Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/ Technology. Tow package, LED Fogs, Roof Rails, Door sills
26 Posts
This afternoon I did a Transmission drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
3.6 Quarts were drained and I put 3.6 quarts of Maxlife ATF in the transmission. Took about 20 minutes to do...fairly easy task. Only needed a rachet and an 8mm hex socket (8mm allen key). Drove the MDX around southern Seattle and it shifts so smooth! Very happy with the outcome and that this is just as easy as it was when I used Maxlife in my last Highlander for 150,000 trouble free miles.

Yesterday, clay barred the MDX and then used Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax...total time 2.5 hours.

Next, drain and fill the transfer case fluid and replace it with Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 (GL5).

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,633 Posts
Tonight, I used my MDX as a mid-sized pickup truck. Hauled some items for a massive expensive project, but handled like a champ. Unfortunately, due to items being stupid heavy, the MDX rode like an RX. We should have taken the Rogue for this trip, since it was fun trying not to ruin the headliner and plastics of the MDX while loading said heavy items.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/ Technology. Tow package, LED Fogs, Roof Rails, Door sills
26 Posts
Tackled the DIY job of changing the transfer case oil and rear differential fluid. For the transfer case I used Mobil 1 Syn Lube with LS 75W-90. Roughly 1/2 a quart went in. I had to route a 3/8 tubing behind the engine to the fill hole in order to get the 1/2 a quart of fluid in the transfer case.

The rear differential fluid change was fairly easy as well until my hand pump started leaking fluid. I put in roughly 2.7 quarts of Acura DPSF. I can't believe the fill and drain washers at Acura costs $6. Every time I bought a Toyota oil cartridge they threw in the oil pan drain washer for free. No big deal as it is reassurance it more than likely won't leak.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Tackled the DIY job of changing the transfer case oil and rear differential fluid. For the transfer case I used Mobil 1 Syn Lube with LS 75W-90. Roughly 1/2 a quart went in. I had to route a 3/8 tubing behind the engine to the fill hole in order to get the 1/2 a quart of fluid in the transfer case.

The rear differential fluid change was fairly easy as well until my hand pump started leaking fluid. I put in roughly 2.7 quarts of Acura DPSF. I can't believe the fill and drain washers at Acura costs $6. Every time I bought a Toyota oil cartridge they threw in the oil pan drain washer for free. No big deal as it is reassurance it more than likely won't leak.
my local acura dealer throws in an oil drain washer with each oil filter, they scotch tape it to the filter box, and when I picked up DW1 for the hybrid tranny and TMU, they tossed in the 4 crush washers need into the box of 6 qts of DW1 I bought.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hinshaw Acura in Fife Washington charged me $4.95 and $1.45 respectively for the rear differential washers. That's cool they did that for you, great customer service and a reason to keep going to them. Sometimes it's the small things that matter. I might try to buy the washers in bulk.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Took my 19 MDX in for alignment check with Firestone (lifetime warranty). The last time I took the MDX in to Firestone was at time of purchase back in April 2019 when I had 1/2 of the 14 adjustment points in the yellow or red when it rolled off the transport. I only had two readings in the red (steer ahead, driver's rear toe) that was adjusted into the green. The rear camber is always in the red.
Oh wow. I thought they stopped offering that lifetime wheel alignment. I got mine from old SEARS, but that was in the 90's? I'd check with my local Firestone if they have same offer. Good info. thanks.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Oh wow. I thought they stopped offering that lifetime wheel alignment. I got mine from old SEARS, but that was in the 90's? I'd check with my local Firestone if they have same offer. Good info. thanks.
I also used Sears auto service and their lifetime warranties on parts/services when they were around. We barely get an 1 year warranty for bit ticket times today. I'm surprised anyone offers lifetime warranties on anything now days.

I usually keep my vehicles +150,000 miles and I do the Firestone alignment and Discount Tire warranties. I think it is around $110 for the alignment and $110 to add lifetime on top of that. I do the alignment with new tires, after any suspension or brake work, or once a year. I always have a few of the 14 adjustments points in the yellow or red in the before/after report. Plus, the MDX seems to ride smoother at hwy speeds after the alignment (hwy speeds of 75-85 mph).

Side Note: Every Acura I've had always had the rear camber in the red and can't be adjusted with OEM parts. I just do lifetime warranty tire rotation/balance at Discount Tires every M.I.D. oil change to even out the wear.

Reactions: gotMDX

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I also used Sears auto service and their lifetime warranties on parts/services when they were around. We barely get an 1 year warranty for bit ticket times today. I'm surprised anyone offers lifetime warranties on anything now days.
Too bad it turned out to be the lifetime of Sears rather than the car.

Auto parts stores sell some parts with lifetime warranties. My 1998 Durango went through at least 4 water pumps in 235K miles but I do the work myself and had the lifetime warranty part from Autozone or O'Reilly so after the first one they were no cost to me, which was good. I got pretty adept and quick at changing the water pump on that vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tinted all rear lights; added front driver/passenger window tints 18% (ish); Rhino rack roof rails and a Black Horse rear bumper protector.. Looking at upgrading the wheels in the spring.. Shopping around for something 5 spoke 22 inch in black and will be doing a chrome delete in the spring as well.. Yes, i do realize the MDX needs a good wash ;)
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,633 Posts
Replaced both the Engine air filter and Cabin air filter on my MDX. Also, decided to replace the ones on pops car, since Nissan wants $100 for Cabin air filter and $60 for engine. Pops car barely gets driven and the engine air filter is the dirtiest of both vehicles. 17k miles on the odo and sat mostly during the pandemic.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

181 - 193 of 193 Posts