Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be helping my sister .....by doing brake pad replacement on both of her MDXs 2004 and a 2006. I have watched the youtube videos and I am ready to do my first brake job! I am usually an OEM guy...but before i go and spend $60.00 on OEM pads.......is there a general consensus on an aftermarket pad that works great for a better price?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I have been using the Akebonos for both of my Xs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the Akebono's on my stock resurfaced rotors. This past summer I bought the BrakeMotive front&rear drilled & slotted rotors with ceramic pads off of eBay. The pad has a similar design as the Akebono and the rotors are awesome. Plus they look really great, too. It's a popular set and if you order early enough from them you will get your package the next day via FedEx like I did.
Brake Motive front&rear set (click) 2003-2006

2001-2002 (click)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also use Akebono Pro-ACT pads. The Wagner Thermoquiet pads are the other popular mainline pad, and I was pretty disappointed in them on a Chrysler minivan. Their formulation for the MDX may be better, I don't know. I do know the Akebonos are superb.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've also used Akebono Pro-Act pads for my 04 MDX in addition to OEM. Akebono lasted 70K+ miles but I thought it compromised the braking effectiveness. Went back to OEM that would only last approximately 40K miles but much better brake feel.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'd go Akebono, never been disappointed with them. FYI - they're an OEM supplier to Honda

Don't forget to get the recommended Molykote M77 lubricant, synthetic brake grease for the sliding pins, and quality anti-seize to put on any bolt you've removed before reinstalling it

PS: most important parts of a brake job if you want good pedal feel is to bleed the calipers properly and to bed in the pads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts