Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally have detailed 4 vehicles. Changed all the fluids in a 2008 Nissan Frontier. Checked all tire pressures 4-5 times. Cleaned shop, prepared the golf cart for summer, still have to wash it. Had two steers slaughtered and picked up meat. Moved daughter home from college. Got her a job for the summer. Picked weeds, ready for yard service to start. I could go on... what are you guys doing to catch up on things while you’re home from COVID-19, if you’re home?

·
Registered
152 Posts
oil change, polish and wax on my Mercedes 97 SL500 and E420
brake fluid flush, allison deep pan installation, aux fuel pump and aux fuel filters installed on my 2015.5 Denali 2500HD duramax diesel truck
DCT transmission fluid change and TMU fluid change on the MDX sports hybrid.
Get the trailer ready for summer campouts (if campgrounds open up!)

Thankfully I have a quickjack portable hydraulic lift system to get them up off the ground to easily work underneath.
Then on to some garage and attic projects and some inside remodeling projects that have been on the list for a while.
And in the evenings catch up on a long list of netflix and amazon videos.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I haven't even washed my 19 MDX in weeks. We started a home remodel job at the end of Feb and everything has been pushed out until after May. My garage is full of remodel stuff and I have to keep my cars outside with the rainy, windy, and dusty conditions we get daily.

I did take my 18 RLX Hybrid to get PPF and ceramic coating done. The installer is needing more time to finish because of delays in shipping for film. We are in a shelter in place order in New Mexico; but, everyone still are running the streets at the same rate before the order.

Other than that, spraying for weeds, changing out light bulbs to LED, wife and I living/eating/cooking/working/sleeping in 3 rooms because of remodel, and walks around the neighborhood. If I clear out enough space in the garage, I can work on our bikes to get ready for the spring/summer riding season.

Reactions: redup

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My garage is full of remodel stuff and I have to keep my cars outside with the rainy, windy, and dusty conditions we get daily.

Its the start of pollen season here in Atlanta, so I ended up moving my Resto-Mod to the back yard and covered it (needs engine work and brake work, I'm going to wait till pandemic is over to work on it), so I could get another car into the garage. Which leaves one car out in the harsh cruel world uncovered, but I only have so much garage space. My son took the hit in his old Nissan Frontier, he doesn't care if his car is clean, he is rebelling against me... I hate leaving my cars outside. It bothers me all that sheet metal baking in the sun fading the paint.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So I finished step one of the turtle wax hybrid SiO2 coating today on the ‘10 TSX. Used the Meguiars clay bar kit first, which was the easy part, it turns out. My arms wore out from applying the wax/polish coat of the ceramic stuff. Anxiously awaiting the 24 cure period before I apply the spray coat, and then I’ll be stoked to take some videos of water beading off of it after another 24h cure!

Don’t have a garage so both of my babies sit in the Florida sun 24/7 365. The TSX has definitely dulled a tiny bit since new, but my keeping a regular coat of carnuba on it has likely helped. Hoping this ceramic does even more to keep the ‘19 MDX looking new over the next decade, though we’re almost at the stage of upgrading houses to one with a garage.

Question: After this first 24h cure period, given that my cars sit outside (under an EZ-up currently), what should I do before applying the spray coat of ceramic? Safe to rinse at that point? Or just use some spray detailer and a microfiber to get rid of any particles before doing the spraycoat of ceramic?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Question: After this first 24h cure period, given that my cars sit outside (under an EZ-up currently), what should I do before applying the spray coat of ceramic? Safe to rinse at that point? Or just use some spray detailer and a microfiber to get rid of any particles before doing the spraycoat of ceramic?

My vehicles pick up a surprising amount of dust, pollen and other crap sitting in the driveway, though it varies by time of year, weather conditions,... To be safe, a quick rinse and dry and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got back from a road trip of 600 miles, went through some bug conventions. And guess what with this new hybrid wax they come right off, no problem. No scrubbing, no bug remover etc, they just come off. Can’t believe how easy. Washed it with the cheap turtle wax car wash from Walmart. I am sold on this turtle wax hybrid polish and spray.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I purchased the Chemical Guys Foam Blaster last year. I like to soak the vehicle with foam gun with soap, rinse off to knock off loose dust/dirt/pollen, and soak again. I use a ceramic booster soap in the foam gun and 5 gal wash bucket to do the vehicle in sections (grit guard in bucket). Microfiber wash mitt and microfiber drying towels do a good job of extending the life of the ceramic coating and keeping the ceramic coating scratch free. Zero issues with summer baked on bugs coming off and haven't noticed any scratches on my fathom blue pearl paint after +10 months with ceramic coating+PPF.

Americana Ceramic Soap (only need 1 cap-full per wash), Amazon, $21:
Chemical Guys ACC 326, Amazon, $44: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5MCL14/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just got back from a road trip of 600 miles, went through some bug conventions.
Too bad the bugs don't have to shelter in place ;)

with this new hybrid wax they come right off, no problem. No scrubbing, no bug remover etc, they just come off.
I've had good luck with Klasse, Colonite and pre-wash treatment with Bugs N All for extreme splatter cases. On the other hand, I'm also a junkie for car polishes, waxes,... which very much evident in the overflowing car care shelf in my garage. Given the testimonials here, I may have to give this TW Hybrid stuff a try....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is there a reason soap needs to be used during a wash if the ceramic coating is good? Shouldn’t a water rinse and wipe with a microfiber mitt knock everything off?

Also, do I need to dry with microfiber or can I continue using my Absorber synthetic chamois?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I am not doing anything. I cancelled insurance for my MDX and BRZ when shelter in place.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I use BT to give each of my car a full charge every week.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Is there a reason soap needs to be used during a wash if the ceramic coating is good? Shouldn’t a water rinse and wipe with a microfiber mitt knock everything off?

Also, do I need to dry with microfiber or can I continue using my Absorber synthetic chamois?
I noticed you still get "stuff" stuck to the surface with a ceramic coating (acid rain, bird poop, bug guts, oil based stains, etc...). I can still have a film on the surface of my MDX after I soak/rinse with my foam gun to knock off loose dirt before I start my soak/hand mitt wash next. It seems like the soapy microfiber mitt does a good job of removing that fine layer of dirt/grease/grime without scratching the ceramic surface. Only using a soapy mitt removed the noticeable stains on ceramic coated paint caused by spilling gas on the paint below my gas cap area.

I stopped using my real and synthetic chamois because every YouTube vehicle detail vid uses microfiber to wash and dry. A good microfiber will perform exactly like a high quality chamois (work better once wet, can do interiors, can do inside windows, no streak drying). I like microfiber because I can put wash/dry towels in the washer and air dry afterwards (dryer heat dry can melt microfiber together lessening its effectiveness). Find myself needing to ring out my microfiber towels a lot less and easier to ring out compared to my chamois. I can almost do the entire MDX with a few ringouts with my microfiber and the wife can finish up behind me with her microfiber.

I purchased a high priced microfiber from Walmart and it was crap. The Walmart microfiber left a streaky film on the surface that looked hazy. Tried out the Chemicla Guys Woolly Mammoth dryer towel and that thing is well worth the $25: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042Z0LEO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
492 Posts
^^^Do you do a sheet rinse before you dry? A full size MF drying towel like the Wooly Mammoth should not need to be rung out. I can dry two cars with one towel, but I'll let them rest for a bit before I get after drying.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I can do the RLX without ringing out with one MF Wooly mammoth. I have a smaller MF for door jams, interior, trunk area, and under the hood to finish up. The larger MDX might take 1-2 ring outs to keep streak free drying. It might be the fathom blue pearl color of the MDX is the reason why I notice the streaks more if the MF isn't rung out a few times during drying.

I purchased a chamois and clothes wringer with stand on Amazon back in 2014 to save my hands/wrists. Best investment I made for car care along with ceramic and PPF coatings. Before then, I had to ring out my med size chamois and do the same for the wife +10X when drying our 11 MDX (before switching to larger MF). I can't ring out the same amount of water by hand on the X-large MF; but, the ringer stand can for a streak free shine.

The cheapest I could find at the time was $270; but, it has paid for itself in the last +6 years of flawless use:
I also got tired of all the drips after a wash. The 19 MDX leaks, runs, and drips from everywhere from hidden places compared to other Acura I've owned. Out of frustration, I broke out my electric leaf blower on full power to see if that would help and it really did. I was able to get all the extra water hiding in the grill, fog lights area, emblems, window seams, trunk area, side steps/rocker panels, gas door, side mirrors, side molding, under the hood, wipers arms, lug nuts, and roof rail with ease.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Haven't done much. Just detailed the interior, steam cleaned the air vents, cleaned the steering wheel (boii, these Acura steering wheels collect alot of dirt and mud from the hands). Hadn't washed it since my move back from college as I ran it through the wash there. Thinking about clay barring the entire vehicle soon. I did cleaned most of the engine bay with all-purpose cleaner and a large brush to remove the dust.

For stains on the carpet in the trunk behind the 3rd row, what do you guys use to clean that off? I tried using my all purpose cleaner and microfiber towel, but it work at all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Haven't done much. Just detailed the interior, steam cleaned the air vents, cleaned the steering wheel (boii, these Acura steering wheels collect alot of dirt and mud from the hands). Hadn't washed it since my move back from college as I ran it through the wash there. Thinking about clay barring the entire vehicle soon. I did cleaned most of the engine bay with all-purpose cleaner and a large brush to remove the dust.

For stains on the carpet in the trunk behind the 3rd row, what do you guys use to clean that off? I tried using my all purpose cleaner and microfiber towel, but it work at all.
Best carpet cleaner I've found is "spot shot" Use it in the house, car, trailer. If it won't take dirt/stain out, likely nothing else will.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I have a tri-fold cargo mat in the back and all weather mats for the rest. Don't have to worry about dirt, stains, or spills. Clean up can be a quick shake outside to a quick wash/rinse on wash day. The rear cargo mat has saved me from having to spot scrub the rear hatch numerous times.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts