Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the main accessories i want are:

-power passenger seat(so far only available with touring?)
-wood steering wheel
-base carrier
-rear splash guards
-moonroof visor
-wood shifter

...i ordered the touring package... but i'm thinking of dropping the touring because of a lot of unessary accessories(bose system/i plan customizing my own system and upgraded alloys/i plan on sitting on 20's by next summer)... i'm thinking of going with the base and installing the accessories my self... and also prossibly getting the navi system... help?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
IMHO

Go with the base model with navagation then. I wouldn't recommend the aftermarket navagation units. The Acura is highly rated. The wheels, tires, wood items, side bars, splash guards, visor, and all items you can install yourself. Get the parts from hondacuraworld from the internet, he has the best prices. May have to give up the memory seats and right tilt mirror and power passenger seats. You will save alot though!!!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
What Accessories Do YOu Recommend?

None unless you can get a better price than the dealers were quoting me. I checked with 5 and all wanted too much for add ons.

The only accessory I had the dealer install was the tow package, paid the high price because I wanted the transmission and steering coolers warranteed for 4/50000.

Even if you don't want to install yourself, and many items appear to be easy by the way, you will save many bucks by buying from Tim and paying some local garage to install.

I just ordered the rear mud guards and the bug deflector from Tim and plan to install myself. When you order from HondaWorld they give you a link to UPS tracking system, a nice service. Just checked on the items I ordered. Will be delivered Monday.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
mymdxiscoming said:

l plan on sitting on 20's by next summer... prossibly getting the navi system... help?
Spend the money on the navigation system instead of the 20's. You could always add those latter, you will regret not having the navigation.

·
Registered
124 Posts
FutureMDXer

Personally, I would have the dearler install the wood steering wheel. I would buy the wheel from Tim, but would not attempt to install it myself.

If you must have the power passenger seat (which is nice), I would buy the Touring option. Adding only the power seat to the Basic vehicle might cost nearly as much.

All other accessories, you can buy from Tim and install yourself. I'm all thumbs most of the time and I installed all of my accessories. It is not that hard. In fact, it is kind of fun to do it yourself and admire the results of your own work.

Good luck.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks this has to be 1 of the best sites for getting your questions answered...

...if i do decide to go down the do it myself rode i will probably do everything myself except for the wood steering wheel... has anyone done that on their own?

...acura was smart for making that passenger power seat a touring option... decisions

...and its a 90% chance of me getting the navi system...

... in addition the 20 inch rims is a next year thing... that has no effect on whether or not i will get the navi system...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Re: Re: What accessories do you recommend the dealer install

BaldEagle said:

Spend the money on the navigation system instead of the 20's. You could always add those latter, you will regret not having the navigation.
I do not have the navigation and have no regrets about not getting it. It is all a matter of personal preference, to each his own.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Re: Re: What accessories do you recommend the dealer install

rvehock said:

IIt is all a matter of personal preference, to each his own.
Very true, each person has different likes and needs. I should have said "I would have regretted not having the navigation system." I originally ordered without and changed before arrival to navigation system.

With that being said I also think that the navigation is like the microwave oven, garage door opener, ice maker in refrig, and other things that you can do without, but once you have you will not do without. When I buy another car it will also have a navigation system. I am from a small town, travel to large towns often, have a terrible sense of direction, get lost in large towns all the time, so the navigation was important to me. I almost made a big mistake and thanks to advice from this site I was able change my order to better suit my needs.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I actually did the reverse of you, I already had the Navi ordered and changed my mind and cancelled it at the last minute. No regrets, if I had a chance to do it again, I would go the same route.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Nav System

Nav system is nice [we have it]. Key is you must use it to benefit BECAUSE this appears to be an option that is:

(1) Expensive [well, $2K is expensive to me anyway].

(2) An option that "depreciates VERY quickly"!! Based on some light research, appears that the NAV system offers very little residual over time [50% maybe after 1 year and quickly downhill after that].

With that said, we have the NAV and no regrets.

Addtionally, I am guessing but I believe that the residual value of the Base and the Touring will probably be close over time. Specifically, the Touring will depreciate faster IMHO. So buy the Touring if you want the features. We have Touring because wanted the Power Pass Seat and the Bose. Seat is great, Bose %$#@*$% [seems to be a common observation].

Hope my 2 cents have some value ... :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went with base b/c:

1) I didn't want to pay $2k for NAV (I may have done it for $1k) esp. when I drive mostly to places I already know.

2) I didn't want to pay +$2k for Touring just for power front passenger seats and roof rack - I didn't care for the other options in Touring and I actually like the base rims better.

Before deciphering which accessory to order from Tim and install myself versus having the dealer install, I went to Tim's site and read the installation instructions for each part I was interested in.

Based on that and the level of effort I was willing to put in, I decided to have the dealer install the running boards, roof rack, and rear muds. Another reason I wanted to have these installed was b/c I negotiated them free of charge, both parts and labor. I refused to pay sticker on the X so I figured a $700 discount on accessories was better than nothing.

The only other thing I had to "install" was the RTD, which was very easy. There's been some hype about drilling through the door but it's not that bad at all.

The bottom line is, every accessory Tim sells can be installed by any reasonable person. The dealer has already made a pretty penny from the sale of the car. Why not save some $ and install yourself?

So to answer the original question of the thread: None - have the dealer install nothing unless it's free!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
dcmdx said:
I went with base b/c:

1) I didn't want to pay $2k for NAV (I may have done it for $1k) esp. when I drive mostly to places I already know.
Give it a second thought the Acura navagation is excellent, accurate, and integrated into the radio system. There are cheaper aftermarket, but not nearly as good as the factory installed one. The BMW, Mercedes and other high end vehicles navagation units are not nearly as good as Acura's. It has highly been recommended by many people. I would at least just get the nav and do everything else yourself with aftermarket parts. Take some time to think about it and get some opinions from different people before you lock into the the base without the navagation!!!!!

P.S. In addition to the directions the nav gives you access to yellow pages and locators for all types of places. Take a look at the navagation instruction book at the dealer. It does a whole lot more than just directions!!!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Still wondering about...

... the steering wheel & "installed prior to delivery warranty".

Does the steering wheel install involve anything complicated to align or require special tools???

I can understand the DEALERS wanting the extended warranty not applying to options installed after delivery (so they can BULLY buyers into coughing up the cash upfron) BUT as I see it, few (no) accessories have anything in THEM that would "fail/break/be improperly designed" that makes ANY SENSE to have covered by the extended warranty.

It's not like in the olde days where things like A/C, powerlocks, moonroof were on the accessory list, we're talking about a few hand tighened fittings on the coolers, 72 odd bolts on the side steps, half a pound of nylon netting for the speration net anybody see any value of having this stuff covered by warranty longer than 12 months???

·
Registered
77 Posts
hmmm, yellow pages! That's pretty neat. I didn't know that. I'm aware that Acura's nav system has a good reputation. I still don't think it justifies $2k for me. I think it boils down to how one will use it. Our X is driven primarily by my wife to transport our kids. I drive it on the weekends to run errands. If I were a professional that traveled to unfamiliar places in my X, I would probably get it. That's why I don't have it my Benz either. All I do is drive to/fro the office. Don't need nav or yellow pages for that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Steering wheel install

Look at the instructions to install the steering wheel.

It seems to me that there are a few forum members who have the skill to install the steering wheel without any problems. However, I suspect that most of us would have difficulty with it. Yes, it takes a special tool and a little experience and know how as well.

This is a very fine $40,000 vehicle. Why risk doing damage to your pride and joy to save installation costs for one accessory that the dealer could (and would) give you grief over later. This is the only accessory I would not try to install myself. Everyone of the others listed on Tim's website are child's play.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts