Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
For whatever its worth, my 2017 is my 5th MDX and rides the best of all the ones I had before! Yes, it is noisy over large bumps, but they are bumps.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been super impressed with the ride of my 2017 MDX SH-AWD Technology. Even with the 20" wheels, and living in LA where the roads are a mess, I find the overall ride to be smooth and stable. I only have 20K miles on my vehicle though, not 46K like the OP. My prior vehicle was a 2014 BMW 320i which was terrible by comparison - it was a jarring ride and hitting potholes would shake me to my bones. The MDX is silky smooth to me. But perhaps I don't have many other vehicles to compare it against.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm really really unimpressed with the ride quality of this MDX.

Having about 46k miles on the OD now, I sat in the back seat for the first time today and it felt like I was riding in a go cart. Simply terrible.

I've read through some of the posts regarding shocks and dampers,

I'm not interested in replacing anything now but, wow, what a bad ride!:crying2:

I thought I was the only one thinking this. At 33,000 it’s getting ruff. It’s the Michelin tires. After 30,000 they get hard and noisy. Was at the dealer on Tuesday, they asked if I wanted a rotation and balance. I mentioned the hard ride, and that a balance and rotation won’t cure that. The service writer smiled. I guess we’re not the only ones thinking it.
Shopping for new tires!
Or maybe an RX350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Shopping for new tires! Or maybe an RX350.
Ooof, that's a shame! Yes, it's a smoother ride, but oh, god, the brakes are awful. I once test drove one, almost had to change the underwear after stopping at a red light, and it wasn't even a super emergency stop! Could be just bad brakes, of course. But in any case, I'm not a fan of the interior, either in the old ones, or new.

Ride wise, I put the new stock 18" winter Michelins this winter, and was shocked how quiet and cushy they are! I couldn't stop smiling driving around for a week getting used to a much smoother ride. I can't imagine what changing back to summer tires would be like :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have a 2017 MDX with 20 inch wheels, and the only setting we use is "Comfort" unless the road is twisty and super smooth. I think Acura wants a sportier ride for their customers. Lexus RX350 is a lot cushier but does not handle worth anything on curvy roads, like a Buick. It is a harsh over bumps, I agree. My Honda Odyssey had a smoother ride but it was longer wheelbase and different setup. I have AWD and I wonder if that contributes to harsher ride or not, probably not.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also thought the ride in the mid row was worse than it should be. Especially after test driving the MDX back to back with the BMWs and Audis... But the wife liked the MDX the best out of everything we test drove. And we drove just about everything!

But it rides like a dream compared to the 06 F250 I had... I guess it's all relative. She's happy and that's all the really matters.

·
Registered
303 Posts
ride

I too have a 2017 MDX with 20 inch wheels, and the only setting we use is "Comfort" unless the road is twisty and super smooth. I think Acura wants a sportier ride for their wheelbase and different setup. I have AWD and I wonder if that contributes to harsher ride or not, probably not.

FYI - The comfort setting does nothing to the suspension, as it is not electronically controlled. Eases up the steering effort and provides less-aggressive transmission programming. I don't believe the AWD affects ride comfort, but might actually improve it a tad due to a higher vehicle weight with AWD. Here again, a vehicle in this price range should have electronically controlled drive modes, as most of its competition has them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
FYI - The comfort setting does nothing to the suspension, as it is not electronically controlled. Eases up the steering effort and provides less-aggressive transmission programming. I don't believe the AWD affects ride comfort, but might actually improve it a tad due to a higher vehicle weight with AWD. Here again, a vehicle in this price range should have electronically controlled drive modes, as most of its competition has them.
I'm actually glad it doesn't. More expensive to maintain... The Land Rover air bags last about 100k and they need replacing, and it ain't cheap to replace them... I'll take regular struts any day! But a slightly better ride would be nice too.

I also opted for the non AWD model for maintenance cost reasons. My wife's mechanic is lazy and only gets paid "in trade"...lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought I was the only one thinking this. At 33,000 it’s getting ruff. It’s the Michelin tires. After 30,000 they get hard and noisy. Was at the dealer on Tuesday, they asked if I wanted a rotation and balance. I mentioned the hard ride, and that a balance and rotation won’t cure that. The service writer smiled. I guess we’re not the only ones thinking it.
Shopping for new tires!
Or maybe an RX350.

I had an RDX before this and it was a harder ride for sure. I changed the Michelins around 50,000 to Pirelli’s and what a difference!
Tire rack has the Bridgestone, Pirelli and Continentals on the top of the list for comfort, then traction.
Decisions! Decisions!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've had both Continentals and Michelins on two third gen MDX and both were harsh when on a bumpy street. Smooth highways both were fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Soooooooo. My butt was right!
Just got back from the Acura dealer and one rear strut is leaking. They are replacing the two rear struts next week. I'm at 48k miles now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Soooooooo. My butt was right!
Just got back from the Acura dealer and one rear strut is leaking. They are replacing the two rear struts next week. I'm at 48k miles now.

Would be nice if you can get them to also replace the upper mounting bushings for those rear dampers, as that was part of a Service Bulletin for 2014-2016 but doubt they'd do it, as 17 is not on list. Nice that they're doing both dampers, as my dealer did (but no upper bushings). Didn't improve the ride, but mitigated the banging noises back there over bumps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Would be nice if you can get them to also replace the upper mounting bushings for those rear dampers, as that was part of a Service Bulletin for 2014-2016 but doubt they'd do it, as 17 is not on list. Nice that they're doing both dampers, as my dealer did (but no upper bushings). Didn't improve the ride, but mitigated the banging noises back there over bumps.
Thanks much for the heads up. I'll mention it when the dealer calls to set up the apportionment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm really really unimpressed with the ride quality of this MDX.
Having about 46k miles on the OD now, I sat in the back seat for the first time today and it felt like I was riding in a go cart. Simply terrible.
I've read through some of the posts regarding shocks and dampers,
I'm not interested in replacing anything now but, wow, what a bad ride!:crying2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel like I bought a lemon. This is my 2nd MDX and I can’t believe they call my package “smooth handling”. It’s like driving a jalopy flat bed. I feel every bump, rock and crack in the road. Also I feel a jolt when it shifts gears. This year MDX has so many issues.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I feel like I bought a lemon. This is my 2nd MDX and I can’t believe they call my package “smooth handling”. It’s like driving a jalopy flat bed. I feel every bump, rock and crack in the road. Also I feel a jolt when it shifts gears. This year MDX has so many issues.
Sorry, that's too bad. What year is it? Also, what tires do you have and what tire pressure are you running?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts