Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blue 2014 MDX, and I want to buy some touch up paint. I thought the color is Fathom Blue. I googled "Acura fathom blue touch up paint" and one of the first hits is from Amazon for Acura MDX Touch up Paint - Fathom Blue Pearl B-576P.

I almost bought it but then I read somewhere to check the color code posted inside the driver side door. So I go to check, and it says B588P. So I go back to Amazon, and B588P comes back as Obsidian Blue Pearl. So which is it?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I have wondered this as well, but Acurazine folks have discussed it over the years and came to this conclusion: Fathom Blue Pearl is indeed listed as B588P and so is Obsidian Blue Pearl. Honda also calls their blue Obsidian Blue Pearl for B588P. They appear to be the same color, but are called two different things (Canada is Obsidian Blue Pearl, US is Fathom Blue Pearl). Not sure if it's correct, but asking a dealer should net you the same response that B588P appears to be the right one (also shows up on places like Bernardi and OEMAcuraParts as B588P).

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I bought the B588P touch-up pen for my Fathom Blue MDX. The pen states 'Obsidian Blue'. I double checked with the parts person at the dealership at the time and they assured me it's the same color and by using it I can see that it is.

These silly names are for marketing reasons and result in things like this. Acura must think the name 'Obsidian' is more compelling on one geo and 'Fathom' more so in another geo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses! I called the parts department of my Acura dealer to ask about this and gave them my VIN. They said they have the touch up paint in stock, and when I went to pick it up -- sure enough it said B588P Obsidian Blue. Meanwhile I double checked the original sticker on my car and it says Fathom Blue.

I feel reasonably confident that my Fathom Blue is actually Obsidian Blue, and I sounds like I'm not the only one. What I wonder, though, is which cars get the B576P that is actually called Fathom
Blue? Did they change the blue later on in the production cycle? (Mine is an early 3G build, 06/2013, and it is a US car, not Canada.)

Does anyone here have a blue MDX with the color code B576P on their door label? Just curious...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts