1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/0111/29/nyvolvo375.jpg
http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/0111/29/volvobakifran200.jpg
http://www.aftonbladet.se/bil/0111/29/volvorumpa200.jpg

7 seats (the back row goes into the floor a la MDX), new 4-wheel system, choices of 5 or 6 cyl. engines, and a 5 cyl. diesel (at least in European markets) - all engines will have turbo. They will be built at the Torslanda factory in Sweden = high quality. 65% of vechicles expected to sell in the North American market. Availability: Oct 2002...

·
Registered
7 Posts
new volvo

We looked at the volvo XC before deciding to put a deposit on an MDX. Factors were price/value and overall room and cargo capabilities. I read with interest about the new Volvo like you when I hear the news yesterday. I gotta believe that this will be priced well into the $40s and probably the MDX will still hold (IMHO) a much better price/value position. Volvo will have the edge on safety, and maybe seat comfort but I am not willing to pay a probable $5k plus for that.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Cool! I like it, though the rear-end isn't as good-looking as it could be. I'm also very curious about its final price (once it's optioned out). I figure mid-40's? The 270+ hp bi-turbo V6 is interesting, and so is the split rear tailgate. It has a lot of safety features the MDX lacks. I hope it rides as smoothly as a unibody-SUV should -- a lot of recent Volvos have a fairly rough ride.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the wrote in Swedish papers that it will start around 360,000 SKr, which is about $33,760. That quoted priced is without accessoires like leather, CD, cold weather packaged, child booster seat etc, but price quote incl. taxes.

I think the US price will keep being inflated (which they have been ever since Ford took over)

The new XC-90 also includes some new saftey features to protect against roll-over accidents (I don't have the details). Also, XC-90 is built "low" to not cause excessive damage on smaller cars in case of accident.

I, for one, am looking foward to test driving this one, but I don't think it is worth buying until 2003 model. The MDX is the first and last time I'll buy a first year model - it is always better to wait until at least the 2nd production year.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sven, thanks for the info,
I also have a 2001 delivered right around the time you got yours. Could you please quickly tell me the main problems you have had with your MDX to sour you on the thought of buying a first year model. Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gokings55,

my point w/ first year models is a generalization, it very much goes for cars, but also for many other products like e.g. first releases of software.

Overall I'm pretty happy w/ my MDX, but I do think that the "thump", the excessive wind noise, the sloshing gas tank w/ half full, and weeping mirrors are problems that shouldn't have been on the vechicle, given how long it took them to R&D it and take it to market. And there should be some retroactive fixes to those issues.

I think many cars have problems the first year they're out, just look at all the problems w/ the ML320-series the first year.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have also seen these pictures in the car section of a local newspaper. It says the XC 90 will be showcased in the Detroit auto show in January. Would be interested to find out more about this car.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
sven,
When I saw the XC 90 write up in US Today Thursday, my first thought was I bet you would be like a gerbil in heat on this one. The article cited specifically that it would be larger than the RX300 or X5 and more like the MDX in size. The other interesting thing was the drive system which will be FWD unless conditions merit and then switch power to the rear wheels. Sound familiar. My experience generally with first year problems is you are not like to see any major changes until the 4th model year when most manufacturers do redesigns. Based upon that, you should look at replacing your MDX with a XC90 in 2005, just about the time the warranty will be up on your MDX.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Here's the USA Today article that Bob mentioned (thanks, I looked it up and found it interesting):

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2001-11-29-volvos.htm

As mentioned, not a permanent distribution of power to all four wheels, like the MDX (engages "1/24 of a wheel rotation" -- dunno how long it takes the MDX's to engage).

Looking at the forums at www.SwedeSpeed.com, plenty of complaints about Volvo keeping customers in the dark until the last minute (gee, sound familiar?).

I still strongly suspect that the price will be high. E.g. the vehicle with the ~210 hp engine will be in or just above the MDX's neighborhood, but once you add options it'll rack up serious $'s. Then the 272 hp version will be significantly more costly.

I base this guess on comparative vehicle pricing. An XC wagon has a base MSRP of $36,500 (+ $625 destination), and when you add options like a package that includes leather, it goes for near $40k. Since the XC-90 is a more substantial, costly vehicle than the V70 XC, you can thus figure that it'll be more expensive. Volvo wouldn't want to shoot sales of the V70, afterall. Volvo is probably confident it can charge low-to-mid $40's for the vehicle, perhaps slotting it between an ML320 and an X5.

Whle you can get a V70 at a discount, I bet the XC-90 will be hot enough to command MSRP for quite some time. Say "Volvo SUV" and it'll generate a lot of interest, particular in the demographics that Volvo traditionally pursues in the U.S. It does look like a really nice vehicle.

Only time will tell, it's only my guess.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Volvo X90

I don't know the first thing about the X 90 , but I can tell you about a ' 99 S80 turbo that I traded in on my MDX. It was a well built car and I'm sure a safe car. It had it's own little quirks like our weeping mirrows, thumps etc. But it all stops there. If you think Acura is un responsive, they are 100% worse,if you do get to talk to an upity up, they are kurt and unfriendly.
And by the way,its Navigation system is not an Alpine. Enough said.
Big Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Big Al
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing