Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound crazy, but I actually let my black/saddle/touring X go (was to be delivered end of this month) and just joined the end of the line for a silver/touring/nav. I'm in Colorado, and the dealer said I'm now looking at an August delivery (which I hope means July). How certain should I be that I will still get an 02 and receive by August at the latest? My fear is that I'm made to wait even longer, getting stuck when the factory shuts down to retool for 03. Any thoughts? How is this determined? How do you know there are only 6000 left to be manufactured this year (someone just posted this)? How does my dealer have confidence in July delivery?

By the way, changed my mind because I really did want that Nav, and the silver kept growing on me as I've been waiting. Plan on keeping the truck for 5 years and want no regrets! Feel much better now even though I have to wait a bit longer. Finally realized even though the Nav is not at all needed in CO, it is just a very cool toy that will add immensely to my overall enjoyment!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I said that, because I thought that was the approximate production slated for this year. Considering it's May, and there are fewer colors available, I don't believe it will be much longer.
Maybe someone has a 'tag' on how long it really is. Does someone know what month production stopped on the '01, and did it just stop, or taper off?

·
Registered
285 Posts
the '02 MDX came out in showrooms at dealerships in november last year, i would think it will be the same for '03 MDX... which means acura will start producing '03 mdx in october..... just guessing here.....

august delivery is gonna be ok, your mdx probably will be assembled in july...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Production switchover?

I'm pretty darn sure that the switchover can happen veryveryfast.

Like in a week or less if they needed to...

With refined manufacturing techniques (and cooperative suppliers) it isn't like there are "stockpiles" of anything leftover from the '02s.

Nobody has said anything about sheetmetal changes, with might require re-doing assembly tooling (and even that COULD be done inside of a week...).

Basically the shutdown allow the bits & pieces left over to accomadate a dropped screw or scratched seat to be sent to the parts makers/parts warehouse. The different assembly materials (adhesives, wiring tools, etc) that MIGHT be needed for "changed option sets" are delievered bit-by-bit so that assembly workers can be trained and learn about changes.

The days of "model year switchover" idling the factory for weeks are no longer needed.

(Note all this stuff is based on my direct experience with "the blue oval" company. I was involved in an IT project that related to their supply chain managment. I'm not saying that they DO things this way, just that it is technically feasible...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nesta, which dealership are you using. We have ordered ours from Courtesy and they are telling us it's a July delivery.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Would it be easier to ask your salesperson for a build date. They should have a book to look it up in. Then point blank ask him or her what model year it will be.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
nesta,

How bad do you want one soon? If you have the energy, try calling lot's of dealers and you may be surprised! We got our X that way. You may find that you "get lucky". IMHO, you may find that "you make your own luck". Why limit your search to Colorado? It appears that Xs have been more available in So CA [supply has improved and/or demand has decreased].

Just for kicks, I just went out to the Acura web site and did a search for Acura dealers in the LA area [100 mile radius]. There are 22 dealers listed!! All you need is one zip code in a major metropolitan area and the web site provides the rest.

So, if you are inclined, go for it :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: Production switchover?

renov8r said:
I'm pretty darn sure that the switchover can happen veryveryfast.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hypothetically --

NO.

Again, this is from a project that I was involved with a real-live automaking company (the blue oval guys).

They had the ability ALREADY built into their SYSTEMS (not neccessarily their people...) to just switch ANY component mid-stream and have it delivered ON-TIME so that the vehicle could be built.

I assume Honda/Acura is AT LEAST as capable in this area.

Now, the capability is not the same as doing it (witness the Havasua Blue delays...) and there are other NON-TECHINCAL issues (like how do you get the dealers knowledge where it needs to be, and get the OK from legal about all the requirements as far as notification).

I believe these are all factors that get resolved during model year switch-over.

I can speculate all I care to, but I have no inside info.

OTOH I kinda thought there WAS an Acura supplier posting on the boards a while ago. They've been pretty quiet lately. [The paranoid part of me wants to suggest that Acura legal 'suggested' to the supplier that he double check the terms of his NDA before posting anything that could be a 'trade secret'...]

If Honda/Acura wanted to make Honda stores happy & Acura stores happy, one could argue that a change in the engine would be TOP PRIORITY to keep under TIGHTEST WRAPS...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Would it make sense that Acura would adjust they timelines for ending '02 production, so they can start '03 production in order to make delivery schedules by Oct-Nov?

For DaleB:
Whats causing the delay of your delivery? Acura or transport company? I see from other threads you test drove at Hopkins acura, but ordered elswhere for sooner delivery. I'm on the list for '03 at Hopkins. Working with Arlene, very nice people to do business with.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Acura and/or the transport company. Car is in, getting tow pkg installed last I communicated with dealer. They added about $250 in goodies for my delay.
Hopkins is very good, I worked with Michael Andrews. I changed because of a mess up, I changed from base + navi to touring + navi, but somehow that was never communicated properly.
In actuality, I probably would have a car from Hopkins in the same time frame. It's been an experience. But I learned a lot too! ( I tried a 'broker' at one point). I could have had a car 2 weeks ago from Niello, but not my color choice. Desert Acura is excellent, and my wife gets a small vacation in Palm Springs. So everybody gets something in the long run!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts