Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
The trick I found to not spilling oil from the oil filter on the cross member or making a mess is to use a Trader Joes plastic grocery bag and just wrap it around the filter then unscrew it.
You might want to check out a 'Form-A-Funnel'. I use one on my 2014 MDX when changing the oil filter from the right wheel well and don't spill a drop and it's much less clumsy to use than a plastic bag. I simply form it to go under the oil filter and over the frame member to pour into a drain pan. It really works well for this. It's more expensive than a plastic Trader Joe's bag or paper plate but is still cheap and works better.

Amazon.com: Form-A-Funnel Flexible Draining Tool (2 Piece Kit) : Automotive

·
Registered
185 Posts
You might want to check out a 'Form-A-Funnel'. I use one on my 2014 MDX when changing the oil filter from the right wheel well and don't spill a drop and it's much less clumsy to use than a plastic bag. I simply form it to go under the oil filter and over the frame member to pour into a drain pan. It really works well for this. It's more expensive than a plastic Trader Joe's bag or paper plate but is still cheap and works better.

Amazon.com: Form-A-Funnel Flexible Draining Tool (2 Piece Kit) : Automotive
I thought the plastic bag worked really well. My oil catch pan isn't large enough to extend that far over from drain plug at the same time if I used one of those.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I thought the plastic bag worked really well. My oil catch pan isn't large enough to extend that far over from drain plug at the same time if I used one of those.
No need to extend - first drain the oil from the pan then put the drain bolt back in then empty the drain pan then place the drain pan near the right front wheel area (more outside than under) for the form a funnel to drain into. It makes it easier without the drain pan fairly full of oil.

If the plastic bag, a Trader Joe's specific one, works well for you then you have it covered (pun intended).

Note - the pic below is from a 3rd gen MDX -

Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Use an extractor guys... If I'm not mistaken most engines are intended to use one these days and it couldn't be cleaner.

Some new technique to learn, yes, but once you get good at it (2 or 3 changes tops) it's so much better.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Use an extractor guys... If I'm not mistaken most engines are intended to use one these days and it couldn't be cleaner.
I know some people prefer the extractor but I don't find the oil change to be messy or onerous. It's pretty quick and simple to remove the drain bolt and reinstall it and slide out the filled drain pan.

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I know some people prefer the extractor but I don't find the oil change to be messy or onerous. It's pretty quick and simple to remove the drain bolt and reinstall it and slide out the filled drain pan.
I prefer to remove the dipstick, reinstall it and dispose of the filled extractor.

Sans lifting car.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I prefer to remove the dipstick, reinstall it and dispose of the filled extractor.

Sans lifting car.
That's fine. I'm not knocking your method - just saying it's not exactly difficult to do it the old fashioned way.

There's no need to lift the car to drain the oil on the MDX - it's high enough to not need to. I don't know about the 'S' with the variable suspension - if it has an option to leave it higher or if it drops to lower than normal. Do you know about that aspect of it?

I end up lifting the vehicle anyway since I change the oil filter with each change and rotate the tires with each change (the timing lines up for it) but the actual oil drain part I do without lifting it (on my 3G and I know I'm posting in the 4G section but I don't think this aspect changed between the two with the possible exception of the 'S' with the air suspension which maybe you can confirm).

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S Platinum White Pearl
77 Posts
On the type S, you can actually preset which mode to default to when the car is shut off. So you can have it at Normal/Comfort height, or the highest setting as "Lift Mode" everytime you turn off the car. Would imagine that Lift Mode would make oil changes even easier too.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S Platinum White Pearl
77 Posts
Something so minor made a huge difference. I used masking tape and sharpie to cover that Rear power light on the blackvue. It was too bright in the rear view mirror.

Microphone Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Hood

·
Registered
185 Posts

Some new technique to learn, yes, but once you get good at it (2 or 3 changes tops) it's so much better.
Oil changes and fluid changes on this car is really easy. There are no splash shields or anything like that in the way. Every oil change requires a tire rotation anyways so you are already jacking up the car. Busting out the fluid extractor and then waiting for it to pull from the dip stick takes longer IMO. I would only use one for cars hard to work (cars with a ton of under body panels in the way) or accessing the plugs is difficult, eg my boat.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S Advance, Liquid Carbon, Ebony
59 Posts
Not sure of the correct lingo, but had it buffed and paint sealed today. She looks pretty.

An aside, I'm really happy with this liquid carbon metallic color! It changes so much between the sun, where all that metallic shows, and the shade, where it looks dark. I initially wanted something that was always dark but this contrast really grew on me

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Car Tire Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
254 Posts
Agree.
And you still have to change the oil filter which means you either jack up the right side (if you want to remove/rotate the wheel) or just turn the wheel far to the right to access the oil filter.
Removing the drain plug and reinstalling with a new crush washer is a piece of cake.
I do not jack up my MDX to do either.
And I wear disposable gloves to reduce contact with any oil.
On changing the filter …. I have used the “bag” method, wrapping the frame underneath the oil filter with foil or shop towels, and the “form a funnel”. All of them work, but after changing oil on my vehicles for 50 yrs now, I would say the form a funnel probably works better/cleanest for the MDX.

But this device might be even better ….

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Automotive design
Font Screenshot Technology Software Multimedia

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX Type S
12 Posts
I washed it and then completed the black chrome project by adding the A mark emblem on the hatch. I also removed the black sticker behind the emblem. I think it looks a bit cleaner without the sticker on a white vehicle. Can't believe you have to completely disassemble the rear hatch to do the job right. It's not a difficult job, just time consuming.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts