Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you MDX owners feeding into your CD players, especially those rabid audiophiles that have seen fit to upgrade the Bose system?
Here's my latest list of faves:

1) Kings Of Convenience "Quiet Is The New Loud" -Modern day Simon & Garfunkelish duo from Norway (that's a good thing!).

2) St. Germain "Tourist" -Cool mix for electronic music fans who never thought they'd like Jazz (and vice versa), on the Blue Note label!

3) Blondie "Parallel Lines" (remastered) -Went out and bought all the early Blondie remasters only to realize this is still my favorite.

4) Air "10.000 Hz Legend" -Came out almost a year ago and sounds like it came out in 1981 (once again, these are good things).

5) Ultra.Chilled "01" -Impress your teenage sons and daughters with this compilation of laid back club music (without getting a headache).

·
Registered
715 Posts
BostonX....things look a bit lonely here :D on this thread.

I for one, went nuts when Napster was Napster and downloaded a ton of songs. Now I use BearShare or Kaazaa. True, many of the songs I downloaded I already had either on CD or (dare I share my age?) cassette.

But the rest I have absolutely no guilt downloading in MP3 to use on my computer or MP3 player to make up for all the money I spent on CD's (typically $15.99) when all they had was one song that I liked.;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally, a reply!

Thanks for the post Octavian, I was beginning to wonder if MDX owners only listened to those "books on CD" deals or worse (that Garth Brooks/Celine Dion duet album).
I too have spent many hours (on the clock) downloading off Napster and I feel no sympathy for the record companies because I've spent my kid's college tuition on CDs of music that I already own on vinyl and tape and on the "remastered" versions of CDs that I bought a couple years ago. Now I've got to go out and get an MP3 player...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Depends on the mood.

Mondays while rushing to my office- I put on Metallica, D.O.A., Rob Zombie, Anthrax. Mondays driving home from work before sunset along the ocean coast- I put on Gipsy Kings, Enigma, Evangelist.

Tuesdays while taking my time to go to work- I put on a complilation CD i made which consists of ALL of my favorite of Arias such as Barber of seville, Madame butterfly, etc etc. Tuesdays driving home...Smooth sounds of Jazz on 98.10 FM

Wednesdays to work...If its Sunny...Van Halen. if its cloudy...The Cult.. Wenesdats from work to home...Limp Bizkitz.

Thursday mornings- Beastie Boys. Thursday to home...Mozart

Friday mornings- Soundtrack from PULP fiction. Fridays driving to home- TRANCE(an English CD I bought that consists of undergroung trance and rave music.

Saturdays and Sundays- happy music mon....Bob Marley and the Boston whalers, Basha, electronica..

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Mostly peppy classical, plus The Judds, and a little bit of Bonnie Raitt.:D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Alright, bout time someone started this thread again! If you're interested in seeing the breadth of music folks listen to, check out:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=873

Currently in my player are:

Laurie Anderson - Mister Heartbreak

Ruby: Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe - Disk 1
(techno radio play from years ago I got for a Christmas present - check out www.zbs.com - contains some great tracks by the Android Sisters. Any other Ruby fans out there?)

Balkans Without Borders - can never get enough Balkan music! :D

Hedningarna - ancient Scandanavian music on amped up instruments and 2 female Finnish vocalists. Incredible stuff, saw this band in Uppsala, they tour the states now and then. Boston, go to (www.noside.com) and pick up the $5 sampler CD, bet you'll like it!

White Album, disk 1 (for the kids)

Mark Knofler - Sailing to Philadelphia

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Currently in mine:

1. Enigma
2. Pat Metheny (Still Life Talking)
3. Pure Funk :D
4. Everlast (Whitey Ford Sings the Blues)
5. Sting (Brand New Day)
6. The Best of Billy Joel (Vol. 1)

J

·
0 Posts
Never heard of above-mentioned "Artists"

I listen to real music:

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas (Moonlight, etc.) -- Brendel, pianist

Chopin: Assorted piano music -- Rubenstein pianist

Mosart: Piano sonatas -- Uchida pianist

Beethoven: Violin Concerto and Romances for Violin
Gremeaux violinist

Rossini: Sonatas for strings

Also "The Greatest Hits of 1720 and 1721" -- Assorted Composers

Only the best for my MDX!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: Never heard of above-mentioned "Artists"

johnnyreb said:
I listen to real music:

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas (Moonlight, etc.) -- Brendel, pianist

Chopin: Assorted piano music -- Rubenstein pianist

Mosart: Piano sonatas -- Uchida pianist

Beethoven: Violin Concerto and Romances for Violin
Gremeaux violinist

Rossini: Sonatas for strings

Also "The Greatest Hits of 1720 and 1721" -- Assorted Composers

Only the best for my MDX!
Hmmm... Let me think about that for a few seconds...."real Music" Music is music...by any nature, any genre, any ethnic, any era...music is created base on the premise of human creativities and emotions...What you do not consider music...other may grasp as artistic sounds to their ears...

Now...Let's take case in point to your likes in music:
1) Ludwig Van Beethoven DOES NOT just write sonatas...some of his most intriguing works are symphonies, i.e. no. 5 and no. 9. Of course..his Moonlight Sonata is well known also but some fail to listen to its entire sonata for the prelude, the body and coda...
2) Federick Chopin did not just composed "assorted" piano music....he wrote etudes which are also well respected.
3)By the way....its Mozart NOT "mosart" some consider him the son of God for his talents in his days...and I dont believe Amadeus wrote sonatas...I know that he wrote concertos, operas and minuetos...

And by the way....try playing some Eagles or Rolling stones or Boston or Pink Floyd or Placido Domingo or hell...some speed metal like ANthrax...You will find that the Bose system in the ACura MDX is quite a system...Especially if you have the touring model. What ever tunes..Its music baby!

J

·
0 Posts
Fireblade6:

Hey "baby", you shouldn't be so hard on this ol' rebel. Y'all know we can only spell pik-up truk correctly. Of course you are correct about Mozart and maybe the Eagles ain't too bad. Sorry if I offended thee (must have hit a raw nerve!). I was only joking about the "real music". Guess you didn't think it was funny. Music I guess is in the ear of the beholder. Although what passes for some "music" today escapes me personally -- just my opinion please don't get mad. I didn't intend to write an essay on music or Beethoven or Mozart, etc. (got it right this time). Just tellin' what was loaded in my ol' record machine at the time. You are incorrect about old Wolfgang not writing piano sonatas though. He wrote many and some of the best loved ever written. I should know, I have them all. You are very perceptive however about the Moonlight sonata (most people do only listen to the first movement) and of course Chopin didn't write "assorted" piano music. Besides etudes, he also wrote waltzes, nocturnes, polonaises, mazurkas, barcarolles, ballads, impromptus and a piano concerto. Most people in this group seem to favor "rock and roll' and I thought they might be a bit bored with a treatise on classical music. Just wanted to let y'all know that some of us (at least one of us) were fans of the old masters. Anyway "baby", keep on listening to the music you love. Whatever turns you on "baby". Of course my all-time favorite is "Dixie" written by some Yankee dude.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: Fireblade6:

johnnyreb said:
Hey "baby", you shouldn't be so hard on this ol' rebel. Y'all know we can only spell pik-up truk correctly. Of course you are correct about Mozart and maybe the Eagles ain't too bad. Sorry if I offended thee (must have hit a raw nerve!). I was only joking about the "real music". Guess you didn't think it was funny. Music I guess is in the ear of the beholder. Although what passes for some "music" today escapes me personally -- just my opinion please don't get mad. I didn't intend to write an essay on music or Beethoven or Mozart, etc. (got it right this time). Just tellin' what was loaded in my ol' record machine at the time. You are incorrect about old Wolfgang not writing piano sonatas though. He wrote many and some of the best loved ever written. I should know, I have them all. You are very perceptive however about the Moonlight sonata (most people do only listen to the first movement) and of course Chopin didn't write "assorted" piano music. Besides etudes, he also wrote waltzes, nocturnes, polonaises, mazurkas, barcarolles, ballads, impromptus and a piano concerto. Most people in this group seem to favor "rock and roll' and I thought they might be a bit bored with a treatise on classical music. Just wanted to let y'all know that some of us (at least one of us) were fans of the old masters. Anyway "baby", keep on listening to the music you love. Whatever turns you on "baby". Of course my all-time favorite is "Dixie" written by some Yankee dude.
Did my response seem rather harsh? Sorry...Just pontificating I guess.

I just feel that folks should have an open mind when it comes to music.

Again...apologies for coming off too strong

J

·
0 Posts
Hey Fireblade6:

No apology necessary. Us rebels have very thick skins (also strong backs and weak minds). At least we can agree on the MDX being the best all-purpose vehicle ever made if we can't agree on what constitutes "real music". Gots ta go now and hoist the stars and bars up the flagpole to annoy the Yankees goin' south down route I-81 past New Market battlefield.

Regards,

Johnnyreb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts