Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
321 - 340 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,004 Posts
Took the MDX on a spontaneous drive with no destination in mind. Ran through heavy downpour on I-95. Stopped at Buc-ees in Daytona Beach for the first time and also was relieved to see regular fuel way below $4. And also was surprised to see that the most deadliest highway in the country is one of the most fuel efficient roads (Interstate 4) . Hit 30.6 MPG on the onboard computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 MDX
13 Posts
Wife drove it 600 miles back home. Said it was very comfortable.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Had new tires installed yesterday.
I went with Pirelli Scorpion AS 3+ because of the excellent reviews on Tire Rack. 245/60 R18.
I've only put about 50 freeway miles on them so far but they are much quieter (both at steady speed and while impacting bumps, ruts, etc.) than the OEM Michelin Latitude Tour HP I had before. Turn in from center is also more responsive than before, smaller movements of the steering wheel cause the vehicle to shift direction sooner, more fitting for the MDXs athletic nature. Previously I had great experiences with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 and 06+ (MINI and Q7), but they aren't made in the proper size for the base wheels, they were more expensive, and I rarely drive the MDX hard enough to appreciate the additional grip an ultra high performance AS tire would provide anyway.

I didn't really think much of the Michelins. They weren't great at anything in particular but I never had complaints either. They got me through plenty of dirt and mud-covered roads just fine, but spent most of their time on dry pavement in the Southwest so their supposedly poor winter/wet performance (based on TireRack reviews) went unnoticed by me. I got 58k miles out of them which is rather good I think, but I would have replaced them a year/10,000 miles ago if I had rain or snow to deal with on a regular basis. The tire noise wasn't an issue for me because I became used to it. I couldn't switch back now knowing how much quieter the Pirellis are.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I got 58k miles out of them which is rather good I think
That's pretty good I think. On my 2014 I replaced the OEM Contis with Michelin Premier LTX at 43K miles. The Michelin Premier looks like I'll probably replace at maybe under 50K miles on them unless I decide to just do it even sooner due to a long trip coming up. They're currently at 3/32 but brand new were only 8/32.

I looked at a few tires to replace them with and decided I don't want the Michelin CrossClimate2 because they're directional tires I wouldn't be able to rotate normally. That leaves me with the Michelin Defender LTX, Conti LX25, or Pirelli Scorpion like you bought. I'm biased towards Michelin though just due to past experience with the brand. I hope your Pirellis work out well though.

·
Registered
2016 MDX
13 Posts
We went with Michelin Cross Climate, for the New York weather. She liked them on the TSX wagon, so went with the same. The AWD and these should do well.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
We went with Michelin Cross Climate, for the New York weather. She liked them on the TSX wagon, so went with the same. The AWD and these should do well.
The tires appear to be good tires but my concern is that since they're directional tires they can't be rotated to the opposite side without dismounting, remounting, rebalancing the tire each time and I like to do a full rotation of tires, not just same side, in order to get the most even wear out of tires.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,004 Posts
That's pretty good I think. On my 2014 I replaced the OEM Contis with Michelin Premier LTX at 43K miles. The Michelin Premier looks like I'll probably replace at maybe under 50K miles on them unless I decide to just do it even sooner due to a long trip coming up. They're currently at 3/32 but brand new were only 8/32.

I looked at a few tires to replace them with and decided I don't want the Michelin CrossClimate2 because they're directional tires I wouldn't be able to rotate normally. That leaves me with the Michelin Defender LTX, Conti LX25, or Pirelli Scorpion like you bought. I'm biased towards Michelin though just due to past experience with the brand. I hope your Pirellis work out well though.
I’d start shopping now just in case if the tires starts to hydroplane any time soon. Maybe give Goodyear a try. I put like 41k miles on my current set of tires and they still got like 8/32 left, granted the new thread depth was around 11-12/32.

Goodyear and Dunlop tires is what I recommend for quiet ride and for longer lasting tires. Can’t say about Bridgestone and the OEM Continental tires.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The tires appear to be good tires but my concern is that since they're directional tires they can't be rotated to the opposite side without dismounting, remounting, rebalancing the tire each time and I like to do a full rotation of tires, not just same side, in order to get the most even wear out of tires.
my answer to that issue with directional tires has been to swap them front to rear for the first rotation, then eat the mount and dismount cost for the next.

I would rather spend the extra mount/dismount, but your money, your choice.

·
Registered
2016 MDX
13 Posts
I don't rotate my tires, so no worries there.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,004 Posts
I don't rotate my tires, so no worries there.
Actually alot of worries here. Uneven tire wear, higher chances of rough ride, etc. Its worth paying the $20 to a shop to rotate the tires or rotate them yourself. Extends the life of the tires overall.

·
Registered
2016 MDX
13 Posts
To me it's not worth it. How are you supposed to read tire wear if you are rotating them all the time? I want to see what my suspension is doing, as far as wearing out. Swapping sides and such does not give you the opportunity to see that. Been driving for 42 years, never rotated tires.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
To me it's not worth it. How are you supposed to read tire wear if you are rotating them all the time? I want to see what my suspension is doing, as far as wearing out. Swapping sides and such does not give you the opportunity to see that. Been driving for 42 years, never rotated tires.
The problem with not rotating tires, and the reason it's recommended to do by all auto companies, is to even out the wear. If one doesn't rotate they'll be replacing tires sooner. They wear unevenly due to various issues in the steering component setup and wear (such as bushing wear) and the like as well as alignment issues, but they also wear unevenly due to the weight on each axle as well as whether they're the driven (or primarily driven) wheels or not - i.e. fronts or rears. When one does the rotation they inspect the tire wear at that time and look for any wear issues that might be caused by a steering component issue and then can fix that item right away.

I've been driving for over 50 years and have always rotated the tires and know that if I didn't rotate them I'd be replacing tires much sooner than otherwise necessary. It's annoying to have to replace all 4 tires when really just one or two have uneven or a faster wear rate than the others. It's a waste.

With a directional tire like the Crossclimate it can still be rotated fully - it just has some expense in having to have it demounted, remounted, balanced each time like 96FirePhoenix does but that's not a huge cost and it's better than just not rotating at all.

To each their own.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
my answer to that issue with directional tires has been to swap them front to rear for the first rotation, then eat the mount and dismount cost for the next.

I would rather spend the extra mount/dismount, but your money, your choice.
That generated a question in my mind - I wonder if a place like Discount Tire (America's Tire in some areas), whose service I've been impressed with, who offers 'free' tire rotations and balancing as necessary for tires purchased there, would go ahead and do the full rotation on a directional tire including the demount, remount, balance, included in that 'free'.

Have you checked with them?

·
Registered
2016 MDX
13 Posts
That's a good question. Good to know too.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Discount Tires can add road hazard and lifetime balance/rotation for around +/- $35 per tire. You don't have to purchase the tires from them to add the road hazard warranty. I did this for my brand new 19 MDX OEM tires 3 years ago and I already repaired one slow leak from a nail, 3 rotations/balance (I do this every oil change), and one road force balance (when new) with +34,000 miles on the MDX. I also have lifetime alignment with Firestone and use that twice in 3 years to keep the 14 alignment points in the green (in the yellow is the best for rear camber).

Much harder to feel the alignment being off if you use LKAS and RDW on road trips.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
That's a good question. Good to know too.
My guess is that for a directional tire they'd just do a front/back rotation rather than a cross side x pattern one. It's still better than no rotation because at least it accommodates the wear differences due to the different weights over the axles due to the engine, etc.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discount Tires can add road hazard and lifetime balance/rotation for around +/- $35 per tire. You don't have to purchase the tires from them to add the road hazard warranty. I did this for my brand new 19 MDX OEM tires 3 years ago and I already repaired one slow leak from a nail,
In my experience Discount Tire does flat repairs for free - outside of the extra cost road hazard warranty, and their website confirms this. I think the road hazard warranty is to replace a tire in the event of an unrepairable condition, like if a hole drill bit goes through the sidewall (happened to me once), or if it hits a very bad pothole or curb which damages the sidewall. A normal nail hole is something they routinely fix for free - I've had it done multiple times. I think the lifetime rotations/balancing is included with the basic mounting also - not part of the road hazard.

It looks like Costco may include 5 years of road hazard warranty for free - I need to check on that further and read the warranty details.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
In my experience Discount Tire does flat repairs for free - outside of the extra cost road hazard warranty, and their website confirms this. I think the road hazard warranty is to replace a tire in the event on an unrepairable condition, like if a hole drill bit goes through the sidewall (happened to me once), or if it hits a very bad pothole or curb which damages the sidewall. A normal nail hole is something they routinely fix for free - I've had it done multiple times.
Probably right ; but, I purchase all my tires from Discount Tires and add Road Hazard. I've got plenty of use from rotations, balance, flat repairs, and prorated tire replacement with +7 vehicles and +800,000 total miles over the last 25 years (before that it was Sears).

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Okay, I just read the Costco road hazard warranty - it's included for 5 years with all their tires and if the tire becomes unserviceable in it's tread lifetime, likely due to a sidewall damage, they'll prorate a credit for the tire based on the amount of tread left. This is a good deal actually when comparing costs with a place like Discount Tire where the road hazard is an extra added cost.

A side note - for the road hazard to be valid it states a few requirements including -
  1. You must rotate and balance your tires as outlined by the vehicle manufacturer.
  2. You must operate your tires at inflation pressures outlined by the vehicle manufacturer.
This is yet another reason to rotate tires and could be a costly error if one doesn't.

321 - 340 of 379 Posts