Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came back from vacation and took the rest of the week off. I spent the entire next day cleaning and prepping the paint even though it had less than 200 miles on it...

Did a full C Quartz coating on it followed by the restore spray. It's as smooth as glass now! Took forever, longer than I expected but it was a pretty easy process all in all. My wife is impatiently waiting for it to cure now. Got the splash guards installed too.

My only thing left now is to order and add the factory hitch for those mulch trips to Lowes. It's way cheaper for the after market options but I like the replacement panel that fits around the factory hitch.

What are y'all doing to yours???

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
881 Posts
The factory hitch is pretty slick for sure. Be sure to read the instructions, and use the short screws where indicated. Otherwise the long ones will rub on the new panel. The only real special item you need is a 18mm socket and a torque wrench. A dab of red lock tite helps also.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The factory hitch is pretty slick for sure. Be sure to read the instructions, and use the short screws where indicated. Otherwise the long ones will rub on the new panel. The only real special item you need is a 18mm socket and a torque wrench. A dab of red lock tite helps also.
Thanks for the tip on the short screws. Got the rest of the stuff so that will not be an issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not today, but first thing I did was have a front clear bra installed and opticoat the whole vehicle. Then I had the advanced running board installed by the dealer since I didn't have 4hours to install it. Last week I installed the roof rail and the bumper protector. The car is 2 months old and it really stands out of the crowd with the running board/roof rail.
I do a quick wipe down every time I park it in the garage so there is no speck of dust on the paint.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed my hitch and wiring harness today. Install took me just over an hour and that was with me slow walking it, it's got just under 1,000 miles on it so it was getting the white glove treatment. Very easy install! Curry Acura via eBay for the win! Hitch was massive too, very beefy. I wasn't expecting the the ball mount to be included as well (minus ball) so I'll add that to the stash of towing junk I've got. Didn't get a chance to test it since I no longer have a trailer but that's on the list to replace with a much smaller version. I've got a tester somewhere but couldn't find it quickly so I gave up for tonight. I'll look for that another day, no electrical gremlins showed up on the test drive and all lights worked appropriately so I think I'm good to go.

Even came with the harness for a trailer brake which made me laugh because I couldn't imagine using it to tow anything that would need electric brakes but I'm sure someone needs them. I threw the harness in the back just in case.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got finished doing the weekly wash on the wife's MDX and I noticed the passenger window will not work from the driver's side controls. The more I looked online the more I found with wiring harness issues. Seem they break around the plugs. Just my luck, car has just over 1,000 miles and already having minor issues... Hope it's an easy fix for them and I really hope they don't scratch anything fixing it! I'm guessing Acura got cheap and is trying to use the shortest length of wire possible. Maybe they need to rethink this area and put a little extra length so this doesn't continue to happen...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wife took the MDX in, they reset the window by holding the passenger side switch in the down position for 10 seconds past when the window went down and then up and hold that position for 10 seconds after it went all the way up. Didn't say anything else besides explain to her what they did. She didn't press them for reasons (she's too nice). I'm hoping it was a fluke because I don't want any electrical gremlins to pop up later on... It's fixed so I'm happy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ooh, i like these wdydt threads. Let's keep this one alive.

All i did today was the usual to-from daycare trip. Really hate short daily trips, since they are the worst for the engine. Should have gotten the hybrid, lol

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,514 Posts
Finally! Been seeing bunch of these on driveaccord.net for all the Accord gens! @JTM please make this thread a sticky!

Today: I just did my new but routine trip to the gym with the windows and sunroof open!

Reactions: BK1965

·
Registered
152 Posts
Finally got the Vanguard steps installed so the kids can get in and out easier. Kid tested, kiddo approved.

Pro-tip, get an 8x1.25 tap to chase the threads before you try to install the bolts.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,514 Posts
I Parked my MDX sideways on my driveway, and sure enough, it actually fits!

Also, I captured a horrible driver that nearly hit the front right portion of my MDX.

·
Registered
152 Posts
spent about 4 hours yesterday de-rusting my trailer hitch. I'm currently waiting on the rust converting agent to cure.

I'll have to tackle the rear subframe next, but fortunately it's only surface rust Vs the bad rust that was on the hitch. the trailer hitch and spare tire steel wheel seem to have acted as sacrificial anodes of sorts for the rest of the car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
spent about 4 hours yesterday de-rusting my trailer hitch. I'm currently waiting on the rust converting agent to cure.

I'll have to tackle the rear subframe next, but fortunately it's only surface rust Vs the bad rust that was on the hitch. the trailer hitch and spare tire steel wheel seem to have acted as sacrificial anodes of sorts for the rest of the car.
Wasn't happy with the results of the rust converter. so I bought a sandblaster wand for my pressure washer and stripped it to bare metal.

Some etching primer and automotive enamel later, and I'm rocking a pretty good looking trailer hitch.

I also installed a new wiring kit from the Acura dealer - really weird to me that someone would get the hitch but not the wiring...

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
447 Posts
Wasn't happy with the results of the rust converter. so I bought a sandblaster wand for my pressure washer and stripped it to bare metal.

Some etching primer and automotive enamel later, and I'm rocking a pretty good looking trailer hitch.

I also installed a new wiring kit from the Acura dealer - really weird to me that someone would get the hitch but not the wiring...
Let me know the primer and enamel used, I want to clean and rust proof undercarriage too

·
Registered
152 Posts
Let me know the primer and enamel used, I want to clean and rust proof undercarriage too
rustoleum self-etching primer and "automotive enamel"

I'm also going to spray some Herculiner on the areas that had the worst wear and rock exposure.

I might have used the "tractor enamel" if I had to do it over again, but that doesn't cure as quickly.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,514 Posts
Drove back down to campus today, had an interesting and probably one of my most scariest drives. I will be AVOIDING the FL Turnpike like Interstate 4.

I might have to get my MDX checked out due to an event that unfolded directly in front of me.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
447 Posts
Recently bought a full-size spare rim(identical used for $80) and a lightly used tire for $70 installed. Finally found time to nylon brush the rear under carriage and sprayed rust-oleum rust reformer on black suspension parts and sprayed Fluid film on chassis.

Thought I may have to do a detailed cleaning and rust removal, surprisingly I didn't see much rust at all even though the car is driven in Chicago area for over 4 years. Put the tire cover I bought from Amazon and installed full size spare.

rear axle shaft next to rubber boots seem to rust more than other parts, I didn't want to spray anything on the rubber boots so did not touch that area. Can I use silicon spray or just not bother?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 159 Posts