dealers buy or the actual bottle oil Honda and Acura dealers sell?
If bulk, it used to be Conoco / Phillips when I retired from AHM. The branded bottle oil was produced by Idemitsu …. which was a good oil. That was back a few yrs ago, not sure if it’s still the same. Honda and Acura dealers can use whatever brand oil they want though, as long as it meets Honda specs.

As far as oil looking dirty after so many miles …. this is not a good judge if the oil is still good or not. Having it lab tested is the only really way to determine this.
The oil in my 15 Accord V6 with 60K miles looks clean even after 5000 miles, but my 20 MDX with 18K miles on it looks dirty after only 3000 miles ….. and I use Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE Full Synthetic in both with a Fram Ultra filter.
I actually talked with the Service Manager about this. Dude said “Honda sends the oil directly to us”, so I have no clue who supplies the oil for Honda. Next question was is there any difference between the Castrol Magnatec Oil and this Honda branded oil. This second question was to understand why paying Arms and Legs was needed.

I know looking by the oil color is not a good idea, but I can’t casually ask them to send a sample of the oil to a lab.

I might actually do this in a couple of OC to see the actual health of the engine.

Definitely I may need to buy a qrt of this oil to understand better. Will be doing the same with the Castrol oil (might actually stick with Castrol for the MDX).

Picture of the R/O paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Took the MDX on a spontaneous drive with no destination in mind. Ran through heavy downpour on I-95. Stopped at Buc-ees in Daytona Beach for the first time and also was relieved to see regular fuel way below $4. And also was surprised to see that the most deadliest highway in the country is one of the most fuel efficient roads (Interstate 4) . Hit 30.6 MPG on the onboard computer.

30.6 MPG...nice, I'm jelly
.....and yes I-4 is one of the most deadliest roads in the country....rarely do I drive on that highway and don't see a car on its roof or totaled.

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX Advance SH AWD
110 Posts
30.6 MPG...nice, I'm jelly
.....and yes I-4 is one of the most deadliest roads in the country....rarely do I drive on that highway and don't see a car on its roof or totaled.
Just took a trip from southwest PA to northern Ohio and arrived at friends home, avg was 27.9 with 87 octane. (I know, I know). Pretty good given hills and all included.

Speedometer Trip computer Tachometer Odometer Gauge

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
That was the mpg number I would get with my 06 TSX with NA 2.4L+5AT. I'm really starting to love our 3rd Gen MDXs compared to the 2nd or 4th Gens. No trans oil mixing, oil consumption, P/S issues, or ADS failures like the 2nd Gen. No info-tainment issues, extremely high prices, or low mpgs like the 4th Gen.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,070 Posts
I'm really starting to love our 3rd Gen MDXs compared to the 2nd or 4th Gens.
Its literally my favorite too. Honda hit it in the sweet spot although lacking in mine is the 360 camera.

Can we all just say these 3rd gens does get compliments? One of my managers gave me a compliment on how my MDX looks. She was def suprised to hear my X is brown as she said it was black.

Reactions: mrgold35

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just traded for a CPO 2019 Advanced. Love the car so far. Super comfortable seats and the sport mode is a nice way to feel in command of the car. The only issue I have is a hard shift around 1500 RPM’s. Feels like there is a sticky servo piston or or something … or I guess it could be a software issue. Is this the problem that others are reporting?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I just completed a long 8,500 mile coast to coast plus road tip all over the place in my 2014 MDX. It performed flawlessly. I didn't pay attention to mileage or the cost of gas but I just checked the trip computer and it indicates an average of around 28.5 for the last 3 tanks of (premium) gas. I started at 100% life left on the oil and ended with 10% life left so I'll do an oil change and tire rotation this weekend (DIY). The tires (Michelin Defender LTX) were brand new at the start of the trip and already it's time for the rotation.

Especially for Datechboss - At one point in the middle of Wyoming I accidentally pushed the limit a bit on the tank of gas to where it got down to around '6 miles to go' on the MID for gas before I finally came to a gas station. It was somewhere over 500 miles on the tank of gas. Despite seeming almost out of gas it only took 18.1 gallons and the tank capacity is 19.5 gal so that means I should've had roughly 1.4 gallons left which would have been good for another roughly 40 miles.

Took the X to the Honda dealer for an OC & TR. Basically dealer is now asking BMW prices for a simple OC & TR.
I don't think the prices you showed on the receipt look bad. It's less than what I would've expected although I only do my own oil changes and tire rotations so I don't know what the normal charge is. The last time I bought oil it was roughly $26 or so for 5 qts of Mobile 1 full syn. I buy either at Costco if they have it (spotty if they do or not) or Walmart (the only thing I ever buy at Walmart and I buy it online so I don't have to go to the store). But it's expected that a dealer will charge more for the oil. I doubt there's any real functional difference between Castrol, Mobil 1, or any other major name brand full syn 0W-20 oil so I think any would be fine and to not sweat the perceived appearance differences. If you don't want to DIY the next oil change ask your SA if you can bring them the oil for the change and you might be able to save $23 or so if that's worth it to you.

Swapped out the engine ground (one of the steps of the Big 3 electrical upgrade)
What's the upgrade for and what's involved in it other than the ground?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Decided to have the local maintenance repair shop rotate the tires on my 20 SH-AWD MDX today. I usually do this myself but didn’t feel like jacking up the vehicle and moving the tires around to get the correct rotation (getting old and tired I guess, lol), plus it’s only $15 at this shop. Hard to beat.
Afterwards, I filled up the car and drove into town to run some errands. After 20 miles, I decided to look at the “Range” gauge.
567 miles!! … and I already drove 20!
I know this is just an estimate based on the prior few miles driven and what’s left in the tank, but wow!
Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Car Trip computer

·
Registered
238 Posts
gave the outside a good wash, and vacuumed out the interior.

Also bought a set of rail extensions for my Quickjacks so that I can pick up the MDX... they are about 3" too short to safely support the MDX as-is. Looks like the newer version has that longer reach built in already.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,070 Posts
Just paid $400 OTD for a brand new heated ASPEC steering wheel. Should hopefully arrive by the weekend, and I should be able to knock this out on 4th of July weekend. Also scheduled to drop the MDX off at Honda dealer for the TB job and also the brake job too. Apparently brake fluid is not getting changed with this job, but I'm going to be $2k broke, after taxes & shop fees. 50/50 on dropping her off the afternoon before or the day of, depending on what my job schedule looks like.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,070 Posts
For use in Florida?
Yup. Some mornings are cold. Florida is bipolar in weather. Can’t always predict it being hot and sunny 365 days.

Also, Acurapartswarehouse has it only with the heating element.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I really like my heated steering wheel for those extremely chilly mornings. It needs a Low/High setting instead of an ON/OFF button. The heated steering wheel will get extremely hot to the touch in a few minutes and you have to turn it off (think summer time parked in the sun hot).

• Wow
Reactions: 96firephoenix

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,070 Posts
Welp, almost wrecked the MDX to pass an inconsiderate idiot on the road. I don’t understand why drivers and owners of Toyotas got less than 2 brain cells when they drive. Attaching picture of the idiot and her crapbox in question. This stretch of road, people lack lane etiquette. Had I not need to fill the MDX up I would have taken the FL turnpike. This happened near Disney World.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How can you complain about someones driving while you are behind the steering wheel and video taping the Toyota driver who has 2 brain cells? I would like to here your explanation for such behaviour.

401 - 420 of 430 Posts